Any "Tux-Heads" out there?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by matlk, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Hey, I'm new here. I was wondering if any of you guys out there run linux?

I run ubuntu and crunch bang.

Any way happy thanksgiving and stuff.

So ya, i'll probably be on here a lot.

...coool.

2. I too run Ubuntu and CrunchBang. I also run a shitload of different linux distros virtually when I'm just playing around or investigating. I use a ton of sweet LiveLinux based utilities at work too, like Clonezilla, GParted, DBAN, etc.

3. I'm a Gentoo fan. Work uses all RHEL.

4. Give Arch a try once you get a hold of the command line. It kicks the shit out of Ubuntu in every category save 'ease of use.' Oh Arch, let me count the reasons for adoring you: the package manager (pacman), the quality wiki that describes everything in detail, the community repositories (AUR), KDEmod, and foremost, the speed at which you complete any assigned task.

I enjoyed Ubuntu for a time. It was a good way to become introduced to the Linux world, but it's been pissing me off lately. I hate the newest release with a passion that I usually save for the Windows world (post XP). I have two reasons: first, it detects a RAID that I have disabled in my BIOS (nForce). Trying to disable this detection while installing it on my computer ruined my partition table on both hard drives. I've not been able to find a way to disable this. To be fair, I didn't spend much time trying after it wiped out my other OS's. Second, I was just installing it on my Mother's computer last night. Everything went well until I updated it. Both eth0 and wlan0, which were previously configured and working, were lost. I don't mean disabled, I mean lost. #ifconfig eth0 up returned an error suggesting that it did not detect the onboard NIC. Same for my wirless wlan0 device. $lspci still lists both devices, however, I was unable to get Ubuntu to do anything with them. Again, to be fair, I spent almost zero time trying to fix the problem. She's got Arch with gnome on there now. Boots faster, looks just as good. And most importantly, the wireless works.

5. Just started out with Debian. I'll use Knoppix when it's not my home computer.

6. i run crunchbang....i dont do anything except browse the web on it though

7. Ya can't go wrong with *nix, mate. :)

8. I started with red hat and programed it myself till it got shot with a shotgun. Thats why you backup your shit and don't tell anyone your growing....