Any recommendations on a "nice" magnifier for trichomes?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by warbler, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Ive had a few different types of the basic ones you get at the hydro store over the years. Have been using the type that can clip onto your phone i think its a 60x. Anyway i have come to the conclusion that one of the kind that mounts on your head like the type a jeweler or watch maker uses might really help the issues of my shaky hands trying to hold both the flower and magnifier still. Does anyone use a head mounted type or have any you would recommend?

2. This is the one I use.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Haven't seen much in the way of a head-worn magnifier.
    What you might try though, is clipping a small piece from somewhere out of direct light, and put it on a table or something. My hands aren't all that shaky (yet), but was finding it difficult and frustrating to get a good look while still on the plant.
    A USB microscope, like the one posted previously, can be fantastic used this way. I set the clipping on a dark colored surface and lay the microscope right on the surface too. The scope has a plastic ring that extends well beyond the lens, you can literally stand it up on a flat surface with the clipping in it, works great, no shaky.

4. I have been using a usb cam for many years and it is has worked very well indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The USB cameras work OK but getting good focus can be frustrating. Set it close and tilt the cam or sample into focus-view.
    Be sure to take the clear plastic lens cap off when you find you can't see shit through it. :)
    Pay attention when you order as it needs to start at 0 or 40x. Some start at 200x and are way to strong for what we need.
    [​IMG]
    Taken with mine.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  6. Thanks for the replies everyone. Mine gets the job done for now i was just wondering what other tools might be out there that could make the experience better

7. Look into a Donegan Optivisor, I have several that I use.