Any geocachers on here?

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by ElgaeRaw, Oct 23, 2013.

1. I searched the forum and saw that it had been a long time since anyone had brought up geocaching. Anyone else partake in this hobby?

For those that don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, geocaching is kind of a high tech scavenger hunt where players look for hidden objects given only the geographic coordinates. A container of some sort is hidden and other players use the coordinates and a GPS receiver or a smartphone app to find it.

There isn't necessarily anything of value in the containers. Generally they contain only a logbook of some sort to allow geocachers to document their discovery. Occasionally larger containers will contain items of local significance or small items for people to take or trade (usually for children).

I've been caching for a little over two years, and though I don't have a ton of finds under my belt, I have seen some truly amazing sights that I would have otherwise likely never discovered. 

Here's a short video for anyone that might like to learn a little more.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YTqitVK-Ts

2. I just started by up last weekend. It's been so hot where I live we haven't had a chance. Took the kids out and got on a group of caches that took us on a 2 mile hike. We,ll probably start doing more as the weather cools. Gotta love the desert.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

3. It really is a fantastic hobby that will not only take you to great places, but once you catch the bug, it provides constant motivation to get out and enjoy the outdoors. I'm planning a trip to Colorado in the spring, and I can't wait to find some in the many different types of landscape available. 

Unfortunately, it's already starting to get quite cold in Tennessee where I am. But as long as there's no fucking snow on the ground, I'll still be out hunting for hidden hoards.

4. I've got a buddy who's into it, and I've been on a few with him. I was deep in a swamp hunting a couple of years ago and saw a box hanging up in a tree. I feel extrememly bad for somebody going to find that one not knowing what kind of hell hole it was in. I was in hip waders just to get to it.

5. Haha. Some are in pretty rough places. Luckily most people, when listing geocaches they have hidden, provide detailed terrain information to give people a heads up. At the very least, every geocache is given a rating of 1-5 stars in terms of both difficulty (the mental challenge in locating or retrieving the cache) and terrain.

There is also the ability to list if any special equipment is required to locate a geocache. Sometimes a boat or dive equipment may be required or climbing harnesses or safety ropes for the other direction.

It's a very diverse activity that caters to many different thrill and activity levels. There really it's something for everyone.