Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anybody use Marinol (THC pill Rx)?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by peacebaby, Dec 19, 2008.

1. I am very anxiously awaiting for the MMJ law we approved here in MI, to be all organized and ready to provide registration and cards. But I know this won't even be possible until at LEAST April 4. And I'm just suffering so much in the mean time.... not able to find good quality smoke to relieve my symptoms.

So I got to wondering..... perhaps I will tell my Dr. how much I REALLY smoke to alleviate symptoms & help work with my other meds. And perhaps then he will be willing to perscribe me some Marinol (Rx pills with THC) if I requested it! He's always been pretty open to listening to medications I'd like to try.

But I've heard before that the effects of Marinol are not at all equal to smoking or eating the actual cannabis herb. I don't know if that is true, or just one person's opinion.

So now I decided I should check in with all you guys here, and see if you've taken this med ever b4, or know anyone who has, and if you could share anything about it with me.???

2. hey peace baby I havent taken it personally but I know quite a few people who have everyone I know says its completely different like you said not the feeling of actual marijuana at all I have my medical card in california and have met many people at clubs who tried it before they tried the real thing and they said Marinol helps a little but they say nothing at all like real marijuana

hopes this helps you out

3. Marinol is totally different than smoking and it's expensive. The pills are low in THC dosage.

You'll get a body high and not much of a brainy one.

I wouldn't talk about smoking with a Doc.

Can you make edibles ? If so, it could be another option that is close to Marinols in terms of the actual high. If not Marinols are o.k I guess.

IMO the perfect solution would be taking both (but not in the same time).

When you feel like edibles or M's and so on.

Look at the recepies made by Hashmouf on the board, I'm sure you'll be tempted.

p.s: try to stay far from those THC home-made pills, they seem fishy :wave:

4. the pills suck ass..!

when i got my prescription (CA) the referring doc gave me some coupons for free marinols. the pharm techs were "jealous", but just cos the pills are so frickin expensive! if you like to feel mildly nauseous then gr8 but otherwise i found them useless :|

the way it works here is that most docs would never write a prescription for mj, fearing eventual harm to their practice. they're 'smart', they're chicken, they're smart chickens...to each his own i guess..
    then there's 1, 2, or more in a given area who will write the prescriptions, and they may do nothing but write pot prescriptions all day. -but, even then only if a "regular" ("straight") doc has *also* written down an "opinion" that patient would maybe benefit from mmj
    not sure what the MI setup will be... seeking out a doc who lets it bv known that they believe in this medicine could be worthwhile.
    it could take some time to work out the specifics for y'all

based on what i've experienced here, i suggest that if you frame your actions in the spirit of the law, if you keep documentation of all your claimable maladies and paperwork of doctor visits, copies of prescriptions for pharma stuff they prescribe that you can say isn't satisfactory for you, etc, etc, then-
    go ahead and do what you need to. start growing yourself some good herbs indoors now. order quality seeds from europe or wherever over the net, and you could have useful medicine in just a few months.

you have the law now, so that's when it's really our turn as citizens to *live* that liberty we've managed to wrest back .
    over the next few years it might be good to be friends with a mj attorney. someone who really believes in it. welcome to the wonderful adventure of legal marijuana!

5. #5 garvy, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
    hypothesis: it's a blessing, and a teaching that ganja is supremely effective when one comes into direct contact with the whole plant. for many reasons!
    like dolphins fans rooting against any other nfl teams ever going unbeaten for a whole season, i hope ther never able to fool anybody (except of corse probably some a Dem, can't help that ) to think that one of their pills could ever replicate the Sacred Herb of JAH!
    this Livity we reconnect with thru the cannabis comes from all about, from everywhere around us and above and below, everywhere except their laboratories, hospitals, office buildings, banks (or ther fukin schools for that matter...)

a blessing and a teaching, that we have the simple, paleolithic type experience of smoking dried flowers...

up a clean river, to wash my dreads
    upon a rock, i rest my head
    there i vision thru the seas of oppression
    don't make my life a prison!

even if the litl flowers didn't grow under Jah-Sun, there in your own region-- maybe they come from far away, in trichome-stealing plastic bags, from who-knows-where and cultivated who-knows-how... or even when...?
    [remembering what it was like to have to buy weed ... eesh]
    even then it's simple, like chinese herbalism. dried plant material bringing Medicine * from a whole web of Life-
    from the earth, from the stars, mediated too by "something of" the spirits of the animals providing the manures, etc
    [thank you peruvian seabirds!]
    and all the different components that help grow a plant, physical, energetic, etheric. sensing, perceiving, feeling and communicating... the energy of a person or group comitted to the plant. a plant has friends while it's alive (hopefully) - the little critters in and around it, the birds that fly by and all, the rakins...[​IMG]
    this is all there when you encounter a plant and is still present in well-dried herbs

obviously babylon is only interested in the cannaby for nefarious reasons: to control and exploit the people six ways to sunday
    so something like marinol is a funny multilevel oxymoron

i mentioned how expensive the marinolzzz was when i went to try some. it's definitely a blessing from a class-struggle perspective that herbalism generally (plus diet, and things lik movement training/exercise) are proving to be (huge overgeneralization) smarter, more scientific, and more effective than the 20th century's conception of "scientific" medicine

anyways this makes perfect sense to me, but then i'm high, i live in the hills and i am a fukin' rebel and all :)

* see john trudell's talk at the cannabis cup 2005 -

part 1 part 2 part3

6. I don't know how our MI setup is going to play out yet either.... but I know that I DO have a doctor who treats me strictly for my pain condition, and he is practicing "Rehabilitative Care and Alternative Medicine,"...... that sounds like a call to perscribe MMJ in the title alone! And I've already been seeing him for years. When I ever have mentioned that I use marijuana for my symptoms, he has never once looked at me like in a dissapointed, shocked, or disagreeable way! Last time I mentioned it, he just said: "yes, lots of patients find that to be a good way to alleviate some of their symptoms." And that's it! He didn't discourage OR encourage me to continue. Simply stated that he knows this is common. Period. And I think that in the long run, he will give me that recommendation I will need. And if he won't, I have another doc in mind who may. And if she won't either.... I'll go to the clinic ALL THE WAY in Southfield (I think it is), even though it will take an entie day, and get one from them. I'm not too worried about obtaining the permission. IDK, maybe I should be! But every indication so far looks like it will sway in my favor. Only time will tell I guess. I already called his office and left a msg for him telling him that I've been using more mj than just "once in a while," and am almost fitting into the "chronic" smoker phase.... that I'd like to quit, and wanna try Marinol 2 see if that's an acceptable alternative. If it's as crappy as it sounds, I will at least be able to say "I tried it, but didn't have the same results as with herb!" And then if I obtain all the legal things and can be a registered patient... I will get myself a vaporizer. Then I will even use my tobacco in it too, until I quit that one completely!!! Yay!

This is my plan anyhow.... We'll see how it really all works out!

7. good luck to you..
    interested to keep hearing how its going for you
    doesn't sound like it should be hard for you to get the recommendation as you're clearly suffering