Any News on Grasshopper Vape?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by andrewcarnegie, Jan 31, 2014.

1. The way it loos too be honest, unless this pen had god himself helping out with the design, it will perform like a T vape (god I hope not)..

as for future orders from grasshopper, I think it's safe to say a majority of people will get their pens and never buy another product from them

2. The first units have shipped! Should get some independent reviews soon. Latest demo video showing the ABV looks good. I still have to wait until May for mine but I should get to try a friends before then.

3. When someone on this forum gets theirs, please post your thoughts here!

4. #84 Hated, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2015
    Havent seen any user reviews on FC yet either, When are the concentrate attachments supposed to be released ?

5. I would look for the first reviews on fuckcombustion.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. #86 JiggyJax, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    Vaporizer Wizard has been trying it out. Find him on Instagram and Reddit for info.

Also, apparently the GH team is in China now to oversee the first "real" production run.

7. Anybody can go on Kickstarter and raise money by making ridiculous claims. If your pitch is good enough, people will ignore all logic and support you. I'm pulling for the Grasshopper and I HOPE that it works great, but I think I'll wait until the product has been released and tested for a while to purchase one. 

8. #88 JWest, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
    VaporWizard has been posting about their test unit on reddit - according to them it's very good. TLDR - vapor production is is great, herb comes out a perfect golden brown, and the build quality is top notch. Here's the thread:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/vaporents/comments/2y9p2k/spending_the_weekend_with_grasshopper_ask_away/

I've been following it for a while, and although they over promised on delivery time by a long shot, product development takes a while. And these guys definitely put a lot of love into this product. I'm pretty excited for it.

Here is a pic of the GH ABV that he posted up over at FC.   Sure doesn't look like a perfect golden brown to me.
    [​IMG]

10. Isn't that the image that was from a .3gram bowl ripped only 3 times on Max temp through a bubbler just as a test to push the unit? He said "it gets MUCH more even avb if you use it in a more normal fashion lol. Also the picture doesn't do it justice, its more even irl". But maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah, he just posted up a more recent pic today where the ABV was more even, but still, not a "perfect golden brown".

12. Agreed, just wanted people to know that was an unusual case.

13. #93 Hated, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
    Tbh I don't trust him, reminds me more of a car salesman then a non biased reviewer. I wouldnt mind hearing literally any one elses opinion.

14. #94 lwien, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015

I posted this up over at FC in regards to his reviews:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANYONE, be it an FC member or not, who gets a free vaporizer from a manufacturer to review, be it a beta or a final production unit, is faced with a bit of a conflict. Do I report it as I see it without any regard to the fact that the manufacturer sent me a free unit? If I clearly point out it's faults, am I somehow being ungrateful to a company who not only sent me a free vaporizer but also trusted me enough to write a review? Would this review be just as brutally honest as it would be if I purchased the unit as any customer would do while at the same time, not having any relationship with the manufacturer other than a manufacturer/customer releationship?

There's a whole other mindset that comes into play when you spend your own hard-earned cash on a product versus getting a freebie from a manufacture and this difference does come into play when writing a review. It also comes into play if even if you paid for it but received preferential treatment because you are a reviewer. It's the relationship with the manufacture that comes into play here.

I know this because not only does it make sense strictly from a logical point of view but also because I have received free units to review myself and I know that when writing such a review, I am constantly thinking about how the manufacture will feel about it versus just writing a review on a product that I spent my money on and it's a struggle to not spin by overstating the positives while understating the negatives.

For me, I would trust a review more from someone who purchased the unit as an end consumer.

Just a thought. As I said, nothing personally against Buzz for this dynamic would hold true for anyone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15. Hey guys, just letting you know I found this thread, and will be happy to answer any questions if you have some about the Grasshopper.

In response to your post, I feel the person who responded to you on FC hit the nail perfectly on the head:

"While I do agree that there can be a conflict of interest when it comes to reviewing products that are gifted or reviewing a product that you have a personal relationship with, I also think that self preservation would win out. Imo. What I mean by that is if you have a reputation of being a reputable reviewer you do not want to lose credibility because you gave a positive review to a crap product. If you have a strong following it is not worth jeapordizing your base and your credibility aka revinue stream, to appease a manufacturer."

I have way more to lose than to gain by giving a review that isn't my honest opinion.  It's also worth noting, that my trip to Colorado cost me over $1000 out of my own pocket, so it's not like I "just got a free vape" to hand out a good review.  I was willing to spend the money to go test something new and exciting, I was actually very nervous I was not going to like the unit or the founders and it would be awkward while I was there.  I also tried to do the best job I could in providing fresh content for something people have been wanting more information on.

16. #96 lwien, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015

And my response to that, Buzz, was the following:

"I agree but it's not as blatant as giving a "positive review to a crap product", but rather a bit more subtle, like I said above, "spinning by overstating the positives while understating the negatives".

It's for this reason that I also give very little credence to any reviewer who owns a site that has links to on-line retailers, for there too, is a conflict of interests.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should agree with me on this. Just offering up a perspective."

Buzz, you've provided some great info on the GH over at FC and I as well as the rest of the FC community really appreciates that.   But there is no denying that there is a conflict of interest here so the real question is, how does one manage that conflict?

By realizing that my reputation is all that I have. So I am forced to stay unbiased and give only my honest opinions after my own extensive testing if I want to be relevant and survive.

18. #98 lwien, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015

I totally understand that that is your intention and I also understand the reasons behind it, but the fact still remains that there is an inherent conflict of interest here.   

Like I said in my original post, there is just human nature at play here.     I too have received free units from manufactures to review as well as having more than just a consumer/manufacture relationship with those manufacturers and when I post up a review of those products, I too feel that I have a reputation of sorts to maintain.   But even so, I find myself conflicted when addressing the negatives of a particular vaporizer sent to me for review.    While I would never tell a blatant lie in regards to specific issues or negatives about a vape,  I do find myself not being as aggressive in stating those negative opinions as I would have if I was just an end consumer.

So, because of this, for me, rather than putting any credence into a review done by a "professional reviewer" who may get free product as well as being compensated by on-line retailers, I'd much rather compile opinions from a multitude of experienced vaporists of whom I respect and who are in fact, end consumers who do not have any relationships with the manufactures other than strictly a customer/vendor relationship.    Once that relationship becomes more than that, the reviews can become tainted, regardless of the attempt to remain unbiased.  I'm talking about spin here, not blatant bias.

Others may not agree with me here and that's ok.   All I can do is to state how I feel about this.

We will have to agree to disagree here then, I need a reputation of having fair reviews if I want to continue getting views, It's completely and entirely in my best interest to only be fair and unbiased.

While most may feel guilty about talking about a downside of a free vape, I would feel guilty not talking about it because I worry way more about my viewers than I do about a vape manufacturer.  (They should want only honest feedback to push their products and the industry forwards anyways) 

And I think my reviews speak for themselves.

I do respect and understand your opinion though, as a consumer of any product it is always best to be skeptical, and to get a multitude of varying opinions. There is no replacement for doing your own due diligence.  Hopefully as you continue to see me around, you will come to realize I have only the best intentions, and I truly am giving my honest opinions.

P.S.  I was a backer of grasshopper, so I paid for mine, I just got it early ;)  and I also purchased well over half of the vapes in my collection (and 70% of the ones currently reviewed on my site.)  It has only been very recently I have begun to get anything for free.

20. #100 JiggyJax, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015