any suggestions on some jam type bands to check out

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by bubonic chronic, Nov 2, 2007.

1. i didn't want to put this in the music hall because it seems like most posts don't get too many replies there but anyway...

i'm in the process of making some cd's to listen to tomorrow while me and a couple buddies drop some cid.

some of the bands i like to listen to whilst tripping are umphreys mcgee, the disco biscuits, shpongle, george clinton and the parliment funkadelic, and of course the obvious ones like the dead and phish

i also like a lil bit of techno'ish stuff like infected mushroom or crystal method but in abundance

so i'm asking my fellow trippers out there to give me some suggestions on some bands that are great to listen to while tripping that i have not named. i'm sure some of ya'll have quite an extensive list lol

thanks in advance for the help :hello:

2. keller williams and the string cheese incedent are two good ones

3. disco biscuits, sound tribe sector 9, oysterhead, grateful dead, phish. widespread panic

that is all.

4. My tripping music includes:

Phish (best band of all time)
    Widespread Panic
    Gov't Mule
    Pink Floyd
    Shpongle

5. oh and the dead obviously...terrapin station is amazing

6. Perpetual Groove- they call their genre of music "trance arena rock" and it kicks ass.

7. I always like Rancid or Operation Ivy when im tripping. Its really upbeat and has a good tune.

:hello:eric:hello:

8. thanks for all the replies so far i'm definetly gonna start checking into your all's suggestions. keep em coming :D

9. I was going to suggest Umphrey's before I read your message, they're one of my favorite bands... seen them live 4 times. If you don't listen to moe. I would definitely check them out. Keller Williams is incredible as well. As far as crazy shit that will make you trip out, check out Oysterhead... it's Les Claypool from Primus, Trey Anastasio from Phish, and Stewart Copeland from The Police. Also Toubab Krewe... they're a jam band, but also have some crazy African instruments that give their music a really unique awesome sound.

10. Keller Williams, STS 9

11. Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Quasimoto, Philip Glass, Ravi Shankar, etc.

12. I say it in every music suggestion thread but it's only because I love this fucking band.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre

All their stuff is available for free on their website, http://www.brianjonestownmassacre.com/
    I strongly recommend the albums Give It Back and Take It From The Man.
    "Super-Sonic" is an absolutely amazing song, as is "Number 1 Hit Jam", "Servo", "Oh Lord" and "Monkey Puzzle".

Seriously, every stoner should have some BJM.

13. MY band

I wont post the name because it would probably be uncool but I had to at least name myself , since its the only music ( besides late sixties ) that I can really listen to

14. Get all the music from the band Particle you can. sounds like exactly what you're looking for, you won't be disappointed.

15. IF you want some ultra trip music , Try a CD called UmmaGumma from pink floyd . To tell you the truth , I am not a big fan of floyd , but ummagumma is totally full of sounds , it doesnt have ANY singing on it whatsoever . The sounds are created in a fashion to Intensify a trip experiance . I have personally done this my self in my younger days . It always trips you out majorly and the sounds move around and you litteraly think that there are some creatures in the room with you .

I gaurantee , I fricken guarantee that this album would be a complete knockout in that situation . The music is weird when you are sober but tripping , it is unreal . IN da gadda da vida , By Iron butterfly is another choice . it is not nearly as intense as the ummagumma but it does its job quite nicely

by the way , these are complete albums not just songs . To make the entire situation work correctly , a person must listen to the complete album of ummagumma . The songs ( if they can be called that ) blend into the next and they intensify as you also get higher . There is a reason why Hippies listened to this music back in the sixties . It totally dropped the bomb on them and sent them into different realities

16. if u want some jam band stuff download
    perpetual groove, moe., disco biscuits, widespread, wilco

17. alright thanks for all the info so far. i checked out some of the bands listed so far and i liked sts9 alot also perpetual groove was pretty good, gov't mule was pretty tight but i have another question for ya'll now.

do you know any place where i can download full length albums? i've tried google but all the sits i find are pieces of crap. i'm trying to download the disco biscuits Trance Fusion Radio Broadcast vols 1-4and a couple other albums such as ummagumma and a few umphrey's albums. but i can't find a place to do this. i figured torrentspy would have them but evidently i can't use that anymore since i live in the US. so any help with this would be greatly apreciated

thanks

18. The holy grail of great live music: http://www.archive.org/details/etree

Just click 'browse all artists' or whatever and you will have thousands of shows from some great bands. Tons of all the bands mention in this thread, have at it man :)

edit: Phish for life :D

19. If you're partial to torrents and just need a new site, isoHunt.com is a really good one.

20. yeah due BJM are the shit! watch that movie dig! about them. also check out ulu there a real cool groovy acid jazz band