any experiences with figs ?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by nugwings777, Apr 21, 2017.

1. I am going to grow some dwarf fig seeds . I was wondering if anyone knows why I shouldn't grow from seed ? I wish I knew of a fruit tree seeds website that had pure varieties . And anyone can talk about anything about figs . I am going to be growing so. some dwarf fig kind ficus carica . I wish I could find those Amazon jungle cluster figs seeds . those are so beautiful . I thought it wasn't possible to grow figs from seed only clone . This variety is supposed to be easy to seed start .

2. Good to know!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I love figs. They grew in a lot of back yards when I was growing up. I can't grow them where I live because they aren't a cold hardy crop.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I love figs.

Earlier this season I was given a cutting from a very old tree. I managed to get the thing rooted and stuck the hairy twig into a planter of soil. Three leaves and counting. It will be a while before it bears fruit.

Good luck with yours.

5. Here In the hot and dirty South, the battle in my outdoor efforts has been against slugs and snails. Have been trying to work around them with eggshells and coffee grounds with my Goji berries, Raspberries, and Blackberries. First season for all so nothing producing yet but hopeful things will be rolling next year as I do my best to entice the local hummingbirds to enjoy my ornamentals.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. I wonder if I could grow one here!! I love fresh figs..they are a small fortune here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Here too. They were selling for $1.50 each. Luckily a customer of my wife's dropped a box full of them and we were finally able to eat enough to feel sated. The box was probably 25 pounds.

I gotta say that my little tree didn't do much of anything this summer.

8. That sucks I never got to taste fig .saw YouTube fig videos so got seeds and had to do with when the end of the world that's the parable of the fig tree Jesus spoke of