Anyone else have an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by megamax42, May 13, 2011.

1. Haha I went to the zoo and smoked like 3 grams while we were there. We spent most of the time in the aquarium section. They had one of those glass tunnels inside a huge aquarium with sharks, sea turtles and lots of other fish. That's just amazing when your mind is ready to appreciate it.

2. i'm so glad this thread got revived. let's see more aquariums people

3. #103 megamax42, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2011
    Very cool, I've been really wanting to go back to the zoo or an aquarium since my love for weed and aquariums has gotten stronger lol.

100mil that tank is beautiful, really like the yellow tang. Great pic of the cow fish too.

Heres some old ones, but I'll take some pictures of my new angelfish when I get back to my apartment.

Attached Files:

4. ^nice i used to have siamese algae eaters and black neon tetras in my tank as well, sadly not anymore though.

the algae eaters are so much fun to watch though, i loved getting blazed and just checking out the algae eaters doing their thing exploring all the plants and rocks and such.

there's this huge fish store near my house and they have a big section full of live plants, and they keep them in these huge tanks about a foot deep, but they are like ten feet long each and they have more than one, and they form a big circle. and they have a bunch of algae eaters in there, and i fucking love watching them swimming along the bottom from one patch of plants to the next.

5. #105 megamax42, Jul 18, 2011
    Agreed :D after I moved apartments I switched the tank to a reinforced desk and now you can really get up close to the tank. And better yet, there's now a ledge for bongs :smoke: Probably one of my favorite things to do after a long day. Had to get the black neon tetras to fulfill my schooling fish needs lol its pretty cool watching them swim synchronized.

Definitely had to have live plants too, I think they make FW tank look so natural

6. yeah the black neons definitely do stick together.. i always honestly thought they were a little boring though, but it may have just been the way my tank was set up. i had black neons and tiger barbs in there, about equal numbers of each, and half the time i would never even see the tetras. in the future, i doubt if i'll ever get tiger barbs again. little bastards..

i never had live plants. the aquarium i have now is my first aquarium, and when i set it up i never planned on using live plants, so the substrate and such isn't really set up for it. not to mention that while i had the tiger barbs, they would have demolished any live plants in there anyway. i kind of want to get live plants in there just because i think it'll look a lot more natural, and i like the all-natural look, and plus i think it just creates a more stable environment. but i'm not sure if i can add live plants in there now.

sadly my tank was stricken with disease and even though i medicated it, all the fish ended up dying except for one :(. my only survivor is my golden gourami, i guess because 1) he's like 5 times the size of anything else i had in there, and 2) he can breathe air if the water conditions are bad.

here's an old pic (from my phone, sorry)
    [​IMG]

7. Yeah I'm definitely getting a little tired of them, they stick together like you said but aren't quite as fluid swimmers as I would like. Its pretty funny to watch them when I turn the light off though cuz they all swim to the corner of the tank with the most ambient light and huddle together. Which when I think about it doesn't sound like a very smart defense mechanism.

What trouble did the tiger barbs get up to? Never had em, And what substrate do you have? I agree with the stable environment, chemically I think the plants do wonders. Although surprisingly they make the tank even more vulnerable for algae because for most healthy plants you need to dose trace elements, and then you have to really make sure the plants have the advantage and suck up all the nutrients before the algae can.

Thats a bummer about the disease, I've never had anything too serious yet (knocks on wood) however my old angelfish died of camallanus worms. I medicated as soon as I found out, however she was so plagued that the dead worms overcame her and got a swim bladder infection :( I love gouramis though, beautiful fish.

