Anybody been to prison?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mogwai, Jun 17, 2012.

1. I'm watching Lockup and they're focusing on a prison that a good friend of mine is in. So it caused me to make this thread

Now I've been to jail before, but never prison. What you hear about jail from most people is actually quite different than what it's really like. But when it cones to prison, which is a whole new sort of place when compared to standard county jail.. I have no clue what it's REALLY like (I suspect this Lockup show doesn't give an accurate depiction of what it's like for the average person).

Has anybody served time in a prison? How was it and what were your feelings? Like I said I've spent time in jail and it wasn't bad at all, and going back wouldn't be the end of the world for me. It's actually and incredibly insightful place, and it can even be a load of fun at times because 90% of inmates are laid back and just trying to have fun to pass the time. I feel like prison is a much different atmosphere.. so who has been, how long, what for, and what were your thoughts on it?

2. Never prison ,just a few jail stays for unpaid tickets as a minor.
    Had a few friends and an uncle who served time.
    I don't ask them much about it though.

3. You went to jail as a minor?

4. Well in a way.
    I was 17 ,which is old enough to be considered an adult in Texas but not old enough to get the benefits .
    So I was a semi-minor.
    But yeah ,spent three days for a year old vandalism charge and one day for a Jay walking ticket i got only a street from my house. And yes they still ticket Jay walkers in Texas. The cops here are fucks.

5. i been to county jails...but never prison
    been to a texas uncertified jail, to federal certified...big differnce

but i find the culture in jails interesting....
    compared to regular society culture

i hate it when people call county jail time "prison time".

6. I did 24 months in FLDOC. I had previously been incarcerated for 60 days one time in county jail, but it didn't really prepare me psychologically.

The shows on prison are decently accurate. There's a lot of gang activity, it basically runs the compound. If you're white, you're automatically a bitch unless you prove otherwise.

It is it's own little world though. When deaths happen (always due to gang drama), the prison gets locked down for a few weeks, nobody can leave their cells or dorms and besides the family, the outside world never hears about it! Never a newspaper article, a TV report, nothing. Cash turns into a rarity and packs of Tops roll-your-own cigarettes becomes the currency.

I can honestly say that it made me realize how fragile we all are. I've been out for almost three years and I still think about it every day when I pass my refrigerator and see my ID card from my first day in. Skinny, scared, bald and lonely. It's all what you make of it, and I used the system to better myself. DOC worked for me because I refused to be another statistic and totally banished the idea of failure leading to return.

7. 2 Years In Prison - A Man's Story

That story is pretty detailed, and he answers a lot of questions. I enjoyed it thoroughly and felt like I got a good idea of what prison was like from him.

8. Thanks for posting this. I scanned a little bit of it about the drugs real quick. Let me just say, all prisons are not the same. The only drug that was EVER in the prison I was in was weed. That shit was expensive as all get out! The epitome of a pinner for the equivalent of $20. That correlates to about 4.5 packs of cigs.

9. A previous best friend of mine did 2 years in prison and from what he's told me (which was a pretty decent amount) his experience was for the majority alright. He was transferred to a few different facilities, some worse than others, but nothing too extreme. He said the minimum place where he was finally transferred too and spent around a year in, was pretty much the same as jail. You woke up, ate, and the had the choice of staying in your cell or going into the main area where guys either walked, worked out, or played cards/dominoes/cribbage/watched tv. There wasn't really an issue with gangs and fights rarely happened because no one wanted to go into solitary or be charged with another crime.

So for him, it wasn't an all together awful experience. I've never even been to jail, so I really can't contribute anything personally.

10. I've never been to prison but I've done 3 months, 4 months, 6 months bids in jail in my younger years.

I have several friends in prison though. I used to run with a rough crowd when I was younger.

Two of my buddies who went in served 4 years for Home Invasion.

My other friend got 6 to 25 years for home invasion/larceny (habitual).

Prisons no joke. It's no place for non violent offenders.

11. Agreed.

My experiences weren't quite as bad as some stories you hear. It was sort of a running joke in there, plans of the stories they would tell to the girls and their friends to make themselves appear jagged and rough.

I'm not implying anything by this, only that things get exaggerated. Regardless, it is no place for people like myself. My first fight was with a chubby black man. I got knocked the fuck out, but I was ready for another go when I came to. That's really all you have to do to get by, just prove that you can't be pushed around easily. I was lucky and ended up making the right friends quickly after that. If not for this fact, I wouldn't have had such an easy time.:rolleyes:

12. my best friend did 6 years for beating 3 guys to death, i haven't asked much but he isn't the same since being back.

13. Damn just 6 years for offing 3 people?

I guess it was at once and in the heat of a fight? Fighting 3 dudes off the the point of killing them is wild. I take it he's strong as fuck haha

14. No prison but been to jail... And seeing how jail is id hate to go to prison...

You cant pass go or collect 200 dollars....

15. nope only been to county and i fucking hate it....boring as shit.

i plan on never going back

16. I haven't, but my cousins facing up to 45 years for arson and some other shit. He's a dumbass.

17. There's nothing wrong with this topic, but please remember that we don't promote violence on GC and as such, please refrain from posting about violent criminal acts.

Thanks.

18. Ya..

I this is one of the few times ill say..

I think i have rich enough relatives to not end up in a shit prison..

I could probably murder someone and still get a minimum security prison just off my visual innocence and family money. :metal:

19. How much is your family worth exactly?

20. #20 aznno0odles, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
    i work with a dude who went in for 15 years. i never asked him for what though. he used to run tracks, sell drugs, all that shit.he got out like 3 months ago. anyways, hes got a bunch of war stories.and starin a dude like that in the eye is
    a little bit intimidating when he tells his stories.

he told me this one story where the asians were gonna go to war with these mexicans. one of the asian dudes in his gang owed the other gang like a grand , but he got released and just took the money and ran. so the asians were stuck owing a G to the mexicans.they payed half and they decided to pay the other half in a fight. they chose like 3 dudes from each side and just went at it and called it good after that.

he told me how he made his armor out of news paper and shit and weapons and shit. pretty intense.he was sayin how people dont even take a dump with their pant legs all the way on. at least one leg out so u can be ready to scrap if someone runs up on u

he told me how when he went to solitary confinement, there was a pentagram thing that charles manson made.

when he went in, his dad talked a bunch of shit to him, and those were the last words he heard before his pops passed away. and when he got out his wife was locked up, and one of his ex wifes is like a fucked up heroin addict now.

hes pretty much the most ,if not one of the most realest dudes i've met. extremely educated, and wise as fuck. thing is though, after he got out, hes way behind when it comes to technology and stuff like that.can't even get a job because hes a felon. idk why i typed all this but yeah , dude kinda turned my views around on allot of things. and makes me appreciate freedom.im never goin to jail fuck that