Anybody else experimented with natural fertilizer???

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by chief_keef, May 5, 2023.

1. So I recently started growing again and have been trying different natural fertilizer. First one I tried was using green tea leaves and oats (boiling them together then straining and using that mixture for my plant) apparently it’s high in nitrogen which my plant loved because she’s green as can be and is overall healthy. Problem is the buds that are growing in are not big at all/airy. Am I better off using actual fertilizer like ff trio or am ok doing this???

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Second one I’m in process of trying is soaking banana peels in water for 24 hrs then feeding that to her. It’s supposed to be high in potassium (obviously) and phosphorus

3. Need to start a compost bin. That way everything will be broken down and ready for application. There's only so much nutrient that will be water soluble, allowing organic matter to brake down withdraws more nutrients. Also having a worm bin for rich organic castings and leachate is valuable as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I suck I’m still learning lol but should I keep going with this route??

• Like Like x 1
  5. It's a rabbit hole of information. Plenty available in the sticky threads under the organic section.

6. maybe a mod could direct your thread here:

Growing Organic Marijuana

as you do need to read up some great recipes here at gc

welcome

7. I stopped using leachate after reading this,
    The resulting dark water is tempting. It looks like a great source of fertilizer for your plants. Unfortunately, this leachate often contains a bad mixture of microorganisms. Left in the dark without the worms and bedding, the bad organisms reproduce. Leachate might also contain too much salt for your houseplants. Thus, worm bin leachate is a poor fertilizer.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Ive been using leachate for 4 years now with nothing but good results. I appreciate the info but until otherwise im going to have to keep using it. From my experience plants love this stuff. Even water my seedlings and small plants of all varieties with it. Haven't had a negative effect once.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I hear ya, I used to use it always and never had a problem. How much water do you cut it with? What's the temperature of your leachate?
    I know you know your stuff, I'll start doing it again. :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1
  10. #10 GroBuddy, May 5, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Depends on plant age as to how diluted, of course smaller plants are diluted more. Doesn't take much, as you know leachate is stout. I used to get ppm readings and feed according to plants age / growth, now I just go off of water color. Mines never over a light brown. Just kept at room temp, in a dark place not in direct sunlight.

I'll add I have a smaller worm bin, and harvest leachate often. Also I won't over do water or fruits/vegetables that break down into water. I don't have a ton of leachate often. The larger bins probably accumulate more and sit for longer. That may have a negative effect, bad bacteria isn't good for organic growing. Idk tho can only go off of my experience.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. I'm big on repurposing things (to keep "forever" items like plastics from heading to the landfill) and have found the large jugs from cat litter can be used to work as Kratky style grow containers or with yard clippings and water be a perfect vehicle for teas.