Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone else think modern weed is overrated?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Friends>HIMYM, Oct 2, 2017.

1. #1 Friends>HIMYM, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Everyone's seen those pictures from the late 70s High Times of the top 40 buds. And everyone hates on it saying it's the worst weed in the world, all they had back then was schwag, everything today is better, etc.

But what a lot of people don't realize is that those are pictures of cannabis that came from all around the world where people have been cultivating it for thousands of years for both medicinal and Recreational purposes. So while today's indoor hybrids going around are "potent", I don't think they hold a candle to the pure genetics of the weed from the Acapulco mountains, Columbia, Vietnam, Thailand, India, etc.

If given the choice to smoke some of California's finest frutti tutti fruit loop Kush or some pure organic Indian Chara or bud from Acapulco or any of the other countries mentioned I would take the latter in a heartbeat.

Another thing people don't understand is that there are 400 plus compounds in any given cannabis plant, many of them psychoactive. THC and CBD barely scratch the surface of the high you get from bud.

I will not deny however, the fact that you can get plenty of good deals on "potent" weed today phenomenally easier then in the 70s when people risked their lives for the best of the best.

But I think the high is all one-dimensional. It's all THC and nothing else. Those purebred exotic buds provide the most balanced high you can find on planet Earth.

I used to believe that today's weed was better in all aspects just like the majority of people today until I read all 27 pages of this thread.
    Old school strains - Where are you??? Acapulco Gold, Pananma Red, Columbian...
    And had my mind blown away.

But I want to hear from everyone else. Especially those who were around in the 60s and 70s when exotic weed was still possible to find America.

This thread is an "original purebred exotic weed vs today's hybridized weed" thread. Which one is better and why?

Disclaimer: I'm a 21 year old who's only been smoking since 2015. The only weed I've ever smoked is is mid (Alabama commercial grade) and loud as they call it these days. I wasn't around in the 60s and 70s and while I know an awful lot about weed history, genetics, effects etc I have never been to a dispensary. Lots of knowledge, not much experience.

Edit: what I'm trying to say is that I think landrace strains grown in countries where people have been growing it for thousands of years is better than U.S. indoor weed. Like you can still go to India and find it growing everywhere by people who know exactly what they're doing. This is actually a landrace vs hydro thread. I only mention 70s because that seems to be the last time people could buy landrace in the U.S.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Random story, a little while ago during the ebola craze I got a hold of some supposed malawi gold that didn't look good at all but got you blazed and I was calling it Africa weed. My friend started tripping out convinced I just gave him ebola by sharing my africa weed with him, I'll never forget that lol.

I feel like people these days just consider every little aspect of a bud to then put their personal rating on it. It's gotta look good, smell good, taste good and feel good to get a good rating. We've turned into weed snobs :love-mj2:

• Like Like x 2
  3. The bulk of it is from what i have had and seen, BUT there is some that is strait FIRE. I am DEFF a weed snob if you will lol. Most dealers hate me because 9 times outta 10 i walk away. I do tell everyone i meet that i have EXTREMELY high standards when it come to bud to try and warn them. Since concentrates came out and luckily for me i have a line on stupid good shit, i have walked away more often than not from most bud.........the ball is always in my court as i do not HAVE TO HAVE wanna be flower

• Like Like x 1
  4. The KEY to getting good flower anymore imo is to know growers that only grow in smaller batches for them and a small circle of friends. Its rare anymore for a commercial dealer to have CONNOISSEUR grade flower......almost like finding a unicorn lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. So you being 21 your whole thread is kinda pointless, you say that the weed back then is better and you have never smoked it, you say “commercial” weed isn’t better but you have never smoked it. I can speak for the dispensary part. And it is in fact worlds better than most things you would get on the street and if it is as good then it probably came from a dispensary any way. Can anyone that actually tried weed back in the 70’s on up shine a light on this ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. #6 NC Connoisseur, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    I did not start smoking until the early 90`s , but my father smoked all thru out the 70`s. What i have showed him blew his mind.......he did not believe it was weed lol. However i can not remember which issue of high times it was, but a while back they went to a guys house who had the biggest collection of DANK i have ever seen and i think most of it was from the 70`s. I remember reading that article like it was yesterday.......they said he blind folded them until they where in the basement. Said the weed was OUT OF THIS WORLD

