Anyone else have an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by megamax42, May 13, 2011.

1. Goldfish prefer cold water and can survive ponds that freeze over as long as the bottom isn't solid ice.
    There aren't too many cichlids other than bass and some perch that will tolerate really cold water.
    I live in cali so it's not terribly cold here, I thought about building a brick pond with some local bass and trout. Even rainbow trout.

Goldfish can reach 15" but will take many many years maybe decade to reach that size. I've personally seen a goldfish larger than a NFL standard football. Thing had scales the size of nickels.

2. I did a quick search on Coldwater fish and it doesn't show too many large bodied fish available in the aquarium trade, mostly smaller fish like carp guppy and goby species.
    Large fish can be usually found at fishing farms near fishing lakes where they supplant with from raised trout bass or carp.

I'll do more reading tonight after work, I'm starting to get the itch.

3. Can anyone recommend a cool looking pet I can have in a smaller aquarium 20gal or so that is relatively low cost and easy to maintain? I like the look of a lot of shrimp and snails. Preferably something that can live with live plants as I want a vivarium looking setup. Apparently dart frogs are easy to keep and don't need much space? I'd rather a freshwater setup as well

4. #3024 yurigadaisukida, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
    your best choice is a beta.

You could also do like 3-4 neon tetras

Or maybe 1-2 male guppies

Don't try to overstock a 20 gallon for sure.

If you want to do terrestrial plants you could do a frog or maybe corn snake.

-yuri

5. Thanks for the recommendations I'll look into them, what are your thoughts on a fire bellied newt? Just saw one online they look pretty cool

6. Idk much about reptiles.

My advice: look up their recommended adult tank size, and assume they need bigger to be "happy"

It said fire belly newts get about 4-5 inches tops. Find a toy or something thats 5 inches long, put it in the aquarium, then ask, would this be bigger enough for me?

-yuri

7. 120 gallon planted, mostly anubias nanos, some sword and grass, much more plants in the mail.
    [​IMG]
    inhabitants will be: bichir (senegalus), geophagus (2 species), and roselines sharks. Also some random dithers.
    [​IMG]
    Not my fish, but this is a typical senegalus bichir, maturing to about 14 to 24" in length and living quite a long lifespan.
    Mine are about 3 inches.
    [​IMG]

8. nice dude, whats your lighting level on that tank? low/med/high? You should get some Cryptocorynes, I was obsessed with those plants for the longest time lol theres so many and they're very easy to grow

9. I have a 500 watt metal halide, but ordered an ecoxotic e series full spectrum.

I'd say it's high light so far, might need to supplement co2...

I have a bunch of crypts in the mail :D

10. New LEDs came, so badass! Loving the sunset when it turns off.

11. which one did you get?

12. Ecoxotic e series full spectrum.

So it runs on a program, you set an ON and OFF time, so when it wakes up, it starts with a yellow dim glow to simulate a sunrise, peaks for 8 hours, and then slowly dims red to simulate sunset.

After about a hour, moon light turns on.

All the colors and intensity can be modified to your liking.

My good buddy came over with a clone..
    [​IMG]

13. Here's new LED light with IR remote.
    [​IMG]

14. I need to get some pics, but I feel as if I'm never done with the scaping..

Have a 135 community Tanganyika tank with calvus' (yellow), kilesa's, cyps (speckleback mobas), some killifish (lamprichthys tanganicus), and syno cat fish (croc Island)

90g Tropheus duboisi and Eret gobies 

65g Tropheus red rainbow.

I want more tanks but I live in a smallish condo with roommates.  Think I'm done for now.

15. I used to have a big ass Bichir in a tank with two Oscars and a Pleco. Awesome fish. 

16. #3036 sleepingblade, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
    They definetly remind me of puppies chewing on a bone.

My bichir sits there with a giant pellet in its mouth happily chewing away until it is small enough to ingest.
    I think it's cute haha

thats awesome man, my good friend just recently got into fishkeeping and hes hooked. hes got a 55g Tang tank with Calvus, Comps, Frontosa, Julies, ophthalmotilapia etc. and a 55g Tropheus tank, hes got a tanganyikan clown in there too and that thing is a trip!

18. I got 5 geophagus at the moment, I like SA cichlids :)

[​IMG]

Picking up 5 of the red faced geophagus tomorrow evening
    [​IMG]

I'd LOVE to find some buffalo head cichlids, but they're so rare

19. Haha, on impulse I ordered a gla co2 system. I want to see plants GROW!

Also for shits ad giggles, i requested a clone (LA conf) and going to try Aquaponics (roots submerged in oxygen/nutrient rich water). I just need to figure out how to keep it horizontal since the canopy is about 12 inch height inside.
    [​IMG]

20. you should really have sand for the geophagus, they love sifting through it and they cant really do it as well with gravel. especially when they're small ;)