Any tips for a first time harvester?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by tonymon1, Jul 22, 2009.

1. I have a couple weeks left it looks like. I have read though all the drying and curing threads so I should have it just about covered.

I'm harvesting one plant (link to cellphone quality pics in my sig) grown naturally, as in no lst or anything. So all I have is 1 (hopefully) big cola.

I need to check the humidity of my veg box which is where plan on hanging it to dry.

For a small harvest like this should I worry about getting special scissors? I have a pair of normal metal scissors I had been cutting my bud up with I plan on using those after cleaning them with iso.

During trimming will kief get knocked off? Should I trim it over a glass table or something to collect it?

Is 1 plant like this worth making iso hash or cannabutter with? If so which would yield better results?

Anything else I may not have thought of?

2. No, if you read the stickies you should have a pretty good handle on it. Make sure the humidity is low (to avoid mold); The slower the dry, the smoother the smoke.

I wouldn't worry about buying any special scissors or anything and I don't know enough about hash or cannabutter making to comment on that. ;)

3. Thanks. I'm super paranoid about mold so hopefully I can avoid that. Over the weekend I will test the now empty veg box to see what the humidity is.

I forgot to mention, I have another plant I sent to the flower closet on Sunday so I will have another plant following behind this one. Good thing too because this first one doesn't look like it;s going to yield what I was hoping for.

4. Biggest piece of advise for first harvest, LET IT FINISH! don't get anxious and go scissor crazy. check trichs. if you do have a couple weeks left, your plant should fill out a lot more, if you're doing everything right. After you trim just check the trim for trich's and see if it's even worth trying to collect kief from. You probably won't get enough to press or make oil, but you might have enough to sprinkle over a bowl. Don't get your hope's up for that, you need about 10 grams of trim to make 1 gram of hash, so yeah......:smoking:

5. For sure, this plant was on it's death bed for about a month, had some bad nitrogen problems early on than when I fixed those I accidentally the PH (the entire PH) which became a much worse problem. So ya I have no intention of pulling it early. Right now I seem to be at a mixture of cloudy and clear. The hairs just started turning orange, seemingly overnight they all changed.

I have been saving stems for a couple months probably have a gram or so I was hoping between those and the trim I would be able to make some butter or iso.

Any tips for storing trim to save up till I have enough?

6. jar it. When you do collect any kief put the trimmings in the freezer overnight first. It will loosen up the trichomes. If you dry sieve....

7. i would just use the scissors you have. i recommend you read AWs tutorial on QWISO hash. it will show you what to do with all your trim and clippings!;)

8. Use the force.

9. here's a tip...

try not to fuck it up. :p

10. I've read it many times, I just don't know if I will have enough to really do anything with. I think I would rather make cannabutter though. I know the ISO evaporates and all but something just doesn't seem right about smoking something that was taking a bath in a solvent.

Aside from getting mold I don't really see a way you can fuck it up. Worst case is you don't it properly so your end product isn't as good as it could be.

I guess I have it all under control. I was expecting some stories like "I didn't think about needing ______ till 5 hours into harvest, covered in kief, and stinking like peppy lepew. I got a lot of looks when I went to the store." :D