7. Holy crap... that sounds awesome! :roflmao:

I totally agree. Looks are everything today. Aesthetics is all people use to evaluate weed. Don't judge a book by it's cover is completely out the window. I guarantee any of the top 40 strains from the 70s would have blown anyone's mind away today.:yummy:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hey there's nothing wrong with that man and more power to you:thumbsup:
    In fact I wish I had the willpower to walk away and more because I've been ripped off a few times:( but you live some, you learn some.
    I'm not too picky as I have a low tolerance and just like to have fun with it :D I just do wonder what an exotic high is like.

9. Yeah bud today looks like it came from another planet :eek: mostly because it's all grown indoors with extreme care. I wonder if he would like it if he smoked any.

10. He does but it puts him to sleep lol

11. I guess I should rephrase that. I've smoked what most people called mid, i've smoked schwag, i've smoked loud, i've smoked stuff that was directly from a dispensary ( I think it was Alien OG if I remember right), and I've dabbed some blue diesel from California that had a potency analysis and everything (90% thc). I've also taken edibles.
    So I've sampled most of what you can find today. I'm just curious what it was like back then or what it still is like in those countries where the Exotic weed comes from.
    Take a gander at that thread that I copied the link for. It's chock-full of posts from people who were around back then and tried all kinds of weed. Very good read :thumbsup:

12. Hahaha that's hysterical
    I'm not going to lie, as much as I love 60s and 70s culture and wonder what their weed was like, I'm so grateful to live in 2017 with 30 medical States and eight recreational:love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Very true. Too many dealers are just trying to make money and don't care about the customer:mad:
    And yes finding a good grower with a small batch is like finding a unicorn hahaha

14. Does anyone really
    Care about the customer at the end of the day ? No
    Because we live in a corporate world my friend. Yea they might fix
    Or listen to your concerns and do something about it. Not because they care about you, but rather their bottom line. This is the norm. Of course there is exceptions but it all starts with one . Idk I’m high

• Like Like x 1
  15. I agree completely. It's sad but true. :frown:
    There's just too much corruption and it's hard to filter bullshit for the truth.

16. Anything can be overrated when you have too much nostalgia.

• Like Like x 2
  17. I smoked lotsa connoisseur, world class weed in the '70's. My bro in law was a member of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love and always brought home the worlds best from his "excursions", so I can give some insight or opinions into today's mega-strains vs old school landrace varieties.
    The OP is correct in many points he made. Those "location" varieties were so different and wonderful.
    The differences between Thai & Columbian Gold, Oaxacan & Panama Red were literally and figuratively worlds apart in looks, smell, taste and effects.
    They would get you just as high as you wanted to get, even though the THC content may not have been as high as today's insanely high level indica/sativa hybrids. Maybe you just had to toke a bit more. Of course, there was the commercial Mexican you could get for $10 an oz too.
    While I do appreciate all that modern botany and breeding have brought to the table with the hundreds of beautiful cannabis choices we now enjoy, I have and always will have a spot in my heart for those old school strains.
    All the stuff I grow to this day are of the "location" variety. While many are not the true and unadulterated landrace species, the seeds I seek out are old school names. Maybe I'm just an old dude, but the '70's stuff is classic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Fire kills Ebola.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. I started smoking in the mid 80’s, and remember the weed being about 2/3 as powerful as it is today.

There was no mention of strains in those days. We had ‘green’ pot and ‘brown’ pot. The green was locally grown, and kicked ass over the brown, which was smuggled out of Mexico. I suppose I was too low on the totem pole to get the real good stuff.

All I can attest to is the common man’s weed. It’s better now. (I live in Oregon, where the dank is flooding the dispensaries these days.). :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. That's true, but I read that being on another planet from an exotic strain wasn't just nostalgia. Even people who've been smoking since then say the exotic strains are still better. Nostalgia does play a big role, though. Swings were amazing as a kid, now they're ok.