Anyone ever seen poison dart frogs?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by thelizardkin, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Awesome frogs I'm glad to see I inspired someone else to buy some Just a warning though mixing species is kind of a no no for a few reasons there is some aggression and they can also hybridize which is bad because they're very endangerd in the wild but breed pretty well in captivity and if they cross breed it can fuck up entire species and I'm not sure what their vivarium is like if you can post a pic that would be great and if it won't work I'd get 2 10 gallon tanks they're $15 each with lids gravel or Leica for a drainage layer fiberglass screen over the gravel and coco coir or peat moss above that and than finish it off with some leaf litter and pothos vine as for food they eat fruit flys which you should buy ASAP as well as a culture kit with everything you need to culture them if you have any questions feel free to ask and also check out dendroboard

2. Wow.

Since there is little evidence that shows excessive cannabis use can affect your vision, you should probably cut back on the masturbating. :D

3. #23 Ayron, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
    I've read keeping 2 species together can be a bad thing but the breeder said these 2 species are fine together and I've confirmed that with 2 other breeders online. The azureus females are supposed to be aggressive towards other females of the same kind when they get older but having it with other species is ok to my understanding. I got a fruit fly culture that should last me a month or 2 also but I plan on getting two separate vivariums and more of each of the same frogs to keep them apart till i know more about what i'm doing. The one i got now has a few live plants in it a well as moss on top of those hydroton things with a little bit of water on the bottom and the breeder said they will be fine in there for another couple of months. They seem to be interacting with each other well so far and they sleep under the same leaf its kinda cute. I figure they would be on opposite sides of the vivarium if they didn't like eachother. I only started learning about frogs today though, I never thought they would be so interesting!

4. They should be fine together now but they'll need their own tanks as they grow they get more aggressive with age and you'll need more fruitfly cultures it's good to have 2 and make new ones every 3 weeks I'd get what you need to make more cultures from these guys - 3.5 Lb. Excelsior #

5. Can u guys get painted reed frogs where you are from?

I know the reptile/amphibian trade is huge, hence the question. There are 9 species of them in SA (sadly none where I live).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Yes at least you used to I used to see them all the time they're cool frogs

7. When I get more room to set up tanks and learn more I really want to get one of those Vietnamese moss frogs. the vendor that sold me my dart frogs had one of them but I was on a tight budget and already bought enough things i dont know enough about lol
    [​IMG]

8. That is insanely unique :)
    Looks like a little living gargoyle.

9. They've very cool I'd love a pair too if you haven't seen them before check out red eyed tree frogs https://www.google.com/search?q=red...gKdjoDYBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=416#i=0

10. #30 Ayron, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
    those weird me out for some reason lol, I went looking at different vivarium setups and i kinda want to get one of those fog machines when i get a new tank, ever use one? i havent seen one of my frogs really eat anythig since i got it 2 days ago but its much fatter than the other one and its active so i'm not gonna worry about it yet

11. Where do I get them? I used to have tree frogs, but those fuckers kept me up at night.

I'm absolutely in love right now.

If someone could maybe tell me the direction I need to go, I'd be forever grateful.

12. #32 BeatsandGrass, Feb 27, 2013
    I love my little guy. :D He's a Barking Tree Frog. I've had him now for about a year an a half or so, and he's just the coolest little pet. Whenever people come in and my dog starts barking, they always think I have another one upstairs because of Fred.:laughing: He barks so loud.
    Screenshot_2013-02-27-00-41-34.png

Edit: Guess the screen shot of that pic caught me adjusting my phone volume :p

13. I got them at "repticon" which was a exotic reptile show that was going on in my town. the breeder i got mine is based out of miami, florida which is about an hour and a half south of me. you can get them online but prices are way more expensive and shipping is just as much as the frogs :eek:

14. "Oh that's just Fred" hahaha :hello:

15. As ayron said reptile expos are the best place to buy frogs but they're seasonal and in some places never happen you can also try dendroboard.com it's a fourm dedicated to dart frogs there you may be able to find local hobbyists who would be more than happy to sell/trade frogs and supply's this is a really good thing to do if you're going to keep frogs and your third option is online dendroboard has a list of sponsors that sell frogs and whom should be reliable Dendroboard.com - Sponsors

16. They're cool I remember catching some as a kid in Wisconsin

17. #37 JuicyGoose, Feb 27, 2013
    I had three Treefrogs. I'm not sure what kind, but everytime I turned off my lights they'd peep so loud.

I thought maybe spring peepers... but they look too small.

The mother fuckers earned their stay in my downstairs bathroom after that loud peeping.

18. Some dartfrogs have very loud calls but unlike most frogs they are diurnal so they call during the day and they're also active during the day

19. godzirrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

20. so do you clean the poop out of their cages? :confused: i know its probably a dumb question but i'm a newb to this :eek: