Anyone else miss neg rep?

Discussion in 'General' started by ManyBlunts, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been noticing a great deal of negative posts here on the city and I feel that it is partly due to nobody getting negative reputation points. There are some things infractions are for and they fall under the rules off grasscity. However the negativity I'm talking about I would not consider "against the rules," however it is a real downer to the city. People who incite pointless arguments that are unrelated to the thread are a perfect examples of why I think neg rep is necessary. If I was being a constant downer to the city and starting noticing my reputation going down, I would change my attitude before I get the dreaded red bar. There must have been a reason that it is no longer a feature, but I feel like to gave the city a balance that is now gone.

Maybe this should be in forum feedback? I thought general would fit better because I'm looking more for a discussion than I am offering a suggestion.

2. Yeah but with all the debating going on people would just negative Rep every time they disagree with someone

3. I found more people abused the hell out of it when it was available. I feel it's better that it's gone, personally I thought it threw the balance off. What good will neg repping someone back? Why not pass something positive forward rather than helping the bad spread like wildfire.

I feel that if I truly have an issue with a certain thread/post, I choose not to participate or even continue reading it.

4. Well, it would work in the same way where you need rep to give/take rep. I see your point, though. Maybe it could work so only the members with full reputation bars are trusted with it.

5. These forums are far too large these days for everyone (or even just the full rep members) to be trusted with -rep abilities. The abuse was far too rampant and the admins have more important things to deal with than constant PMs about rep abuse. :p

If someones breaking the rules, report it. If they're not breaking the rules but you don't like their attitude, put them on your ignore list.

Using -rep as an attitude adjuster never really worked that well anyway. Most of the effect was on newbies who got -repped for a stupid reason and were then treated like shit by everybody until they got back up to green. Not worth it, IMO.

6. the people who gave neg rep a bad name are prob the same people that give weed a bad name, gotta ruin the shit for the rest of us.

7. [​IMG]

u want neg rep? :confused: lol

8. no one should have neg rep powers. it is stupid really and i have seen it abused repeatedly when it is allowed at places...any and i mean ANY debate about politics and religion and people who disagree neg rep no matter how long they ahve been at a site...hell, sometimes the old timers are the worst, because they feel they have certain rights by senority and their views should not be questioned.

in the end it only turns into which has the most popular person that can get his or her friends to neg rep another person...you know, like the ones who have been here the longest and are in 'the good ole boys and girls club.'

if someone does not like what another writes, then do not read their fucking posts...it is that simple.

perhaps having such a device makes some feel more secure when they discuss, if they can press it when they do not like what others say, but giving the weak such a cruch is probably not good for them...and would only help the heathen trolls feel more empowered.

9. Yup, there is only heathen trolls, no theistic ones. :rolleyes:

10. #10 fieryflora, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2012
    thanks for your support! but the camp is really irrelevant, it would happen either way and it is not condusive to a well structured, civil discussion site, imo.

11. they should bin off +rep and likes as well and be done, its not fucking facebook!..

12. I think there should only be plus rep, but the neg rep is like looking at the glass half empty, its a negative way to look at the post instead of laughing and thinking hey this dudes a dumbass

13. this. rep in general is kinda stupid and pointless but i still give rep. more for a quick private message than saying hey you deserve my respect or whatever im trying to say:confused:

14. Last I checked people didn't want "likes" for being similar to facebook. Rep isn't comparable to facebook haha. I mean you can't even see how big someones e-peen is on facebook!

Either way it's nice to see someone showing their respect for a post you made, more often than not they won't even say anything in the thread about it so they opt to press that little button.

15. concentrate all power. fascism is inevitable when democracies fail... as is the case here.

solves many problems. so what if many people are unhappy, at least a few know everything's peachy.

gotta find balance sometimes... plus, weed's still allowed to be talked about here so it's not total lockdown.

16. I seen them red reps about. As for missing it, I'm sure all of the five people who could neg rep someone miss it dearly. :eek:

17. take away the power from all to give to the few who can be trusted.

18. Only time I got neg repped, I deserved it.

However, I can't say I really care whether we have it or not, I never used it even when I had the chance (at least that I can remember...)

19. I don't think anyone really cares dude. If people are doing shit to get neg repped then I think they just need to get infractions and then banned if it happens again. I got neg repped over something stupid and I messaged the highly reputable blade to dispute it, not because I cared about the rep but because I cared about the impression I made. It was just a misunderstanding and I've received positive rep from the same dude. That situation makes me think neg rep is pointless. You could neg rep anything you didn't like or agree with and that's stupid.
    As for your quote up above. If that's what you think, then leave it to those few. It wouldn't be of our concern anyways. Unless you're trying to deputize yourself that is :D

20. I don't there was a lot of neg rep abuse. I had a member neg rep me for suggesting the mflb. I think shes banned now though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.