Anyone else have an aquarium?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by megamax42, May 13, 2011.

1. 40 gallon aquaponic guppy tank i just settup. Tank divider to seperate nales and females.

I gathered all the plants from all my tanks. Potted them. And put them here to grow. Once they grow ill divide them out into my other tanks again.

1398621091745.jpg 1398621103433.jpg 1398621115339.jpg

A little history and info about this tank.
    Origionally this was a goldfish tank in my backyard. I used it for aquaponics. Grew tomatos pretty succesfully. And even bred the goldfish.

After moving to an appartment and moving my tank inside, aquaponics was no longer an option. The plants just werent getting enough light even from the window and additional lighting.

Goldfish grew huge, caused massive algae growth, and desimated my plants and guppy population.

The goldfish went to my brother in law's oscar.

I love aquaponics and had to find a way. So i made a bubble filter and ran the current through a java moss/gravel filter. So its still technically aquaponics, just with aquatic plants instead of veggies.

I cleaned up the tank. Culled the ugly guppies, and set it up as a selective breeding guppy project.

My next tank i will post is a glofish tank. Ill post when its ready

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2982 Ẅest Čoast, May 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014
    Looks like I'm gonna lose my red tail shark. Had my 40gal running for over 12years now. Had the red tail shark in there for nearly 7 years. Never had a problem with any of the fish. All the fish were healthy as can be prior to the water change I performed this morning.

Here is the deal. I do 50% water changes every 10-12 days. Today went just as usual...except, I forgot to add dechlorinator to tank after doing the water change. About 10 min after the water change I noticed 1 of my silver dollars and the red tail shark breathing rapidly. The red tail shark started to swim up top gulping. It took me 20 min to realize I forgot to add dechlorinator. I added it as soon as I realized my slip up, but it seems like it's too late for the red tail shark. Los Angeles water is treated with chloramine, and it probably burned/irritated the shit out of her gills. I put her in quarantine tank and she looks like she is about to kick the bucket.

One of the silver dollars is still breathing rapidly but at least she is swimming around and not gulping for air at the top. The male silver dollar doesn't seem to be affected.

One fucking mistake in 12 fucking years costing me my favorite fish =T

3. ^Happens to the best of us man, sorry to hear.  :/

4. 20 gal platy tank, like most tanks it's a work in progress

Attached Files:

5. BUMP!!!

my wife bought a couple male Bettas at Walmart...  mostly for my daughters to look at.

i want to "harvest" some mosquito larvae for the fish at my job. just set a cup of water outside over the weekend and then just pour a few into their little tanks... whatcha think. they may enjoy that instead of food flakes. plus i would get to see a live creature eat another live creature! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld7MMZOep5o

6. Are they male betas? If so they will kill eachother

sure are!

they share a tank, but theres a divider that separates them. they flare gills and fan out their fins when i hold a mirror to the tank.

they're just living decor right now. maybe one day i'll get a large tank and breed some. or just invest in Cichlids. Cichlids are more aggressive than Bettas.

8. my wife bought some water lily bulbs for each tank and i started catching mosquito larvae at my work and feeding my betas LIVE food! they get really aggressive with moving food. they dart at them and really work their jaws! never see that with flakes or pellets.

9. its trippy to think about, bit realize a mosquito larvae is like the size of a small dog compared to the beta.

The betas.probly get some.good fun from it

10. Finally feel my glofish tank is presentable.

The camera doesn't even do justice

View attachment 1472375
    1402122182404.jpg
    1402122226279.jpg
    1402122339676.jpg
    Still a work in progress. It will be a planted tank but I am propogating my plants in another tank right now

I plan on having live leafy plants growing off that tree so it looks like a real tree.

Dunno what plant to use yet

11. #2993 yurigadaisukida, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2014
    Odd, main picture didnt show
    1402122502033.jpg

I really wish my.camera was better. It.looks amazing in real.life

Edit ill see if I can post a good one later with a real camera

12. my wife bought a 10 gal freshwater yesterday. and after the water had time to set and filter for a day, she bought 5 ghost shrimp, a fidler crab and a moss ball. still deciding on what fish to get. i want 2 cichlids of any kind.

13. #2995 yurigadaisukida, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2014
    you can't put cichlids in a 10 gallon. Its waaaaaaaaaay to small. Not even just a little small. But waaaaaaay small

I have a single green terror cichlid in a 40 gallon and even that is considered too small

14. my ten gallon has had a Beta and a fiddler crab for around 4 months so far. i put some bamboo in the tank and the crab often climbs the bamboo to get open air. but yesterday the crab molted for the second time(5 weeks between molts) in his little cave but this time, within 5 minutes of him molting, the Beta went into the cave and pulled off the crabs big claw. the crab climbed the bamboo stalks and has been there since. i sprinkled some food onto the bamboo leaves and he cleaned it up. seems fine otherwise. this is the first time the Beta ever messed with the crab.

15. anyone need some plants? I'm taking down two 20gal and have plenty low-med light plants I dont need and dont want to kill. Mostly Cryptocorynes but I also have some Anubias, Hygrophila and some moss. Theres also a little colony of RCS in one of them.

16. I'm guessing you don't live near me

17. seeing as you didnt say where you're at, I have no idea how far you are :p

I was more so just looking for someone to cover shipping, the odds of finding someone on here local to take them is slim.

18. 1416095736787.jpg

My breeding tank

Currently filled with fry (mostly.guppies hopefully some danios)

Infested with snails. Just bought a pair of.clown.loaches. hopefully the loaches will exterminate the snails.

I love the snails but they eat fish eggs so they aren't good to have in a breeding tank.

Once I exterminate the snails I'm going to try breeding danios in there again. Or at the very least reduce the number of snails to the point where most of the eggs will hatch before they get eaten

-yuri