Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Any military PTSD MMJ patients here?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Loner Stoner, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Ok, so I was in the Navy for about 2 and a half years... joined right out of highschool when I was 17. I got accepted into a very unique program within the Navy, that attached me to a Marine Corps infantry platoon. I was trained as an electrician, then trained as an infantryman, then sent to Iraq.

In iraq, our squad would be dropped into "hot-zones"(areas of intense combat) and we would secure the area, using brute force. While doing this I must have killed over 20 insurgents, the exact number is hard to say... but 21 was my official Confirmed Kills on my first month of combat duty.

Months like this went by, as we would receive new missions every few days. Some missions would be long, some short... just depended on how high the resistance in the area was. And I'll never forget Oct. 13, 2006 when my helicopter and the helicopter holding my best friend were shot at by RPGs(rocket propelled grenades) hitting the chopper my friend was in. The chopper went down into a heavily guarded enemy installation. When we circled back to see if there were survivors... what I saw scarred me for life. I saw an insurgent take a 9mm pistol, put it to the back of my bestfriend's head and pull the trigger. I was devastated. All I could do was grab the .50cal machine gun mounted in the helicopter and fire like crazy towards that bastard. I killed him, yes, but I had disobeyed an order to not fire... since there could have still beeen survivors.

I finished the rest of my combat tour, which was 12 months... although I fought for 13. I was ordered to receive a psychiatric evaluation when I returned home. I was diagnosed with PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder) immediately. I was told that I was unfit for service and received an Honorable Discharge with full military honors. I kept my health insurance (Tri Care Prime) and all of my benefits plus a monthly stipened check.

My problem is that I have PTSD. When I smoke MJ I feel better plain and simple. I've been told that PTSD can be treated with MMJ, however I live in the state of Texas where there is no such program. I've always wanted to move to California to see if I would qualify.

Is there anyone who was in the military and left with PTSD and is now being treated with MMJ? I would really like to have a conversation with you via pm.

2. California has thousands of vets like yourself, and yes, PTSD is an acceptable medical diagnosis, no problem with that.

I think it should be worth qualifying in any MMJ state though, I know some of some vets in Oregon as well, but just from talking on here, gc.

Texas needs to update its laws, to reflect the needs of its people. But then so does most of the planet.

3. Absolutely if you move to California you would be eligible for a recommendation, I don't think a doctor in the state would deny you - especially tell the story about your buddy getting shot point blank, that shit is harrowing.

Thank you for your service, and I'm glad you came back alive (if not well). I wish you the best of luck in the future and I hope you can get healthy.

Good job sir.

4. Might I also recommend looking into MDMA psychotherapy....it's proven to be quite beneficial to PTSD. Only if you're comfortable with it of course. That's a sad story you got there man, I wish you my best.

5. If you think that MMJ is making a big difference in your life, then I would definitely suggest moving to an MMJ state, especially one where you can grow.

The last thing you need is stress about the illegality of your medicine.

6. shit... I usually pick on sailors but as far as im concerned, you are just as hard charging and deserve every bit to be called devil dog. +rep +respect. thank you thank you thank you. I am not a ptsd patient but i will say this, don't ever let anyone discredit you do your thing smoke what you want and find another vet, a real combat vet, from any conflict and swap stories. It really helps, don't waste your stories on someone who was not there, thier heart may be in it but they wont understand and youll just end up dissecting painful memories and explaining shit. Just go and sit and have a couple beers with another vet and you can start the healing process. Yuo will never forget and you will always have the dreams, but you have to go on and live as normal a life as possible. And remember these doctors may have more degrees than a thermometer but they werent there and no classroom can make you a vet. sorry to ramble and go on but you deserve every bit of help that i or anyone else can give you. Thank you so much for giving up your childhood for me.

7. I'm not yet but I'm seriously considering it here in Oregon. I'm not sure if you can get your card with PTSD alone, but I'm sure you can get it for the many other things associated with it. If you see me on here you can PM me if you want. I was in the Marines, went to Iraq twice, (OIF 1 and OIF 2). Stay up, and at least for me smoking really does help. The only real drawback to it is, as my friend told me the first time I lit up, is when people get on their moral high horse and look down on it. Fuck them.

