anybody here know?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by chuckiez, Oct 21, 2010.

1. so i used to lift weights now im getting back into. whats the best exercise to do?? i used to do about %60 curls but im starting to focus on benching which is better for you?

2. What do you mean by your question? Neither exercise is inherently "better" than the other. It depends on your goals... are you trying to gain size/strength, add muscle, lose weight, gain weight, what?

I would spend my time working on my bench because that is a compound exercise whereas curls are an isolation exercise.

3. what is going here? what are asking?

4. im trying to get stronger im asking if its better to focus on curls or bench i know they both focus on different muscles but which one is going to give me the biggest gains the fastest? also is it bad to work on when you are still sore?

5. OK, then for gaining strength, you should focus more on your bench because that is a compound movement, you're working your chest, triceps, forearms & shoulders when you bench, but with curls, which are an isolation exercise, you're really only working your biceps and somewhat your forearms. You will simply gain more size/strength doing compound work vs isolation.

I would definitely recommend watching Dave Tate's So You Think You Can Bench series on youtube, it's 6 parts I believe... get stoned and watch it sometime. He teaches you proper form and it will definitely improve your technique and strength... probably 95% of people who bench are doing it wrong and correcting your form will accelerate your strength gains easily... after I watched this series, I went and added about 10 pounds to my bench in one workout just by improving by form, doing simple shit he talks about like "pulling the bar apart" and gripping the bar about as hard as you can or arching the back slightly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOk4OE_6uI]YouTube - EliteFTS.com: So You Think You Can Bench?[/ame]

As for working out when you're sore, I would just take the day off or maybe do some cardio if it's only my upper body that's a little sore. You don't want to injure yourself and if you're sore, and you're benching, for example, you might feel good for a while, but you sure as hell don't want to your body to quit when you got 150+ pounds over your chest, you want to be at your full strength for sure, not sore.

6. Lose the curls and focus on compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, bench, press (overhead), rows. Look up starting strength or 5x5 for good programs to get you started.

7. Focus on curls? INSTANT BRO MODE
    Google starting strength, only faggots "focus" on curls. Focus on becoming a fucking beast.

8. What if you're in your mid 30's and you physically can't focus on being a beast, but you'd like to lost at least part of your beer belly? I just get high and go to the gym at my apartment at like 3am and ride those machines and shit and watch tv.

9. im 19 so im ready for the beasty shit haha. im gonna start training with this dude brian siders in a few weeks if you know who that is

10. Strength training can still benefit you, and with a proper diet I guarantee you can get rid of that beer gut. It's not like you will become a "beast" over night... that takes years, and it'll take especially longer if you don't really have much previous training.

11. I mean, I'm not like, floppy all over the place fat, I'm about 5'10 and hover around 200. I don't want to make big muscles that I have to maintain, I'm just trying to get healthy enough to live another 20-30 years.

12. your definitely not ready to workout asking a question like that. chest or biceps? that is a classic example of being a noob in the gym.

your going to need to do your research i suggest body building forums. and working out isnt even half the battle, your diet is far more important

13. I understand that, which is why strength training is even better for you. When you do lower reps (3-5), you are mainly building strength with a smaller emphasis on hypertrophy (muscle building), so yes, you will still be building muscle, but you won't be as big as someone doing the same volume but with 10 rep sets. It's good for you heart, your overall health, and plus you'll probably feel great about yourself.

At 5'10 200, you could either be really muscular, or you have a little muscle with a decent amount of body fat. Say you wanted to lose that fat, and only build a little muscle while doing so. Lifting hard means more food you can eat, which = less fat gain/more fat loss, plus you aren't going to get bulky instantly by doing strength training. Yeah, everyone is different, but it takes time to get big. That's just my two cents. :smoke:

14. #14 chuckiez, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2010
    ive been doing 10 14 rep sets on 50 kg (about 110 ilbs im in the u.s) and sit ups everyday and eating mostly protein and calcium

15. dude like is said, do your research...
    10 sets? 14 reps? thats stupid. you need to eat mostly calories. if you get more protein than calories or carbs your body just converts the protein into energy. you should get at LEAST 3500 calories a day

16. No need to call him stupid, but yeah... I don't see a lot of value in lifting 110 pounds literally 140 times.

You told me your goal is building strength you really should look at a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts...

You need to incorporate Squats into your workout and not spend so much time + energy lifting the same weight 140 times, that will not help you build strength like a simple 5x5 or 3x5 program would. You will get a lot of muscle endurance that way but you will not see much in the way of added size + strength.

17. ok so would it work if i kept what im doing now to build endurance and did something like you guys are talking about to build muscle at the same time? thanks for the answers as well

18. here, suck in all the information you can.
    Teen Bodybuilding - Bodybuilding.com Forums

i never called him stupid.

when i go to the gym i do at least 3 sets and 3 excericises per muscle group. lately i have been adding weight every set.

the first 3 months of going to the gym i was doing whatever weight i could, 10 reps. i diddnt really get big, but shit.. i got really fucking strong. i was throwing around my friends that i thought no way i could take them just looking at them. if i were you, i would do something similar.

for your chest and back you should do 3-5 exercises. same thing with your legs.

right now im about 156 pounds. im only 5'8. i was weighing in at 138 when i first started working out. i recovered from some sort of eating disorder. at 138 i thought i was fat, and at one point my goal was to get down to 125 pounds. two years ago i weighed maybe 175 pounds.

i still have a distorted body image unfortunately. i think im way smaller than i really am.

19. ^ My bad, I misunderstood you. You were calling a 10x14 bench press routine stupid, which it kinda is, not the OP himself.

Anyway, there's generally a tradeoff between muscular endurance and strength... you can only get so strong if you're focusing on endurance and likewise your endurance will probably be lacking if you focus purely on strength... here's a decent article explaining the difference between the two...

Like, consider a soccer player vs an American football player. Both athletes have strong legs, but a soccer player needs to be able to run hard for the whole game while a football player needs to be powerful for short bursts. Or a sprinter vs. a marathon runner... a sprinter needs to be explosive while a marathon runner needs endurance.

So basically you can aim to be both strong and have muscular endurance, but that will be harder than just focusing on one of the two. You can only be so strong and have a lot of endurance at the same time.