Any Pagans/Heathens here?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by NuclearGuru, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Anyone here follow their ancestral folk beliefs? I am a folkish Asatruar. To those that aren't, why do you follow a god of another group of people when your own people have their own gods? I'm curious.

2. What the hell is a Asatruar???

3. Asatru is a Northern European, mainly Germanic and Scandinavian, polytheistic religion.

Asatru Folk Assembly

4. Ancient folk religions are really interesting, to say the least.
    Its nice to have people continuing on their traditions.
    My friend is a Celtic Re-constructionist, and its really nice to hear him talk about the things he does.

I have dabbled in folk religions for some time, but I have recently found more truth in teachings of Zen masters. I've more so formed my own ideas via reading about each religion. I adore the respect and closeness with nature that is found in ancient religions, but I am also fascinated with the supreme understanding undertaken by students of Zen.
    Conflicting, I guess. I don't actively practice either.

Do you practice with people? Or by yourself?
    I'd like to hear about what you do =]

5. Well Buddhism can easily be practiced in conjunction with folk religions. In Japan, for example, many people are both Buddhist and Shinto.

I mainly practice alone but on the major festivals and holidays I usually get together with the local Kindred here.

6. Godless heathen here.