Any Real Chefs Or Epicureans Here ?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Local Boy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Besides being a professional musician I worked many years in professional kitchens some in really fine restaurants and 5 star Michelin rated hotels in Hawaii and the mainland USA . I learned a lot of stuff in my 14 years at it while on my way to musical professional independence .

The use of fine wines and liquor to wow da mouth I know full well learning from the world's best chefs :hello: .

I have developed many great recipes that use cannabis and other not so traditional type liquors .

Any other chefs and or epicureans here to collaborate with ? Don't be shy jump in lets talk .

And anyone else who is interested in learning some really exotic ways to cook with cannabis and other stuff I and others who have something to share please join in and do not feel intimidated at all please ask anything I will answer it if I can :wave: .

Aloha

Local Boy

2. I don't have any professional experience (at all), but I love to cook. :)

I'm a fuck-up housewife in almost every other way, so I decided a few years ago that I'd learn to cook really well to make up for it, lol. I don't do a lot of gourmet cooking, since I have a 9 year old, but I'm big on using fresh, whole ingredients from local sources.

3. Hello Penelope 420 :

Cool your starting with the best gives you the a better chance on making something really great :hello:
    The way a person got to be a chef in the beginning during and long before the times of the Greeks , Romans or Chinese emperors and so on was a person with a road close to their farm where if lucky this person had fresh eggs , meat ( if near water fish/seafood ) veggies and what ever else the area offered . What made these people popular was their love of making something delicious from the areas " bounty " . Their open hearth , the smoke house ( something to preserve since no refrigeration ) made people from miles around make a " Bee " line to their door with the marvelous odors coming from their farms and then a reputation is born for wonderful foods people were willing to trade goods and or services for .

The key to this type of success is simple when the essential key ingredient is added . . .

And the one comes from your heart :D .

The best culinary advice I ever received came from my first chef who took me under his wing when I began to make culinary perfection my life's quest . He said two things .

# 1 :

Never serve anything you would not eat yourself

and

#2 :

Always cook with love in your heart :) .

So Penelope what ya wanna know ?

Give me something your planning to make and I'll see if there's something I can help you with to make it as super as can be :hello:

Here's a great recipe for a Rotisserie Pork Roast Ala Cannabis

A great way to make a pork roast on a rotisserie with the essence of cannabis for the main back bone spice flavor can be made with oil from the seeds .

To one ounce of seeds use one stick of butter or equivalent sesame seed oil , olive oil or rendered pork fat . Add to this one ounce or more of seeds . Cook slowly over a very low heat , the trick is to extract the seeds oil with out over heating it . The better the seed stock the better the flavor
    too .

Start with no heat and turn up the heat slowly with a small flame or low heat setting on your electric stove .

When you see and hear the seeds begin to release their oil ( remember low heat you don't want them to explode like pop corn! ) as the seeds hiss at this point , you will also see the greenish tinted oil of the seeds mixing in with the base oil you started with .

Take and strain this oil you have made and baste the seasoned roast as it turns till tender and done .

If you have not a rotisserie :

Brown the seasoned pork in a hot oven set at maximum heat . When nicely brown all over lower heat to 320 , and place in a roasting pan and baste with the oil and cover with a lid or aluminum foil . Baste though out the cooking time till tender and done .

The aux juice left after the cooking will be out of this world !

Serve with oven roasted potato's and a green veggie .

This is an oil great to use for other things besides basting a pork roast on a rotisserie .

This olive oil mix makes the best green eggs and ham !

The sesame oil mix is a twofer because this can be used for cooking and for muscle pain relief too .

Bud can be added to the seeds too and used the same way if you want to use it to cook with .

I have more and more stuff to show you ;)

Easy now :

Local Boy

4. That sounds good... are you talking about pork tenderloin?

I usually cook pork tenderloin with a maple-balsamic glaze. Just mix together a bit of maple syrup, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, worcestershire sauce and a bit of garlic. This cooks down into a really good glaze which is great on pork. We've had it with beef tenderloin as well.

I make a lot of Indian and south east asian style foods- lots of rice, stir-fries and curries.

5. ======================================================================

You sound like you have it going good , wonderful recipe I like it .

An nice variation on the sauce would be to make it have an Asian flare .

Use soy sauce and sugar cane sugar ( your call dark or refined ) and add fresh minced ginger . This is basic teriyaki sauce ;) Add a little bit of sesame oil to it too .

For a Korean style " Kalbi " type kick add a little hot chile powder like a tad of cayenne . On Maui they add pineapple juice to this for the famous Hawaiian teriyake ribs and the sauce . Ask your butcher for a :

" flanken "

style cut short ribs if you want to make this recipe .

A curried rice would go with this nicely .

Aloha

Local Boy

6. I make a very similar asian marinade with a little honey, soy sauce, lime juice, ginger/garlic paste, sesame oil, and chilies. This is especially good on fish and seafood.

If you like asian style short ribs, I made these over the holidays and they were amazing:

Asian Braised Short Ribs with Cranberry-Teriyaki Glaze

7. Sounds like the life man... I'm big into cooking, and after putting it off for a few years, finally putting myself through culinary school in the fall. Currently I am vegan and have been learning a few crazy vegan dishes/deserts. Once summer comes and i can get physically active again, i'm gonna start eating fish, and maybe chicken, because seafood and stuffed & grilled chicken breasts have definitely been my thing lately.