Still on the lookout for a reasonably priced Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, my LFS has plenty of cheap ones but they're all babies, and I've read they're very prone to disease when young.
    [​IMG]

8. yeah the tetras were just all around too shy for my preference. but like i said the barbs had a lot to do with it.

about the barbs themselves, they are somewhat aggresive..they won't try to kill everything in the tank or anything, but they like to be the kings. it seemed like wherever the tetras wanted to hang out, the barbs would all swim up and be like, this is our spot. so the tetras never really got comfortable. i also had a clown pleco, he was extremely skiddish and would only come out in near total darkness. he would come out slowly to get his algae tablets, and the barbs liked to try and steal the tabs from him and sometimes even pecked at him a little bit.

they never really attacked any fish..it was just more like they always made the other fish uncomfortable. once i added my gourami, they hassled him a bit and they did take a chunk out of his tail fin at first, but the gourami quickly learned that he was way bigger than they were and he started getting aggresive back to them and they quickly learned their place haha.

that sucks about the angelfish. those are very cool fish, my LFS has bunches of them but i heard that they like to sneak up on smaller fish so i never got one.

jack dempseys are very cool.. that same LFS has an entire wall filled with cichlids, they're always the coolest the look at.

9. #109 megamax42, Jul 18, 2011
    Agreed! I've always wanted a tank full of them, especially the African cichlids, so colorful. Although I don't think I'd want to mess with keeping a higher pH because my tap water is naturally perfect for Angels (besides of course the chlorine and chloramines).

Speaking of which, out of curiosity, what do you blades use for water changes?
    I'm too broke for any fancy RO purifier and I don't really feel like buying 10 gallons of distilled once a week. So I usually just grab a 5 gallon bucket, fill it up in the morning, then do the water change in the evening with a way smaller than recommended dose of dechlorinator just to make sure.

Ah I see, the tiger barbs sound like very dominant fish. Thats a shame too cuz they look so cool over a background of plants in the store I usually go to. Do you have any plans for your next fish stocking?

For a while I tried to keep a South American biotope, from the Amazon River Basin specifically, however I got too lazy to keep track of the plant's origins and gave in. Plus when your in the LFS it's so hard to resist getting something you've had your eye on lol. I've also always wanted some Discus, but compared to angelfish they're much more expensive and require more attention to detail, or so I've heard.

I kept a pair of German Blue Rams for a little while, however they succumbed to the camallanus worms as well :(

[​IMG]

10. well for water changes i just use a small bucket and fill it with water from the faucet in the bathtub. throw some decholorinator in there and put it in, haven't had any problems with it yet. i dont see the need for anything more complex unless i was keeping fish with very specific water requirements.

i like biotopes, but i didn't have enough experience in fishkeeping when i set up my tank to make a true natural environment. this is most likely the most beautiful fishtank i've ever seen: Fish Tank of January '06 at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish. in a perfect world i would have something like that, but i'm no pro. and i definitely agree, when you're in the store it's like every fish in there is cooler than the last one.

i'm not really sure about what i'm going to do next. definitely going to get another siamese algae eater, my old one was the bomb and i had no complaints about him. I also want to get a bamboo shrimp. i got one before, and i had the tank all set up for him, i got a new plant just for him that was over a foot tall just so he could sit by the filter output. but he never got comfortable in the tank and i never saw him feeding, and he didn't last more than a week. poor guy :(. i've also always had an interest in getting a clown loach, just never had the room before. other than that i don't really know what else to put in there.

that ram is very cool. my LFS has a fish like that, not sure if it's the exact same one, but they are very cool. i actually contemplated buying one a few times.

11. We used to have a few Jack Dempseys. I wish I still had fish. :(

12. [​IMG]
    They grow up so fast <3 :)

Gotta clean my tank tomorrow and move some stuff around. See if i can take some better pics.

13. thats fly

14. my two other pirhana ganged up on my little guy and killed him :( R.I.P little guy

[​IMG]

His little chompers
    [​IMG]

15. r.i.p :(

he would've been a beast

16. I'm working on a pond in my backyard and I'm going to try making it tropical with cichleds rays a arowana

17. My setup:
    10 gallon
    Top fin power filter 10
    2 live plants
    2 hides
    4 zebra danio
    3 albino Cory catfish

18. arowanas are reeeeally cool. my LFS has one in this huge tank with a bunch of slate rocks in the back and he likes to 'walk' up and down the rocks a lot. he's like 4 feet long.

19. How big is the tank?

20. not sure but it's like 6 feet long and probably like 4 feet tall, and like 3 feet deep. so, it's pretty big.

also my bad but its actually not an arowana, it's an african lungfish.