Any fellow blades DJ's? (Show your setup)

Discussion in 'Clubs, DJ’s and Festivals' started by LightandSound, Dec 10, 2012.

Oh nice. I'd like to be able to eventually learn the ins and outs of Ableton. Not just for live performances but for production and just making mixes/mashups.

Bumping this thread.

Been trying to practice a lot more lately. Really starting to get into house, deep and tech house. I really need to start recording my mixes and playing them back. Just need a cord for the computer. I'd like to eventually get a local gig, but I'm really not looking to spin top 40. I'd love to get a gig playing trance, but I don't know any places around me that hosts parties like that.

2. #42 Deleted member 549226, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
    my buddies and i are living in a house off-campus next year with a three-car garage that's been gutted out into a sweet hangout spot (three tv's, beer pong, foosball, strobe lights, lasers, sound system, keggerator, fuckton of couches, etc.). we're planning on throwing some dope parties in it, and i wanna try my hand at DJ'ing for 'em. all i'm doing right now is practicing on VirtualDJ like a cheap bastard but it's pretty fun, i'll let ya'll know if it ends up being a worthwhile venture :)

3. #43 Huey_Freeman, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
    DAMN. Nice setups everybody. I am just getting to DJ'ing. My music library is vast and I have a good understanding of Music Theory.. Also I'm very tech savy so I should click with it like that. Just ordered my first controller (Pioneer DDJ Series DDJ-ERGO)...
    [​IMG]

and Audio-Technica ATH-M50S'
    [​IMG]

I know that the controller is fairly simple setup compared to some other blades on here but It was good price and exactly what I need right now. Didn't want to jump right into it by spending 2000+ on equipment.

The program i will be using is called Virtual DJ (only because it comes with the Pioneer controller) I've heard good things about Serato so If i end up hating Virtual DJ i'll switch.. But virtual DJ is supposed to be pretty damn good too.
    Right now I am going to have a setup just at my place and then once I master it/feel confident enough I will come up with my marketing and start booking gigs.

One thing I can say is that it is hard as fuck to come up with a DJ name that is not taken yet. lol.

Nice man. Is there a reason you chose the Pioneer over say the Mixtrack or S2? I got the Mixtrack, but was looking at the Ergo too. Decided with the Mixtrack because it was cheaper and I wasn't sure if I was going to take it seriously.

As of right now I'm dedicated and I feel like I need to move on to a better controller. I might purchase the Ns6 towards the end of the year, see if the price drops a bit. The Mixtrack is nice, but if I would play some small gigs, I'd rather roll up with a ns6 . The pitch sliders suck on the MT, and 4 decks is always nice.

My ultimate goal is to spin vinyl, but for home I'd love to get the DDJ-SX. Especially if I end up playing clubs with CDJ 2000s. It would be an easier transition.

5. Hey guys! Checking in again, glad to see this thread is still goin :D

I just released a bangin new mix I'd love for all you to check out! The Hardstyle Highlife Vol. 3 features nothin but the best in Hardstyle! Head over to my soundcloud and give it a listen, oh and check out my facebook too and give me a 'like'! 

https://soundcloud.com/djlush724/hardstyle-highlife-vol-3

Anyone have any good gigs recently? New mixes? Send em my way (Please god no trap or dubstep. Sorry, but I'm not sorry :p)

Like it man. I want to get into hard style, but the only artist I know is Headhunterz. I dig that industrial sound.

Got no mixes yet to speak of. I still need some cables to connect to my computer to record. I'm running serato intro and it doesn't have a record option. I'm really penny pinching until I'm very good with the basics. My beatmatching is getting better day by day and also my whole overall beats/bars/phrases recognition. Only really practicing 30-60min a day. Don't want to try too much and get discouraged.

My goal is to be completely weened off a computer and eventually use cdjs with sd cards, or vinyl. 

7. That's the way to do it :D

It's real easy to get frustrated but just take a break if you do and go back at it the next day or something. I've been spinnin for like 4 years now, prolly like an hour a day. I love it.

