Anyone ever toss everything away to follow their dreams?

Discussion in 'General' started by UNAB0MB3R, May 23, 2012.

1. Does anyone live life the way they want to live it anymore? I really want to be a race car driver, more then anything i've wanted in my life. Ever since I could remember, and there are certain steps I could take to get there. Nothing is guaranteed and it costs a fortune but I know I have the skills (I've raced rally and done shockingly well, and i've always been a good driver.) I just have never had the opportunity to race professionally.

Question is, who's got a story about chasing the dream? Anyone living it?

2. One time I got chased in a dream. Don't know it that counts. Let me know if you want to hear it.

3. 12 years ago I had a dream of being a nationally syndicated radio host and I actually made it from nobody ***** to producing for 3 nationally syndicated talk show hosts. By then though I realized I hated my job because the talk show hosts were shitty people. Did I actually get to taste my dream or live it. Hell, I dont know. I DO know that I will never work at another radio station again. The internet is where it's at.

4. My dream right now is to grow on a large scale, still chasing I'm not living it yet.

5. My dream is to bang two chicks at the same time....
    One day, one day..

6. Do you have two dicks? Or will the lovely ladies have to take turns?

7. I have an inspirational story for you:

I was working while in college, not doing well at school but the job was pretty nice. I had an apartment with a roommate and things were pretty chill. I started dating a girl who I wasn't too sure about but we had a lot of fun together.

When she was younger her parents sent her on a summer wilderness program where she backpacked with a group of people for several months. She had been looking into something called 'Youth Corps' in Colorado. It's very similar only it's a job where you make money building trails. She signed up and left our city to pursue her dreams.

After several weeks she called and said that several people who were on her crew couldn't handle the extreme environment and left. She joked about me coming out there. I immediately signed up, quit my job, found another roommate for my apartment and headed out for adventure of a lifetime.

We backpacked for days on end, waking up early and working harder than I ever have before building trails in the wilderness. The group was awesome and we had tremendous fun. When we were done I had no job and no place to live and no money but things worked out.

I ended up having a little debt in the end, but I worked it off and it was well worth it. It was only a short-lived, one-time, unmeditated chasing-of-a-dream but it taught me a lot.

I'm older now so chasing my dreams looks a little different. It's all about hard work and sacrifice and setting yourself up to be able to do what you want by saving money.

Best of luck OP!

8. Yes, in 2008 I threw my entire financial career away (over a decade). And my then six figure salary (made 155k my last yr in).

Took the money I had saved up over the years, and started two businesses. One small skateboard shop, and a consulting business in skateboarding.

I won't lie, it really helped that my wife made a good money as well (she's in pharma). So I knew I had a bit of a safety net. But any time you reduce your income by 50% you take a big risk. It's not like our bills reduced by 50%, heh.

4 years later, all is well. Still not making as much money as I did, but we're comfortable. And I feel pretty fulfilled that I got to exercise my plans (that I'd had since I was a teen) and live the life I wanted to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I feel like I'm just chasing a vision of the future rather than embracing my present

10. OP, whatever happened to your rally car build thread?

11. I also want to race vehicles for a living, however I don't have the money to do so.

12. Haha the old subaru, cant believe you remember that. Another project started and never finished. I ended up just racing my lancer. :devious:

13. I did..I gave away my guinea pigs of 3yrs I sold my xbox an games I gave away some of my clothes I sold my cellphone gave away shoes...an then I flew out to california to be with the guy I love but when I got there he broke my heart an left me stranded with barely no money after I'd given up all of that for him an even got into fights with my fam over him..following my dream didn't do me shit only left me with nothing =/

14. Moved to Taiwan when I was 18, then to Thailand for 5 years to train in Muay Thai and other martial arts..got some ideas, went back to Canada and now I'm onto the US, London and Costa Rica. So I guess I've "tossed everything away" three times now and it's only getting more interesting and fun.

15. I once had a dream I was in a grocery store and I was looking for Tostitos tortilla chips, more specifically the scoops kind. I went all around and store but could not find it, I even asked the lady working there and she said the store sold them but she had no idea where they were at. She called the manager and he said they were in the aisle titled "chips" and even walked me there, but they were not there. There was just normal tostitos. We then concluded that the tostitos had mysteriously vanished when another employee came out and admitted to stealing them and taking them home. He also admitted to stealing some salsa. He was then fired and the manager apologized and gave me a coupon for something I cannot recall.

Needless to say, I never got my chips. And when I woke up, the brand new bag of tostitos scoops I had bought the prior night was gone. Coincidence? :confused:

16. I'm selling my business and traveling america in an rv come July.

So to answer question- yes.

17. [quote name='"zidane10df"']I feel like I'm just chasing a vision of the future rather than embracing my present[/quote]

Without first considering your future, there's usually less to embrace once you're there.

18. #18 trix rabbit, May 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2012
    yeah man. i tossed those fucking kids into a coffin and ate my god damn trix.

19. [quote name='"trix rabbit"']yeah man. i tossed those fucking kids into a coffin and ate my god damn trix.[/quote]

Oh my fucking god thats funny...

20. winning the fucking lottery. it's like chasing the dragon..