Anybody use this chiller?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Rcass, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Bull crap. Bought mine right off Amazon.... Bro do you understand most grow shops are registered Amazon warehouses? Got an active aqua chiller off of it. Funny thing is it probably came from the grow shop I use to go to.

2. What are you talking about? Those ice probes are CRAP! A real chiller would be an Active Aqua, EcoPlus or JBJ Artica. I think you need to re-read my post. Reading comprehension . . . it's a THING!

3. I think goCp may have misread the post hydro, I was confused at first myself. Funny thing is I think you both are recommending the same and what appears might be the only choice for my particular situation.

4. If you want to use a Peltier (ice probe) device for cooling be advised:
    1. They are power hogs, consume more energy than a gas based chiller.
    2. They are QUIET!
    3. Get a real Peltier chiller if you are gonna go that route. A good one is about $3k

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OK; so there are different ways to use a chiller, and even more ways to chill DWC or reservoir. instead of using the chiller to chill your nutrient solution directly; you can set up a radiant type loop system with glycol and run loops of pex through your nutrient solutions, never mixing the two liquids. you will need a pump and manifold set up but it will work and you don't necessarily need a chiller. if you have a creek you could run some of the pex loop through the creek water or you can bury some pex like 6 foot down and use the 55 degree temp of the earth to chill your glycol mix. They have plate heat ex changer's that can exchange heat of two different liquids without ever mixing them. anyways one chiller will do you just gotta use some other means besides running the solution through the chiller. look into radiant heated floors for the type of setup i am discussing. With the fridge; same thing, just drill a couple holes for the tubing and leave a large coil in the fridge. the coil has got to be big enough to cool the return water as it passes through the fridge or freezer depending on how much cooling you need. the use of a pump and some isolation valves you can use to slow the flow of chilled water or speed it up depending on the system and how big your loops are in the reservoirs..hell just running the return water outside in some climates is plenty if the loop is big enough. crazy thought is to use the marijuana grow heat in your solution and pump it through a liquid pool type plate heater and have pool water in the side with a pump. its a basic pool heater but instead of using boiler water you use you nutrient solution to heat the pool and the pool cools your nutrients. lots of ways to do it. remember you are not moving cool you are moving heat, coo lis whats left. law of thermodynamics : a heated body will always move its heat to a body that is less in temperature until they equalize, even making it hotter than it is cause of the energy flow but will eventually equalize to the same temp. just some thoughts

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. @Megadethcloud @Headhunterpipes told yea all I was almost done. Not quite there yet.
    100_0465.JPG
    100_0467.JPG
    100_0468.JPG
    100_0469.JPG
    Everything is built inside and rigged for 12V including
    • watercooled via pump and TEC off CPU-cooler (an older styled model I got from an auction)
    • controller for watercooler/pump
    • waterpump for feeding; can be interchanged for smaller/larger models depending system
    • countdown timer for feeder waterpump
    • airstone air pump
    Testing so far indicated cooling to 14°C over an hour, but I need to calibrate and glue up the drain pipe and also insulate the rest of the tub.

• Winner Winner x 1