Anyone ever use hemp seed meal as fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Music_city, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Anyone ever use hemp seed meal as fertilizer?

I've been thinking about using it in my seed meal mix along with cottonseed meal, flaxseed meal and sunflower meal. I'm also considering using it in my ACTs.

I've done a bit of research but most of the information I have found is related to foods and nutrition for humans and livestock. Any thoughts?

I'll probably end up trying it anyway and see how it turns out. Not that I'll be able to discern any real effects from this one ingredient out of all the others. But what the hell right?:D

For more detailed info here is my soil mix. Based heavily on LD's mix.

1.5 c.f of Sunshine Natural and Organic planters mix
    ~1 c.f permatill (expanded slate)
    ~0.5 c.f mix of equal parts EWC/mushroom compost/humus

1 cup mix per c.f of:
    sunflower meal, flax seed meal, hemp seed meal, cottonseed meal and bone meal.

3/4~1 cup kelp meal

1.5 gallons Rock phosphate

2 tblsp. myco fungi

Thar she blows! Any comments or suggestions are welcome and encouraged!

2. :) If you are really going to do this mix I would love to see your grow. Keep us updated.

I am so very interested in organic/compost growing. :)

3. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the sunflower meal, I can't seem to locate this through web searching.

4. I found some at my local grocery store. Along with some flax seed. Neither of these are ground meals. Just the seed which I'll grind up in my coffee grinder.

5. Music_City

One thing to consider is that when discussing seed meals, specifically the flax/linseed, canola/rape seed meal, sunflower, soybean, cottonseed, neem seed meal, et al. - these are by-products after the oil has been pressed out for other uses.

If you're going to use a 'whole seed' that you've ground up you might want to consider the 'oil content' in your seed meals. Oil that would be present in relatively small amounts in the 'seed meals' sold for organic agriculture.

Not saying that your method isn't better (I suspect that it is better) - just factor in the oil content and go carefully into that good night.

HTH

LD

6. LD,

What would be the affect of the oils in your mix if you chose to grind the seeds yourself? Beneficial or the opposite? Would you recommend not adding as much of this homemade "meal" or mix as usual?

7. Man - good question. I certainly would use them at 1/2 the amount that you would normally use for say flax/linseed meal. Maybe less.

And DEFINITELY on a TEST PLANT! Like as in a single plant perhaps? LOL

That would be my method of testing to be sure. Then again I'm pretty cautious in the whole scheme of things. To say the least.

LD

8. If ever I choose to use this it will be done with caution. Thanks LD!

9. WEW! That was a close one!! Almost mixed my home made "meal" full strength. I'll take this in consideration when I mix my soil and transplant my cuttings this week. Thanks for the heads up Lumper!

I'll choose one test plant that will get my homemade seed mix and the other three with a more proven mix and try to document any differences in growth traits.

I doubt the test plant will grow exponentially better compared to a proven mix but it could save me some money that's for sure.

10. Er - I don't know but my money is on your experiment assuming that you apply your seed meals at a reduced level.

Let me know - I'm sincerely interested in your observations.

LD

11. Keep us posted on the amounts used and results seen. Thanks!

12. Cool, I create a new thread once everything is up and running.