Anyone else in USA hope to move to a warmer climate?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by PA2Elsewhere, Jan 23, 2014.

1. I wish I could use the multiquote.  Oh well.  My issues with Philly are mainly the climate and old type mass transit.  No modern local rail and as a future wheelchair user, I don't think SEPTA is disability friendly enough.  I'm a very cold sensitive person but the stifling summers don't thrill me either.  

2. Yes I know the the area very well. I live very close what would you like to know?

3. I lived in PA and the weather was OK, never bothered me. Right now in St. Petersburg it is 12 degrees F. I have traveled to places that were consistantly -55 F all day long and thats without a wind chill factor.

4. How is the weather in the Carolinas? Those 2 states interest me and then Oregon and Washington also seem like good places to live in with good climates.

5. North myrtle is a lot better. Wilmington is awesome, also the outer banks are my favorite, very quiet and relaxed.

6. Mountains of north carolina are very cold/windy in winter, but perfect in summer usually like 70 degrees out. Middle of the state doesnt get that cold in the winter but becomes very hot and very very very humid in summer. Coast is the same as the middle but less humidity. South carolina is usually a little hotter than NC most of the time.

7. I'm in Wisconsin (for home) and Iowa (in college) and I can't wait to get the fuck out. I've lived my whole life in the cold and I need some warmth in my bones. Florida here I come!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. Stay away from Texas specially houston, way too many conservatives...it's to a point where it gets annoying.Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. [quote name="PA2Elsewhere" post="19387899" timestamp="1390432109"]I've been trapped in PAINsylvania for many years. I have to sell my house before I can leave. Planning to spend about a year in Myrtle Beach area, then either to Florida or out West. Anyone else unhappy in cold winters? I especially would like to connect with people who live in low crime areas who use good local rail transportation in areas with warmer winters.[/quote] I'm from PA & I just moved from Myrtle Beach if your looking to get away from the cold completely then Myrtle Beach wouldn't be the way to go it gets chilly there. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. And miss this below zero temps with snow up my ass. No way.Sent from my N860 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #51 kush70, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014
    the more i hate the cold weather the more i am thankful im not in Yakutsk

right now it's -49 F real temp not windchill

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Yakutsk+RSXX0122:1:RS

LOLLLL hilarious

12. I was looking for planned communities because I need the mass transit, social opportunities and everything else an older, disabled person would need to be happy and healthy.  Irvine came up.  Sounded good.  I read some negative views about it, but they seemed weak:  militant police, unhappy residents and an overly controlled and sterile environment.  The one thing I came across that sounds serious is that the police are all white and show favoritism to white residents while treating minorities unfairly.  Also mixed info about how expensive it is.   I expect to eventually be in a reclining wheelchair (I have both standing and sitting time limits), no family, and of course I know no one there.  I may eventually be all alone so I need the best place.  Thanks for any comments.

13. Curious as to where you were in -55F.  I would die.  

14. I have not lived in the Carolinas.  Spent a few days in Myrtle Beach but it was in the 1960's during Easter vacation.  Weather was beautiful then.  I assume SC climate is similar to GA.  I spent some time during winters in Atlanta in the 1980's and it was really cold, but not normally freezing during the day.  Not nearly warm enough for me. 

15. This is what I've been telling my mom about SC.  She knows I lived in Atlanta and winters were cold there.  I told her my time in SC or NC will probably not be permanent.  We're just going there because a family member has friends in Myrtle Beach and it's scary for us to get our Lewis and Clark on because we're older, plus we're not experienced travelers/vacationers.  So we're planning to stay there at least a year (renting) and then hopefully to FL or CA, so mom can still have the beach and we can both have the warmer winters. 

17. Somehow my cursor stayed in famous' window so I'm not sure it will be noticed.  I always feel excited when I hear someone is moving to a warm climate.

19. Hahahaha!

20. By the way, I'm slow to reply due to extreme eyestrain.  Anyone know about the eyeglasses that are supposed to help with the blue light, backlight or whatever it is?  I'm going to try to pick up a pair.  I'll be seeing the eye doc in March so I should be able to get more help then.  (I avoid any non-urgent appointments here in winter).