8. Hey Local, have you ever used cannabis seeds instead of pine nuts to make pesto? I think the slightly sweet flavor and creamy texture would enhance the flavor. Some people use the Asian basil to this effect instead of the Italtian basil.

I consider myself an Epicurean I guess you could say. I sell cigars for a living and love all things with good flavor. I don't cook as much as I used to. I roast coffee as a hobby and I'm thinking about getting into home brewing.

9. Close blood of mine is a Certified Master Chef, but other than that im not saying anything.

they have done a fuckload for the american culinary federation and is respected highly by many.

and yes, i eat their meals stoned every day.

10. That's an excellent thing for a substitution ingredient ! My complements ( reps ) to you on this one. I think it's next on my list of recipes to try with something of the sacred plant's flavor in mind .

When I got married I did my own catering . Dig :

Mexico , Hawaii and other places in the USA ( Texas and de south ) use the

" deep pit "

technique for cooking large amounts of beef or pork .

In Mexico they use the beef head whole as well as other cuts of the animal . The use of different spices to flavor this BBQ is as varied as can be depending on location where certain spices grow . Some areas use oregano , other areas use cilantro ( fresh coriander leaf ) and so on .

I took about a pound of tasty sweet Mx buds and used them for six heads of beef , six top rounds , four chuck steaks , ( whole mmmmmm good ) 4 turkeys and used about a gallon of red burgundy as well .

I used mesquite wood for the coals ( super long lasting and flavorful too ) . Each head , chuck , top round and turkey had it's own cooking container where a generous amount of weed was used along with other seasonings ( like sea salt , sage , paprika , black pepper and cumin and a few other things ) then closed up to retain the moisture content .

Once the coals burn down to the right temperature it's into the pit cover and 12 hours later mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good ! The meat on the head's cheeks has a super collagen content very flavorful and good for you too , the meat is removed and I served in chaffing dishes along with the other entrees .

The left over aux ju I used to marinate skirt stake ( this is the meat for " Fajitas " style grilled meat for quick soft corn tacos ) made on the spot as guests were serving themselves the BBQ :) We had traditional Mexican Mariachi band music during the dining phase and good old Rock-N-Roll afterward into the evening :hello:

Fed over 300 people , everyone was wild about the BBQ and the fajitas , I mean everyone was buzzzzzzzzzed nicely , old timers young ones , everyone :D , they all danced their collective @$$'S off too !

Aloha

Local Boy

11. Man that sounds like a good time. I'm sure the fajitas were great.

We have plenty of mesquite wood here in AZ, many people use it to smoke their turkeys come Thanksgiving.

I've not had much chance to cook with the good herb but I wonder if you have used it for poultry seasoning? It seems it would complement certain citrus marinades well.

12. Howdy neighbor :wave:

Cool your a hop skip and a toke away from me !:smoke:

Yes we had a superb time of it that day , my father in law a tea toddler who did not drink any more ( he was an admitted " ex "alcoholic ) and had never danced in his life was really rolling on the dance floor saying :

" I've never danced like this before in my life but I sure feel like dancing it up now " :hello: as the Rock-N-Roll saved his soul . He was jumping and spinning , smiling and really laughing it up having a great time . He was over all a drag most time always bitching about one thing after another save that day .

On use of the sacred herb on poultry I would say it would really work well as I did indicate the turkeys I cooked in the pit using the same said herb :)

Consider this rule for anything used to cook with spice and condiment wise :

The fresher the better always .

I have found that there are spices that do not do well flavor wise once dried . Cilantro , basil , tarragon to name just a few do not taste at all like they do when in a fresher ( freshest ? ) state . These herbs suck when dried plainly stated compared to when just a few days ( weeks ) old and stored in a refrigerator.

Dried pot can be and is the exception in this case as applied to the type of weed I was able to use because in this case it was properly dried and kept it's taste quite nicely like oregano and marjoram do when dried , stored and cured correctly .

Thanks for your input as well as those others who have taken time to read and comment as well as those who only read .

Aloha

Local Boy

13. #13 oldskoolgrower, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2009
    I've always loved to cook, from the time I was a young boy. I've worked in a few restaraunts over the years but I do not have a formal culinary degree.

I made Osso Buco last night.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: There is also a 'What's for Dinner' thread that I started a few days back if you're interested.

14. i've been in the restaurant biz for about 20 or so years as a chef, GM and owner.
    I haven't chef'd in a few years, but still dig cooking when my chef takes a few days off here and there.

I'm also huge into wine collecting.

15. An old high school friend of mine is a professional wine buyer for an import company. He always gets the good stuff :)

16. man i'm a sucker for a really dank bottle of cab.

i'm lucky enough to get a lot of stuff wholesale right when they're released. With the economy tanking and some of these restaurants not buying like they used to, i'm getting all sorts of allocations that i wasn't able to get years ago.

oh and OSG.. that osso-bucco looks incredible man! seriously professional presentation, and i'm sure it tasted just as good :)

17. worked a term as a KA at the top rated resteraunt in alantic canada.

18. Yeah I love a good cab or merlot. My wife is picky about reds though; she likes very few cabs.

Thanks for the compliment. I put the same attention into my cooking as I do my growing ;)

19. Thanks for the tip. There are some tasty wines in the $20-$50 range actually.