Any rock climbers out there!!!?

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by the bubbla, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Hey guys and gals! I'm just a down to earth rock climbing chick that wants to know the places and experiences you guys had climbing. My fav place has to be the Gunks in upstate NY,New Paltz. Good times there!! Peace and good vibes :)

2. Hell yeah! Enjoy seein fellow climbers on here... actually started a thread about climbers out west and posted some pictures - check em out!

I have always wanted to go out east to do some climbing. I hear that the routes at Gunks are mostly trad. The majority of the climbing where I learned was trad and only had a few bolted routes to lead and top rope...
    but 4 years later and now I mainly boulder ;)

Have you gotten to make any climbing trips out west? If you like to clip bolts, I highly suggest Wyoming, Utah and Colorado. In particular Lander/Sinks Canyon and Tensleep Canyon in WYO, American Fork and Maple Canyon here in Utah, and Rifle in Colorado

3. Kenosha YMCA Rock Wall REPRESENT

4. Awesome!! Well I haven't been able to climb out west but my father goes out there every couple years to climb. He recently climbed devils tower which I'm pretty jealous of and mount Rainer. I'm with you on the bouldering! Love it! I think it's getting more popular know than when I first started climbing. I would love to climb the grand Tetons!

5. Dang! I wish I had the skills(balls) to climb devil's tower... I would put that on my bucket list, but trad climbing scares the piss out of me haha. That and I guess the crazy amount of exposure you would have... I can barely imagine myself just hanging from an anchor hundreds of feet off the ground.

Yeah, I also feel like bouldering is getting more popular. I just think it's way more "to the point" than sport climbing... If I go sport climbing with friends, it takes like 30 minutes to just get ready to climb. And then if you only have 1 rope set up, it could be an hour before you even get on the wall, not to mention the kink in your neck from belaying your buddies haha. Sometimes I just like the convenience of boulders. Generally shorter approaches, getting to the top takes about a minute and while a friend is working a problem on one side of the boulder, you can drag another pad to a different problem. The problem solving is much more fun for bouldering too. Way more diverse and gymnastic than a sport climb.

...or maybe I'm just too lazy to climb 60-100 ft in one go lol

Where have you been to around the east coast?
    My lady and I have considered going out there(Boone, NC) for a year or so, but I don't know if I can handle not being around skiing and snowboarding.

6. Ya the highest I've climbed was 350 and its not much but it felt pretty high lol. Ya I hear ya with sport climbing taking longer! It's more expensive seeing more gear and rope. Especially the higher you go the more protection and rope! Bouldering is def more than just climbing like you said. There is gymnastics and flexibility required. I usually do what's around me for climbing. I mean I'm only an hour 1/2 from the gunks so we go up there a lot. Down the road from there is peterskill. It's another nice climbing preserve. Around here in ct were i am, I go locally. But I have heard that Tennessee has some nice spots. I lived in NC for a year and we tried to find some places to climb but the rock is totally different up here. I ski! How cool! We head up to Vermont or Maine for skiing and boarding seeing we haven't seen much snow here in the last couple years except a couple "good" snow storms, but nothing compared to out west!!

7. That sounds pretty legit. the bouldering here is this really awesome granite that got quarried by the mormons to build the temple here.
    Huge blocks just lie next to the road with flat sandy landings to to flooding. It's pretty popular though, so holds in higher traffic areas are completely greased from chalk.
    Lots of the problems are slopers too, so you have to wait until the fall comes.

maybe somewhere in between 250-400 boulder problems, but the majority of them are hard as shit....

I've heard of great snow up in that corner. Have a few friends that come from stowe. A lot of people here are transplants from the east coast.
    Totally suggest giving the west a try! SLC is crazy... we get between 500-600 inches of snow a year. Such a huge difference from living in wyoming

8. Damn that's a lot of snow! That sounds like a climbers dream to boulder up that way! That's funny we usually go to Stowe every year. I actually was supposed to move to Utah a few years ago but the house we wanted but the deal didn't go through.