8. Sorry for the response taking so long but, thank you guys so much! It was an honor to protect this country's beliefs and I would do it again if I could.

Its just sad that I have to move from Texas where I grew up to the more expensive state of California just to have my medicine filled. I am a firm believer in that MMJ should be a federal program!

9. Yeah, so sad that only 13 states recognize marijuana as a medicinal drug. Even sadder that the federal government still feels it has zero medical value.

Thanks. Yes it was very harrowing and required and still requires countless sessions of counseling.

I've never looked into this but I shall do some research on it!

So true, that fact has added more stress to my life.

Thanks! I hated it when people called me gay for being in the Navy. I consider myself to have been in the Marine Corps though, since the only Navy Officer I ever dealt with was the Lieutenant who flew the helicopter. Thats a real good point you make about finding a combat veteran friend. I have several actually. I drink beers with most of them and they are always there to offer a shoulder when I just can't fight back the tears anymore.

Hoorah my fellow devil dog. Thank you for your service as well! And yeah, mos def screw those people who think smoking marijuana is morally wrong. It really helps me, bottom line, so screw what they think. If I'm ever up in Oregon I'll be sure to shoot you a pm. Semper Fidelis.

10. Maybe try Colorado? It's closer to TX and probably the second most lenient state behind CA.

11. Sorry I can't answer your PTSD question, but sir I offer you my heartfelt thanks and deepest respect for your sacrifice and service. Because of brave men like you we all sleep easier. I salute you sir!

12. That's an awful story, and I feel bad that you had to go through that. I wouldn't wish it on anyone despite them defending their "country's beliefs" and interests.

Definitely move to a mmj state, you'll be much happier there. Take care, man.

13. Loner Stoner as a fellow Salior, a shipmate, a man who ran through battle stations, and an active duty member, I salute you!
    Thanks for doing your time in the Sandbox.
    As for this special program I would like to know more.
    I am an SK3 and on shore duty but I would really like to go over there.
    I know your opinon might be different, but I have my reasons.
    PM me if you want to talk.
    Again thanks.

14. youre the shit! im joining the navy in a year/ were you seal by any chance? and yea definitely go to a mmj friendly state

15. Holy shit man, that's intense. Good luck with everything.

16. Daughter of an early Viet Nam vet says Thank You.

I have diagnosed PTSD (childhood abuse) and at 47 have finally had a year of near peace. Thank You Cannabis. I found that not only did it quiet, or stop, the palps/shakes/flashes and let me relax...I learned to finally Deal with things that were "untouchable" and put them in perspective and away.

PTSD, to me, is like a huge knot that sucks in every bad thing that has ever happened and ever will. So, just pulling some event free, here and there, makes that knot smaller.

I hope that you find Peace.

17. Damn, that's quite a story. I would be devastated if I saw that happen to a friend of mine. Good luck with everything!

18. Yes, by all means, come to Colorado!

As Stevie Ray Bong expressed you'll be much closer to home and it is extremely lenient here. I'd like to add it's a more affordable option to CA, there's a lot to do year round and the topography is awesome. We are very lucky to benefit from living in this paradise known as Colorado and we welcome you with open arms.

19. Loner

I cannot thank you enough for your service. Regardless of whether society believes in the mission or not, supporting our troops once they arrive back home has to be priority number one. I have several friends Over There right now, and several more in the Oregon National Guard, which was just deployed last week. Your service is truly an inspiration and selfless in every way. My father served in the Vietnam conflict, and though he has never smoked marijuana, he holds EVERY serviceman in the highest of regards--your medicine of choice has NOTHING to do with it. Do whatever you need to get where you need to be, and please let G.C. know if there's anything we can help with via forums. From Oregon with much respect and encouragement

UJB

20. <--disabled vet of the navy (i was stationed with seal team 3) i have ptsd and my mmj, but in california..im moving to texas soon and am stuck with the same situation ur in...