Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone else get "the shivers"?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by stealthslaya77, Jan 7, 2009.

1. I have these things when i smoke usually around my 4th or 5th hit when i feel anything
    its like im shivering and cant stop...
    anyone else get this?
    it has nothing to do with paranoia or anything, and i usually smoke inside so idk what the problem is...
    am i alone on this?

2. well is it cold outside? maybe youre just not dressing warm enough, im usually shivering when i smoke now because its so cold outside

3. i said i usually smoke inside..
    and when i do smoke outside, im wearing sweatshirt and jeans

4. That was happening to me yesterday for about a minute while I was smoking a bowl. It feels kinda funny

5. I know what you're talking about! Sometimes I'll be smoking and wondering why I feel cold and shivery.

I came to the conclusion that weed confuses your brain into thinking things that are not (which is obvious).

6. I also have another theory...
    i have a feeling its that the brain is almost checking up on each muscle to make sure its working or something
    i could be way wrong... but thats what it feels like

7. #7 spazx, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2009
    i remember when i got the shivers now, it was in my friends basement, we bowlpacked and passed it around and i laid on a bed and started shivering a little, i was the only one though, its probably some random harmless thing that happens when youre getting high, that was around a few months after i started smoking
    edit: and on a side note i also got some twitches when im high, like my eyebrow or somehting, thats hard to explain imo

8. smoking restricts blood flow and slows it down. that is why smokers are at higher risk for frost bite. so it would make sense that if you smoke your blood doesnt travel to certain parts of your body as well and will not bring the 98 degree blood through them.

~i suggest taking a shot or two of some alcohol before you toke to thin your blood cells which will provide a stronger blood flow and get the 98 degree blood throughout your body.

9. that time i was in my friends basement i was also drinking about what you said, why was i shivering then? im jw im not trying tog et at you or anything i think your explanation is amazing

10. I got it really bad once, I just smoked a huge bowl by myself and starting really shaking.

My Dad walks in and asks me if I wanted fast food I couldn't even talk, it sounded like I was freezing to death

11. Yeah i have had the shivers like this dude

12. I've had this before, I remember one time I was outside smoking some blunts with some friends on his patio and I was in direct sunlight at like 2:00 in the afternoon, in fucking Miami, and I was shivering, the guy who said the thing about smoking restricting blood flow and thats the reason you might get the shivers seems like he knows what hes talking about so that's probably it.

13. I used to shake and shiver when smoked anything. Then I realized I need to realx to enjoy the ganja.

14. I definitely get them. I hate it because my bf will start laughing at me. It's not every time. Bong rips do that to me. Sometimes I get really cold too. I notice it also happens if I'm around more then 1 person.

15. Used to happen to me, never really bothered me...

16. Just relax when your blazing the herb. Same thing happens to me once in a while... Usually when its not a very positive enviorment or some crazy shits killing the high...

17. the second time i got high - the first time i got really baked - my legs were twitching really badly. i warmed up fast, even though it was fucking freezing outside, and i'v had people tell me its normal when you start smoking. the blood flow thing sounds right for why you're cold and shivery, but someone told me i twich uncontrolably because the ganj made my brain kinda uncontrolable. :p

18. It happens to me too, but not with all weed. Sativas seem to cause it more then Indicas.

If it's really bothering me, I'll try to relax and take deep breaths for a few minutes.

19. Most people get the shakes early on. I know I did, I still get them on occasion. It's just something you're going to have to roll with. I use breath control to get over it. There's a reason all martial arts styles teach breath control as the first thing, it's because your breath is directly related to many of your bodily functions including muscle control and the fight or flight mechanism.

Try this one out the next time you get the shakes:

Take a deep breath for 4 counts (make sure it fills your lungs).
    Hold it for 7 counts.
    Breathe out for 8 counts (make sure your lungs are empty).
    Hold for 2 counts.
    Repeat.

I do that about 4 times and the shakes start to disappear. Give it a shot, it may work, it may not.

20. exactly. my girlfriend was trying to ask me something and i couldn't get it out. i needed 5-10 minutes.