Anyone else see some strange happenings in the sky last night?

Discussion in 'General' started by NFloyd2357, Jul 21, 2012.

1. well, technically this morning. probably around 1:30 am (on the east coast, usa) - i definitely saw a meteor shower/tons of shooting stars, and this came after i saw a huge flash. My best guess, is this was a supernova, but i have no idea. I saw a massive flash out of the corner of my eye from a dark baseball field - i would have thought it to be a car or cops, but it was not only to my right, but up high. so i looked to the sky, and saw a thin bright horizontal line, and encasing it was a (not as) bright ellipse radiating outwards from the thin bright line. my friend, whos back was facing it, finally looked to the sky and saw just the thin line, as it faded pretty quick - was probably gone in 10-15 seconds. even he was amazed, and what he saw was only about 5% of what i saw, and even what i saw was the aftermath from the exploding light i saw out of my peripheral. It was mind blowing. It made it even crazier that it was immediately followed by at least 4 shooting stars that we saw, close in proximity

2. do you even have a clue what a super nova is?

meteors from a super nova would not reach us moments after you saw the 'flash'...

ya...the public education systems have dropped teaching real science...

3. i know exactly what a supernova is. Do you know how big the universe is? I never said the 2 were related, i just said i saw both. seeing as there are constant meteors passing us, and the fact that there's a supernova more than once per second in the universe, it isn't unlikely for both to happen within viewable range from earth. jesus man you aren't above everyone read the whole post first. i said i saw strange happenings (plural) in the sky, and said my best educated guess of what they were - which is very probable. i was just looking to see if anyone else saw any of this because i didnt hear anything about it and its bothering me. it was witnessed by 2 people, and definitely happened. it was strannnnnngeeee

4. I do not believe you... I do not disbelieve you...
    and in this there are endless possibilities :smoking:

5. Yeah I saw a flash, I thought it was lighting but there was no rain or thunder afterwards... Didn't see any shooting stars or anything though, but then again I wasn't really looking for them.

6. yes! good post, lol. I dont ask anyone to believe me, but i would like to at least go over some of the possibilities. whatever it was definitely happened. i'm not gonna be like everyone else and shout "UFO!!!" or anything crazy, but what i explained is exactly what we saw, and we aren't really sure what it was. my best guess is as stated, 2 separate incidents: meteors and supernova. The meteors/shooting stars weren't anything special, just that (which is still awesome, but pales in comparison to what happened seconds before - which was the MASSIVE flash)

YES! same state as me (im guessing, from your username), so thats awesome. i had a few people on facebook confirm what i saw as well. and yes, the sky was crystal clear, no rain (though it did rain earlier all day before clearing up)

7. I saw there were supposed to be massive solar flares...showed the pics on the news ...the lights were red

8. #8 NFloyd2357, Jul 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2012
    hmm... definitely a possibility. What i saw was a predominantly yellow/orange glow, but i also saw it 1-2 seconds after it happened and was already fading into the night sky.

another big question thats been bothering me is, were the 2 events separate/coincidental, or did they indeed have anything to do with eachother? anyone know more about astronomy and what it may have been? i need to look up some pictures of solar flares from earth

[edit]
    found this on Nasa's site. could have been CME from solar flare??

"Update:
    A coronal mass ejection (CME) was also associated with the July 19, 2012 flare. A CME is another solar phenomenon that can send solar particles into space and can reach Earth one to three days later, affecting electronic systems in satellites and on the ground. Initial NASA research models show that this CME is not headed toward Earth, but could impact STEREO-A."

says it wasn't gonna impact earth - maybe these are what i thought to be a meteor shower? ugh idno lol

9. you inferred the events were related....:rolleyes:
    sorry you feel inferior.:rolleyes:

lets see....it's JULY....what happens in JULY every year in the USA that would explain a long thin glowing line in the sky and a big flash of light...maybe even some 'streaming' things falling from the sky from the same space in the sky...hmmm...

[​IMG]

..let us all know what you discover...:wave:

10. ya know, they just don't teach history in the education system anymore :rolleyes: (sorry, had to put a douchebag comment in after yours)

Those there fireworks you speak of... i'm pretty sure that's to celebrate something they call the 4th of july.

anyways, lets assume, for a second, that i'm not a complete moron and know the difference between a firework in our own atmosphere, and something thousands of miles into the night sky. thats about as far as i can go, because i dont know what it was. but i know what it wasn't, and it wasn't anything of this earth. lets also assume i'm over 4 years old and know what a fucken shooting star is... because i do, and so does my friend - and we saw 4 of them, spread out way too far a distance from the flash to be fireworks (lmao) - they were close in relativity considering it was the sky, but... i dont know why im explaining myself.

11. If there were a supernova visible to us it would be on the news or something..

I haven't seen anything, but I've been hearing a lot of sounds in the sky. HAARP is making my lawn muddy as shit.

12. i believe you lol i was watching (bunk i think it was) late at night and i swear i saw a bright light outside my window through the corner of my eye but i just dismissed it as i have had things like that happen before. im pretty upset i didnt check it out as for what it was i have no clue but now im definitely interested in finding some news about it. telescopes had to have captured it or saw it or the scientists or something right

not bright like my entire window was lit up but like a flash like the guy said or gal

13. it wasnt a supernova..if it was close enough to see a flash, first of all it would light up the planet for hours or days or weeks, and secondly it would be all over the news.

14. youre being ridiculously dickish. that high rep bar and gold name must really make you feel good. he never said anything that you're talking about. smoke a blunt and chill out, jesus christ.

15. It's a meteor

A fireball is an unusually large and bright meteor. To be considered a fireball, the meteor must be at least as bright as Venus. This exceptional brightness is usually a result of a large meteoroid - possibly a few meters in diameter upon entering Earth's atmosphere. When fireballs occur over populated areas the can generate a large amount of attention.

Some fireballs produce an audible noise, some shed smaller meteors, some are accompanied by sonic booms and some leave a trail that remains visible for several minutes after passing. The large size of fireball meteoroids give them a much higher chance of surviving their fall through the atmosphere and striking Earth's surface.

-geology.com

16. Ahh, don't worry about that person.

some people are just full of themselves that they don't even see it, very sad. :(

17. I heard something .. But that might just be a coincidence .

18. NASA spent seven years researching how to make a Flatulence proof space suit.

19. A super nova would last for days, if not months. Plus it would take years upon years for light from one to hit us, trust me if a supernove happend you'd know about it. Last one in human history stayed in the sky for months. You probably saw a meteor shower.