Any hunters out there?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Deleted member 97913, Aug 7, 2008.

1. i thought we weren't allowed to post guns on gc...

i had a pic with a gun in it and i got my dick jumped on for it
    wow
    =\

2. I'm assuming that we're pretty much in a grey area here, since this part of the forum is primarily based on discussing the nature of our outdoor tendencies. Telling us to not post anything about guns in this area would be like telling a baby not to read Nipple Enthusiast Magazine.

You know you're right, though. I posted some shots a few days ago in the 'Dare To Post Your Pic' thread of me shooting a friend's shotgun and they were promptly removed.

3. I mostly bowhunt with a compound. But, I've also been dying to get a recurve. I'll probably order one directly from a local maker soon.

Good luck with picking one out, and make sure to practice, practice and more practice before heading into the woods with it.

4. Oh, absolutely. I haven't used a bow in close to six years now, so practicing with it is a no brainer. The last time I shot a full quiver was at a Bullseye Competition out of state with a 50 Pound Scopeless Compound and I came in third, so, being only 14 at the time, I've really always had a knack for it. Not to mention that after the initial investment of the bow, a good set of arrows and a case, everything else is pretty much up to choice. I do plan on getting a decent quiver, though, just not at Bass Pro... they overprice the hell out of them.

Seriously though, I would definitely buy a Recurve if you already have a Compound to hunt with. Shooting primitively, so they say, has always been highly respected amongst archers from what I hear, and it's an excellent skill to learn. I'm currently between a rock and a hard place with the decision of which one to buy because I love Compounds to death, but I feel practically the same way about Recurves, if not more.

I'm honestly thinking about investing in the compound some time next month while hunting season is still open and I can still draw a Tag, then saving up for my Recurve over the months after that, maybe buying it as a birthday gift to myself in March.

We'll see. Thanks for the insight buddy!

:D

5. You're right, in archery there is something special about hunting with traditional equipment. There are so many gadgets and gizmos that can go on a compound, that it can get out of hand. Here in PA, there is a big backlash against crossbows from most bowhunters because they think it's too easy. Since I've upgraded my rig, I cannot believe how easy it is to hit the bull from 40 even 50 yards out(though, I would never take that far of a shot). So getting back to basics is definitely in high regards.

Where I hunt, it's pretty thick, so a recurve would be just as effective as any high tech bow out there due to the relatively short shots.

I see you're from Co. Springs, I spent some time there a while ago. Beautiful part of the country. Would love to plan an elk hunt there sometime soon.

Good luck!

6. #66 Durchii, Nov 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
    If you're in the area, we'll set up base camp somewhere in the mountains. Let me know ahead of time and I'll put you in for Elk tags ahead of time! Sounds like a good week to me.

:D

I do agree with you on the amount of shit that you can put onto a Compound, because after a while, you may as well be shooting a rifle. However, I also don't make much sense out of the controversy floating around about Crossbows in the hunting circles all over the country. It may be easier than using a traditional bow, but it's a medium in itself and some people like to implement it rather than using a rifle, or even a regular bow.

I, myself, love crossbows but it's more of a 'having fun' kind of thing than anything else... I highly doubt that I would end up using one for hunting if I had a Compound or a Recurve at my disposal. It's just like what I was saying about Crossbows... using a Traditional Bow is just more of a pure medium in bringing down an animal.

Plus you feel better when you miss.

;)

But yeah, I am reaping the benefits of living in this part of the country as best I can. Having moved from Chicago with no hunting friends, much less a vehicle, I was never able to drive up to Wisconsin or Michigan for any elk hunting, so being this close to the mountains really helps.

7. Sweet! That would be a great idea! I've been looking at guides and whatnot, but they all seem rather expensive. That and I'd rather a DIY trip. I like the idea of figuring out an area, calling them in on your own and such. Though, packing out an 800 lb animal would be a bitch without horses. Getting an elk tag in PA is like winning the lottery since they opened it up in 2001 I believe. Is it tough to draw a bull tag in CO.?

I hear you about the crossbow. They are already legal in our area due to the high population of whitetails. The game commission wants to thin the herd around Philly and Pittsburg since the suburban sprawl is perfect habitat for them, so they're legal in the surrounding counties but illegal elsewhere, unless you've got a doctors note saying you can't pull back on a bow. They'll never make a dent though, as most lands are posted and a lot of people have negative views about hunting and hunters around here. I doesn't matter to me what someone uses, but alot of guys think its going to bring a lot of slob hunters into the woods during archery season here. Between Philly and Pittsburgh, there are a lot guys during rifle season that think it's an excuse to get drunk and fire a gun. Hence why I pretty much only go during archery season.

