Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anyone else feel the amount of strain names are getting silly.

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by Sir Tokes Alot, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Durban Poison is a real strain...

2. Some of the major ones will live on & be recognizable, but too many people focus on the name rather than the dankness. I'd much rather smoke some gas no-name strain, then an overpriced crossbread that is overpriced because of its name.

3. its annoying when people mix two strains (example: northern lights x white widow) and come up with a completely new name like "lightstorm lightningfuck" or something. there are way too many names. its gotten to the point where someone could make up a name off the top of their head, and i dont know if its legit or not.

i respect the classics (btw, durban poison is a classic which naturally grows in durban, south africa). if someone crosses two or three strains together, IMO it should just be strain 1 x strain 2 x strain 3. not some completely new, wierd name that has absolutely no connection to its genetics.

okay, so maybe names like "northern widow" or "diesel kush" dont bother me so much... but thats because its obvious what they are

4. I agree to a point. However, as someone who has done a lot of breeding over the years, if you get a stable hybrid with new desireable traits then it's fine to give it a new name. It is done with vegetables, flowers, fruit, etc. all the time. It's when people take minor mutations that don't breed true or F1 hybrids and give them a new name that it makes me chuckle.

5. yup latley peeple hav been doing this WAY 2 much. In 1 day at skool i heard like 10 different fucked up names and its alwayz sum shady ass guy i barely know whoz probly tryin 2 sell me midz. for example sum of tha stuff i heard 2day: Day N Nite Kush, bud-wiser, blunt guts, bubblegum magic, green rocket.

6. we had a strain called blueberry lights. it was.. blueberry and northern lights. and it was sick.

Ted Jones: "we'll name this one... spanish trampoline. i used to call it spanish mudflap but troy likes the trampoline so it's spanish trampoline"

dealers make up names on the spot if they're not getting legit exotics. fuckin. unless they say a well known strain (or a strain i can look up on the web and see genetics for) i'm like fuck that, it's just dank.

7. the names come from people making new crosses. you don't want new crosses? then go live in a cave and grow ak forever..
    thanks for new dank strains & names to every breeder ;)

8. lol, i bought bud tonight called jedi. :smoking:

9. Oh that's fine as long as they are stable crosses. Anyone can cross two plants. It takes time and skill and dedication to get a stable hybrid that has desireable characteristics and that breeds true.

10. durban poison's just a strain of headies

11. lmao all those names in one day.

12. It's to laugh really when one can look at the years of personal smoking histories displayed here between the newbies and the seasoned wood types here and the degree of expertise each has to offer . Some don't have a clue some do .

In the final , my take is like Shakespeare's quote :

A Rose is a Rose , by any other name would still smell as beautiful as a rose .

Many will argue that today's stuff is better than any thing before now as well .

Super weed was defined and researched , written and accomplished long before now . Ways to make "super plants " were grown in the 1920's and or about the 1930's in the USA. I personally read some of these old texts . Recently a 4000 year old Chinese emperor's tomb was found with an ornate stash box of weed , these dudes were always using only the best anything including the best stash !

And what about the agri-science of the Aztecs who's accomplishments with the hybridization of corn ? These dudes have it down believe me . Mx is a agri-giant in the world too and the reasons are super easy to see why . Super climates , super soil , superior history in different plant(s) hybridization(s) ....

In my travels into the heart of where the most fantastic areas of Mx's legendary strains came from I have spent time in and found shit that never leaves where it's grow ! Stuff as good as anything now a days grown .

Superweed grown by super old dudes that live(d) long healthy lives in little remote hamlets in wonderful scenic places along and around and near the tropic of cancer in Mx's mountains in Michoacan "

< http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...itzioIsland_PatzcuaroLake_MichoacanMexico.jpg >

( mistakenly called by many " Mishmakan " heh heh )

or on the coastal pacific mountains of Oacaxa < http://www.mexico.us/images/oaxacamontealbanballcourt2.jpg >.

Or the state of Guererro's legend Acapulco with it's name sake name weed " Acapulco Gold "
    <http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u60/fuzzygadget/goodjumpingfoto.jpg > <http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PTGPOD/332587~Cliff-Diver-Acapulco-Mexico-Posters.jpg >

Yes these guys have/had their names too for the stuff grown for commercial sales ( the big fields ) and then their " personal " stash ...........ahhhhhh soooooo gooooood !

Aloha

Local Boy

13. I want to make a strain called abusive uncle. One hit and you're out on the couch :smoking:

14. i know how ya feel, i was talkin to my mom one night and i said some strain name, and she was like what? that's not pot. sure, stuff like acapulco gold makes sense, but somewhere on GC last night i read something about a strain called dirty pussy. what?!
    but the names are always fun, and they can be helpful.

15. haha dude I got some shit in Lawrence last night not far from you called Jedi, and I was like what the fuck? Then I looked it up and I guess it is a legit strain. Real dank too, wish I had a camera here.

16. dude, it's dank as fuck. i think my buddy bought it in lawrence too lol.

17. People always forget, or don't know, that genetics aren't what make weed good. if you have 50 growers make white widow, you'll have a range of ultra dankess to shit mids. So that's what referring to strains by genetics doesn't work. The current system, of growers naming each batch something differernt ensures that all of that 'strain' is the same quality. So if you hear that the local 'yellow snow' is really dank, even if it's made up, that means that any yellow snow you get will be as dank. As long as the names aren't like 'purple haze' or 'pineapple express' whre it's obv bullshit, who really cares as long as all bud by that name has the same dankness or lack thereof.

18. Why not just call dank dank lol.

19. No, no, no. People who dont know what theyre talking about are silly, strain names are fine.

20. cuz dank can mean so much diff stuff. If someone says 'i've got some dank', that doenst' tell you much. You can ask people what it's like really. But if theve got a strain that is only of the same quality bud, you can find out exactly what it's like. Also, if you find a strain you like, you can find more of it that way.