Any News For Canada?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by DiamondSupply, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Policies have just been getting more and more strict. It will likely continue until 2015 assuming we don't re-elect Harper.

Latest piece of big news that I can recall is that medical marijuana patients can no longer grow their own weed.

2. Right when I thought canada was the best "weed country" in the world for their prices and the good bud.

fucking harper

We can still get there :) , we just need a leader who isn't so out of touch with the rest of the country.

4. *cough* Liberals *cough*

5. Thanks for explaining that.  I agree with the fact that Harper is a idiot. I have read posts on here about him. I know i wouldn't want him here in the states as president anymore than the current moron. needless to say it will take the people of both countries to make a difference.

6. #26 faremainz, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013

Actually, I was thinking it might be the other way around: the more states that have some form of cannabis legalization, the more likely the next federal government in Canada (definitely not the current Conservatives) will promptly legalize cannabis.

Previously, Canadian federal election dates weren't set in stone and it was up to the Prime Minster when to call an election, but it had to be at least every five years. Now, the date is fixed, which is every four years on the third Monday in October.  As before, the date could be earlier in the situation of a minority government losing a "non-confidence" vote, which almost always happens eventually, hence the shorter time frame as indicated by Exodromos.

So the next federal election should be on Oct. 19, 2015. Legalization definitely won't occur before then, at least federally. The province of BC might effectively decriminalize before then, but it's hard to say how likely that will be (currently, I think it's a long shot).

BTW, here's a simple primer to the Canadian parliamentary system. Imagine if your federal elections only involved voting for who will represent your district in the House of Representatives. Imagine if the Majority Leader automatically became the President. Imagine if the Speaker were an impartial manager or referee, despite being a member of the majority party. Imagine if the Senate were unelected with no real power, whose main job is to rubber-stamp legislation that's passed in the House. That's very roughly what it's like in Canada.

7. As was seen from our last elections,legalization usually happens during the presidential elections,California tried in 2012 and failed to legalize for a couple of reasons one of those was because of lower voter tunrout. I agree that your government might be watching the states in their movement towards legalization and it may take the states legalizing to convince your government to follow suit. However, what both sides are watching is the states that have it legal now. Alaska is going to try in 2014 and from what we have been seeing they just may succeed. I am hoping that they will, that will give other states who were on the fence about it the incentive to go ahead and try it themselves. Because of the economy being in the mess it is we really need something to stimulate it, and I believe that Cannabis legalization is a great step in the right direction to do so.