Let me know how it goes man 

8. I chose the Pioneer controller based on reviews and the quality of the jog wheels. Honestly It is overpriced, and too flashy for my taste with all the lights and fancy lighting effects. The buttons and knobs are also uncomfortably small and cramped, almost on top of each other. I may send it back for a cheaper unit that has the same functionality, such as the s2 or a Numark. The DDJ ERGO LE is definitely a solid piece of equipment, built well, and the jog wheels are excellent. But the price is not justified. Basically you are paying extra for the Pioneer name and the fancy unecessary lights. However, you can for sure create some funky fresh beats on it.

The headphones I got are A+++ , I cannot say enough positive points about these headphones. They are perfect.

You got any gigs yourself? What kind of equipment do you use?

Up until the ddj-sx I've always heard pioneer was a step behind the others in the controller game. Of course the cdjs, mixers and all that they're the standard, but for some reason their first batch of controllers were priced too high for their quality.

Depending on what software you want to use, or if you want to eventually use no software would depend on the controller. I vote for the mixtrack pro, or even pro 2. I like the pads on the mixtrack pro 2, but I hate the pitch slider. You move it slightly and it can be off. It's a pain when really learning how to beatmatch.

Don't know much about the s2, but it's definitely a legit controller 

10. Bumping this for more activity

11. Just sold off my cdjs and I have gone back to vinyl. I never thought I would be mixing on proper turntables again but it's soooo nice. Vinyl time code has come a long way in the past 5 years. I'm using the new 2.6 traktor with a kontrol x1.
    Its a good combination as the x1 is nice and compact and can also be used for remix decks.

**sending your Shit via plannet express **

12. Thinking about selling my equipment and going to vinyl as well 

13. You won't regret it. And you can pick up some bargains on used 1210's. Timecode & vinyl = perfect combination. :)

I actually just picked up some cdjs. I saw at my local record shop a pair of 1200s for sale. The guy wanted $900 for the pair, but I probably could've haggled him down. It was tempting, but like I said. I just got cdjs. Vinyl is pretty useful though. Even if you stop djing you can still use it to play records.

15. In the UK you can get a used pair of 1210 s for around £400 you can get them even cheaper if you don't mind minor cosmetic damage. :)
    It really is a buyers market at the moment. :)

Those will definitely be next on my list. Looking to build up a vinyl collection eventually. Want to be able to play wherever and with anything.

I actually just picked up 2 cdj 350s and a djm 350 off ebay for $720. I think I got a decent deal. Especially when 350s go for around 300-400 on ebay individually. The main selling point for me was the rekordbox feature. I also like how theyre pretty small. I have barely any room in my house. Can't go wrong with Pioneer anything for cd players

17. I personally don't rate the pioneers as highly as some of the better denons but unfortunately pioneer is an industry standard cdjs. On the plus side they are pretty simple and a bulletproof build.
    Its a shame technics didn't get there 1200 cdjs right the first time. These were shockingly poor when realised but when they had they're firmware update they were fuckin awesome. (same motor /pitch slider ect as a 1210). By the time they got it right pioneer had dominated the market. :(

Sent from my HTC One using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. Too slow technics lol
    Ah but they had a good run with the vinyl decks eh?
    Iv got 2 CDJ's 1000mk3 and also had them with a xone92 then a djm800
    But just sold my mixer so possibly
    May sell my CDJ's
    I have these fazes where I'm just not feelin it
    Maybe this is a long one of those but I havnt touched my decks in a whole year that's strange for me like :-/

19. #59 Soxfantony773, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
    dope. I have a decent cd & vinyl collection and ive recently been wanting to make tracks using samples and i dont know how to go about doing it. ....I love vinyl but can see the ease of using a computer or cd's instead of records.  I am a total noob.....is taking samples and drums to make a beat considered producing? anyways i would like to start buying equipment.This is going to be mostly for hobby, i dont need some $1200 technics. Do i need an MPC? or what about a usb audio interface? some guidance would be greatly appreciated/

20. #60 PDR Greens, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
    Here's my setup. Used to have a few residencies, but now I just mix/collect vinyl for the love. Have been DJing for 12 years.2x Technics 1200sXone:22NI Audio 8and about 1000 records. (Mostly 80s-90s hiphop, Deep House, and Techno). ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1381779477.186166.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app