Any other cooks/chefs floating around the forum?

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by The_Igor, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Hey guys, I'm a working cook. I love what I do, and obviously I'm also a stoner. Just curious of how many other cooks/chefs actually chat on this forum.

2. Right here 6 years into cooking. Sous chef at a very popular restaurant&bakery in my city. Knives are beginning to become an obsession. But it's all good because #knifeskills Hahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  3. Oh damn. You got some experience over me. I'm just about to pass my first year. I'm a late starter. Yeah, I'm only at 2 knifes so far. A trusty Chef(8in.) and Pairing knife. Trying to get a knife roll next. I read The Professional Chef like its a bible. lol.

4. Yeah man it get fun when you get into it. I have a couple shuns, a morimoto and some random santokus. Also picked up a 7" cleaver at my local dollar store for $3. Holds a better edge then my kitchens line knives. Just goes to show those brand name knives are great and all, but quality can be found anywhere.

5. Oh yeah man. I know a guy who grabbed a cheap Japanese cleaver for like $15 and loves it. Shit, I have the 2 which are both J.A. Heinkels. No one believes I was at target with the girlfriend shopping for something(can't remember anymore but it was like new cutting boards for home or some crap) I saw the pairing and 8in chef knife hanging with the crap brands. $65! On sale for both! The chef's alone is an $80 knife so you bet I jumped on that real quick.

6. Making food is a very fun thing for a stoner!

I don't actually cook, but am a sushi chef. Still fun.

As for knives, names isn't too important, but the steel, heat treat, geometry and fit and finish is really important to me. As you can imagine, knives are very important in sushi. The Japanese know how to make knives!

• Like Like x 1
  7. That's pretty awesome. How did you get into the art of Sushi? That's a trade not a lot of people I've worked with really know.

8. I was doing an office gig as freight fowarder, which was about the same money, but I couldn't see myself doing that for a long time, lots of stress in that business.
    Decided to try something radical (anything really) and found a sushi class in Los angeles for not that much, and tried it out and I remember one day we started making Maki (roll) and I said 'it's just like rolling a joint!', and fell in love. You get to meet new people daily at work (unlike office jobs) and drink with them!
    But as a person who makes food, it's all about making a great dish and the person thanking you for the awesome food you made.

9. Yeah, that's respect you don't get cooking behind a wall. Everyone tips the waitstaff, no one asks to to see the cooks doing the exceptionally amazing job behind the walls.

10. Sous chef here, love the job even though the hours are shit... As you guys know. Don't think I'd ever consider switching careers, it's a passion as well as a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Keep dreaming Sade!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Went to culinary school right out of highschool, worked in bars and dinners for a while but ended up going into trades for 5 years and now I'm just a very handy housewife who loves to cook and grow weed.

13. Post pics of your knives too

14. [​IMG]

Top to bottom, Tojiro chef knife, my 12inch Black Dick, wüsthof paring and a tsuki santoku. Got a lot more but these are the ones I use the most.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Not my set but a picture of a set like it, have a santoku from Japan as well just a $20 street vender POS but I haven't had to sharpen it in the 6 years I've owned it.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. Not without a paycheck I'm not....there are some real jerkoffs around here, I'm not feeding them on the house!
    :p

• Like Like x 1
  17. Some of my knives, the yellow handle one isn't for work, but I sharpen it while at work.
    [​IMG]
    My main knife (yoshihiro yanagi, suminagashi finis, which is damascus in japanese).
    She's pretty for sure.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. I started in my teen years in Washington DC, working in my family's place, then some French bistros and various other restaurants . Cooked in DC, PA, FL, MD, NC

Took a break for a few years to work on farms and orchards, study ag sciences, mycology, etc, to have a better background as a chef

Did it 20+ years, retired now, quit after cancer battle, decided to stay quit now that I'm in my 40's. Grew a beard and some hair

Currently remodeling my home kitchen to do medical edibles and edibles for diabetics

I miss it, though, the rush, the crazy people. It's not something you can just forget

My last job was cooking Indian food, something I fell in love with

• Like Like x 1