Anybody an autobody refinish and painter?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by James_Dean, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Im interested in getting into autobody as a career but the end game would be to be a painter. My question is do you like your job? Are you bored of doing the same type of jobs or does it vary? If you had a second change would you do something else? Thanks!

2. I've worked at my uncles body shop and have met his painters. My dad paints houses for a living, so I've seen that field firsthand.

It seems auto paint isn't a big paying field unless you've been doing it a long time and you're very very good.

I would keep it an option but have other means of income, electrical body or engine/transmission.

Another big thing that came a while ago is vinyl wraps, people pay up to a few thousand for a nice vinyl wrap, cheapest I've seen is about 1000 in souther cali for a reputable shop.

Seems like good profit to buy $100 worth of vinyl and charge 1000, only takes a few hours with proper tools.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah I was thinking about eventually getting a good set up and painting out of my house on the sid

4. my friend owns a body shop his father originally opened. i've worked there on the side, growing up together we spent a lot of time at the shop and both picked it up. since then i've moved on to automotive interior refinishing. there's money to be had, especially once you're a good painter. my friend specializes in restoration, but he has a contract with the state and a local used car dealership to make ends meet due to restorations coming in once, maybe twice a year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Get a cheap airbrush and some diecasts so you can get a feel for how the paint acts.

Or Craigslist a cheap airrig and paint and start on your own vehicle till you get the hang of it.

6. I was going to go to a junk yard and pull some body parts and try to teach my self how to do minor body repairs and eventually paint. I was going to enroll in school as well because I don't really see people In my area that will hire an apprentice with no shop experience.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Depending on where you live there is money to be had.
    Also if you get into painting and your anywhere above the salt belt i made a lot of extra money rust checking/undercoating cars and trucks on the side.
    I didnt go to school for autobody though. Picked it up over time as im a back yard mechanic who does work while maintaining my regular job.