Any other Home Brewers around?

Discussion in 'General' started by tittiefish, Apr 9, 2008.

1. I'm a long time home brewer and grower and I've noticed that growers and home brewers have a lot in common. So I was wondering if there were any other home brewers around and what are you brewing/drinking right now? As for me I'm about to bottle my homemade hard cider but I have been drinking my barley wine that finished about 3 weeks ago. I'm thinking about a summer wheat next since summer is right around the corner.

2. My friend bought a Mr. Beer Kit (pretty cheap thing) and gave it to me because he doesn't like reading instructions. I have yet to start it, but will soon. Have you heard anything about them? It doesn't look to promising..

Any tips?

I know the most important thing is sanitize everything as much as possible..

3. Mr. Beer is pretty much garbage, but a lot of home brewers have started out with them. If you are serious about getting into it here is a good starter kit that you can make your first batch with. There are some good websites to check out also. I'm a member of homebrewtalk.com which is a home brewing forum and you can also check out How to Brew by John Palmer.

Edit: Hey I just noticed you were in Austin and I wanted to tell you that you actually have an awesome home brew shop there Austin Home Brew Supply. A lot of fellow brewers order all their stuff there and nothing but good things to say about them.

4. Yea, thats what I figured. I think it was like 35 dollars.

I will check out that shop. Sounds pretty neat.

Thanks for the info..

5. That is the exact kit my dad and I have used for years, it has always made the best beer, better than any store-bought brand IMO. It also includes the no-rinse cleaner, that will sanitize everything very well.

6. Actually I'm a homebrewer. I also work in a local Reno brewery. I'm actually brewed cannabeer which really does a number on you.

So how long have you been homebrewing?

7. This is the exact kit that I have sitting not twenty feet from me right now.

I bought it about two years ago with the hops, grain, syrup/glycerin/flavoring, etc. and it has been sitting down here for just that long. I'm sure I'll get into it after I find some decent directions, but the ones they sent me leave much to be desired.

8. Need to know anything? I could actually give you detailed, step by step procedure on how to go from grain to bottle.

9. I've been brewing off and on for about 10 years now. I used to make a lot of mead but lately I'm pretty much brewing beer and the occasional cider for my G/F. I was going to go to work at a small brew pub as an assistant brewer, but I didn't want to ruin brewing fro me by turning it into a job.:D

10. Nah, making it a job doesn't make it any less fun. Plus I can take home kegs whenever I wish

11. I've never brewed my own yet... But I plan to when I move into my apartment next semester ... Is it very hard to do??

Can anybody give me some good links on how to do this? Much appreciated and if it's a damn good link +rep COOUUULLLDDD be in order :cool:

12. Check out the link to How To Brew by John Palmer in my second post it walks through just about everything you need to know about home brewing.

13. I've only homebrewed twice, both times were about 5 gallons of a really nice pale ale.

I have such utter respect for every single serious homebrewer there is out there. It is a science. It is an art. It is beautiful.

Not only that, but pretty much the only beer I seriously enjoy is a nice local microbrew.

My hat is off to anyone who homebrews and exerts respect towards the hobby.

14. i think on the sam adams site they have instructions on how to home brew, i seen a commercial where they talk about how they make everyone who works there at least try to brew there own beer.

now distilling liquor is a hell of alot funner hobby, cuz your breaking the law n doin some straitup science shit haha

15. They actually have decent instructions too, and a lot of tips on mistakes that beginners make.

I was reading through their guides a while back, they aren't very thorough, but they do at least point out all the common mistakes

16. I've actually made wine at home for about 7 years. When I moved to Texas, I thought it was a good time to try my hand at beer. Started my first American Pale Ale about 10 days ago, using How to Brew by John Palmer as a guide (along with my winemaking wisdom) and ingredients from the aforementioned Austin Homebrew Supply. Can't wait to taste my first batch, but I'm still a few weeks away. In the meantime, I'm drinking New Belgium's Blue Paddle ... at least today.

Frier -- definitely go check out Austin Homebrew Supply. The folks there are very friendly and will answer all of your questions. They have a bunch of recipes as well. To the extent I can, I'd be happy to help a fellow Austinite out.

BroJo's First American Pale Ale fermenting away in a carboy

17. Nice choice on the pale ale, I know I was very impressed by mine

18. TO EVERYBODY WHO WANTS TO LEARN HOW TO HOMEBREW!! These are your two essential books. I worshiped these when I was learning. I never put them down. They are:

The Brewmaster's Bible by Stephen Snyder

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian

Read The Complete Joy first, as it will break you in a lot better than The Bible. The Bible is more about advanced techniques.

As for difficulty, it's not terribly hard. You just need patience and minimal cooking skills. And the only way it'll get easier is if you read read read and experiment.... a lot.

19. I just bottled some cider today and I'm trying to figure out what I want to brew next, still undecided. I was thinking about an IPA but I'm just finishing a Barley Wine which is a hop monster so I was thinking of something a little less hoppy. Maybe a cream ale or hefe. What are you guys brewing right now?

20. IVE THOUGHT OF TRYING TO MAKE MY OWN BREW,,,,

im gonna check .. those links out later...