You're living the dream out there! I wish I could follow that one as I've got family in Denver and Vail.

8. I'll have to ask my buddy what Bull tags were like this year, but he only bought a cow tag over the counter no questions asked (and he's only sixteen). From what his step dad tells me, he bought a Bull tag this year over the counter as well, which might be something new due to overpopulation. Buck tags are a different story... something like 15 out of 100 hunters are able to hunt Bucks legally every season, archery or otherwise, but a lot of people cheat.

Some guys last year thought it was a good idea to clip a 14 Pointer in the vitals, then shoot it in the leg close range to make it look like they put the animal down out of good charity (which is something that the DOW looks very highly upon if it's a legitimate case)... little did they know, that they blew its leg in two while I was scoping out the same hunting site about a hundred yards from there. They were not having a great day after that...

In all honesty, the level of respect and commitment with hunters around here is usually much higher compared to most places east of here, even Texas has more fuck ups every year than we do. But you are right, occasionally there are a few drunken deaths because someone forgot to unload, turn the safety off, or pack their common sense that day. It's a damn shame, but I'm glad to say that it happens here a lot less than it could.

9. Keeping with the spirit of the season, I've been salivating over some of the local Wild Turkeys that hang out near a park about twenty miles away.

Remind me to buy some of these for when I finally decide to land one.

:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSKy3PbddZk

[​IMG]

10. Well, I love it all... Lately its been a lot of grouse, partridge, and pheasant hunting, but on the 9th of this month deer hunting opens in North Dakota. I drew a tag for a white tail buck and I have one scouted that I am planning on tagging on opening day hopefully; hes a beauty of a 6 by 7 with good height and width. After deer season, I will be doing a lot of ice fishing until thaw. Im not sure what I am going to shoot my deer with. I have a 30-06 savage or a winchester 30-30 lever action; im leaning toward the 30-30 because its just fun to shoot.

11. Good luck swell on tagging that buck!

I just saw a monster 12 pt tonight on my way home on a farm about a quarter mile from the property that I hunt, that I never saw before. I sure hope he mosies on over!

Durchii

OMG! Those are awesome! I've never hunted turkey with a bow before, but I am going to go get those, we're in the middle of fall turkey here. May have to take some time from the rut to see those things in action personally!

12. My last name is Hunter. That counts, right?

13. I am a MILF hunter does that count?:D:D

14. Hello all! im new to GC, but im a HUGE hunter and outdoors man. Been on the ducks and deer since September. Ive bagged 2 deer, and about 25 ducks. Hows everyone else doing?

15. Hey man, good to see another Outdoorsman in here. The rut is going strong here have seen some really huge bucks Chaseing does. Good luck

16. Yes sir the rut is in full swing! I have to down my buck before the 26th, thats when duck season come back in. I dont buy beef, pork, or chicken so its got to happen if i want meat this year! 2 in the freezer goes quick, and 3 + ducks is perfect. What state do you chase these furry bastards in?

17. Iowa, Kansas, Illinois. I have 5 mounted, 3 bow kills and 2 rifle kills. They score from 138" to 182". the 182" is a 19 point non typ. He has double main beams on his left side. I have a monster spoted this year , he should score around the 180 mark also. Wish me luck!

18. Who can put a smile on there face after killing an animal for sport? You see it was for survival before and even the indians respected what they killed, and now a sport? Wow humanity is on a road to self destruction.

19. Have any of us in this thread said that we killed animals primarily for our own carnal enjoyment? There are several other threads on this topic, as well, that is, about a debate that's been going on for nearly several hundred years: Is it killer instinct that hunters are filled with, or a need for food?

Cheebaa said it best, i think: Harvesting the meat from an animal that you killed yourself is far more humane than taking part in the collection of meat from food processing plants.

Of course, we all take some level of joy in the commitment of hunting game, but it's not a sociopathic urge to destroy life. In some areas, hunting is not only allowed, but encouraged to keep certain populations of animals down, preventing the dismantling of other species and the deaths of others due to overpopulation.

Of course, there are those who do what I just mentioned and kill animals recklessly for sheer thrill, but that shouldn't count for the nature of an entire group.

Let me know if I'm out of line here, because I may have taken your comment the wrong way. I'm just throwing out my opinion.

20. Culling i understand, and not everyone will have a smile on there face but the fact that its a sport is sickening. Imagine killing humans as a sport, is not only cause of our intelligence that we dont? Weres the companionship for all living things, cause even though animals may not have the intelligence as human beings does this mean there below us? We all still live on the same planet. Animals are aware of there surroundings and existence, and bare the same reality of consciousness as we do.