Anyone good at math? Question about gases

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by starcecil, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Alright so there is a space that is 284 cubic feet. If I was to sit in the corner and seal myself in,... Meaning no air would escape or come in from outside sources other than my lungs, and breathe 10 breaths / minute for 20 minutes; what would the concentration of CO2 be in the room? To make it easy we can assume each breath is half a liter and contains ~ 40,000ppm, and before I entered the amount of CO2 in the room was sealed. 1 liter is about 0.0353 cubic feet. I don't really know what other information you would need. If you need a temp of the air you could use 85 degrees. To rephrase it, what would the concentration of CO2 in ppm be in the space after breathing 10/minute for 20 minutes assuming none escapes.

2. #2 Guest, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    You're expelling .02 L of C02 with every breath.
    This is equal to 0.00002 cubic metres of CO2 every breath.

At a rate of 10 breaths a minute for 20 minutes you have expelled a total of 0.004 cubic metres of CO2.

284 cubic feet is equal to 8.042 cubic metres.

Therefore the final proportion of CO2 to air is (0.004/8.042) cubic metres, or about 0.0497%.

I've had a few beers today so forgive me if I've made a mistake.

EDIT: Just noticed it said HALF a litre with each breath. Made the necessary corrections.

3. my calculations were close, but slightly higher. A lot of the variables in this formula are based on averages that wont be perfectly tuned to you as a person.

It would be theoretically possible (under ideal conditions and slightly higher than average lung capacities) to double the atmospheric co2 content of the room in 15 minutes of normal physical activity (writing a message board post).

You're talking about using yourself as a co2 generator in your grow room (I ran across the other post)

So keep in mind that this production stops the second you leave the room (a lot of the efforts of which will exit the room as you open the door or curtain)

I'm not sure what the average plant consumption is, but you'll have to keep that in mind too.. as the plant will modify the atmosphere as well.

You'll have to figure out how often you would need to spend 15 minutes in your box to keep the atmosphere stabilized. Too tired to do that right now myself, :O

4. So that's why the OP was asking. I thought he had concocted an elaborate scheme to smuggle himself inside a cargo hold or something.

5. right or that he was gonna off him self

6. *nod* I was scratching my head over it at first too. lol

As for your sig- Fibonacci ftw ;)
    But I always wondered where the first 1 comes from!

7. lol thanks guys. I realize there were lots of things to take into account. I'm not really looking to have something sustained, I was just seeing how many ppm the whole area would increase if i was to leave and theoretically none escaped.

What would .0497% translate to in terms of ppm?

8. parts per million, right?

497 ppm. If I'm not mistaken