Any other poor computer savvy potheads forced to get a degree in computers?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by legalize_weed, May 20, 2010.

1. It's beginning to look like the ONLY way for me to work on having a future. Classes are cheap at the community college, and I know so much about computers just from being Generation X... It's not exactly what I want to do as much as what I need to do.

Just figured, this IS the marijuana forum, whoever has a similar situation to me must be laughing at this point.

2. Nope. My guess is that they sold their computer for weed.

3. My advice..if you don't like it don't do it unless it's a means to an end...ie. financing something else you'd like to do

4. I'm a computer-savvy pothead, but I'm getting my BS in computer engineering out of choice. I love being on the cutting edge of tech...one of my favorite things to do while blazed is read about the new technologies coming out, mostly in the magazine IEEE Spectrum (ieee is the society of computer+electrical engineers in the US, spectrum is their monthly magazine).

I definitely wouldn't do it unless you're interested in the field. I love the field and getting the degree is still such a bitch. You won't survive if you don't have some interest at least

Do something you like--your degree will influence what you do for the rest of your life, so id say its a bad idea to do something you don't like

5. Tbh, I wouldn't get a degree in ANYTHING basic with computers unless you're doing it for the lulz.

At both jobs I've messed around with (A market research company and Micro Center), I've met two techs that can't find decent enough work with their degrees and are going back to med school (I plan to do the same).

I'm sure there are still situations where getting a degree would be worthwhile...just go big or go home (find a HUGE tech job, at a hospital or ISP or something).

Hope my half-garbled words of wisdom helped :3

6. Getting a degree or some certification will help when applying for jobs in the IT market. Even if it is just doing some low-level crappy maintanance or help-desk.

If you do not have a degree or certification, you need experience. Lots and lots of experience, and a track record of getting the job done whatever it might be.

So it is a bit of a catch-22 really. To show what you are good for, you need a chance, but to get that chance, you need to get a gig. And you won't get that gig without those hiring you knowing you can do it. And without experience, something to show, it's not really happening.

But that said, if you got some experience doing programming, and a bit of imagination and stumble upon some situation that would be much better done with a bit of custom made software, go code your heart out and demonstrate it to those that might be interested.

It will put you on the map, that you are a go-to guy when it comes to custom software jobs. Like in any other creative arts, and software engineering is a creative art, portfolio is very important.

7. #7 MrGers, May 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010
    So computers have always been a hobby of mine.
    Built my own comp from the ground up when I was 14. Networked my parents house @ 16. Started charging hourly for computer help late in HS and early college.

My original major was bio-engineering, but then i switched to Econ. I love Econ. I want a job in Econ.
    I've had 3 jobs in the past 2.5 years...all IT. fml.

8. i chose computer science as my major. planning on switching schools and changing to video game development [my passion dont bother to lecture me please] and i smoke quite a bit of pot on a daily basis lol. computer involved jobs will be so damn simple after you have done the job for awhile. once you encounter it once you will always remember how to fix it again and by the time your old work is more of a vacation than work.

9. It's the cheap college I live near so I have to, computers are pretty enjoyable for me as you can probably notice by now. I'm way too smart with them not to at least start out with a certificate in "Computer Information Systems." Who cares. Nothing else would be as easy for me or as enjoyable.

Money is money, who here wouldn't rather sell hemp?

Also I agree with the video game developer guy, if I can start making video games, I'll love it.

10. Why would anyone lecture you? Find a few friends, work other jobs/loans to invest in a sick game etc etc and aim for MMORPG or consoles and you will be successful if its a good game.

11. Get a degree if you ever want to do something for another company. its that simple. another simple thing to do is go to the county and get a Sm. business License for whatever it is that you like to do, or think you could make money at. building computers, making web pages, cleaning pools, heck playing poker is a taxable income. make your money and own your life. dont forget money grows on trees. do your garden sell your extra and fill out your tax forms accordingly to the lifestyle at which you live.

12. In the exact same position as you. I work at a hospital and the only place to go for me is the IT dept... but i hate those douches. I know alot about computers, but Im not ready to use my knowledge for good :)

13. I've taken a bit of a different route.

Granted, I did study information-science at university level, but never got a degree since after 2.5 years of studies and reading and all that, I grew sick and tired of everything having to do with that life. I did not want to educate myself to become a database-admin. And besides, at the time I had managed to get myself properly immersed into the local music scene, doing lights at gigs mostly. Which was, still is (got a tour this September) great fucking fun.

Some of that kind of gigs also involved CG and projectors, which landed me a job for a local AV company. That since merged with the biggest stage, AV, lights and sound system company in town, well, the country really.

From there on in, I've managed to merge my love for computers and lights and big-screen video. And now I'm the goto guy for everything network and computer resources needed at various gigs. Granted, mostly conferences, but as concerts infrastructure relies more and more on the IP protocol rather than proprietary protocols (DMX, various video formats, remoting mixers etc) I'm getting more and more busy.

This week, I got a position to be a key part in defining, designing and maintaining the new network at the local concert-house. Biggest multi-purpose venue in Norway. That will look really good on my resume. Can't wait to start digging into it. First stage must be up and running by next friday. Then expand on it for another really large conference (for ESA and NASA) two weeks after that. And as the dull season comes in mid-july, clean house and get everything on cutting edge equiptment. Gigabit all the way. And if I get a proper say, phase out all PCs for the various organizations and administration in the venue over a two year period in favour of thin-clients hooked up to a marvel of blade-servers with proper automated backup-routines. Rather than the hodge-podge of systems now in place.

...and I still get to do the rock'n'roll lights-shows (and the not so rock'n'roll, but usually chill and comfortable conferences. :p ) :)

14. I actually feel ya on this one man. Ever since I got fired from my job (which was a good thing since that job was a waste and going absolutely no where) I can't really justify going back to a $10/hour job again and have been thinking about going back to school. Problem is I don't know what to study. I'm good with computers and I'm thinking like you are, it would be cheap and easy to finish and get a better job. But it's not something that I want to do, just kinda seems like since I don't know what else to do I should just go that route, So I understand brotha.