Any experience with CBD Crew seeds?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by KillerKush87, Nov 5, 2013.

1. #1 KillerKush87, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2014
    I am starting my first ever high CBD strain grow from CBD Crew. The strain is Sweet n Sour Widow....regular seeds. That was the only strain that wasn't feminized. I wanted to get a male or 2 so I could breed them and make my own seeds to have an endless supply of a high CBD strain. It's not as easy as pollinating a male with a female, picking the seeds, and growing out your own high CBD plants. Yeah SOME will be high CBD, but many different phenotypes will have varying levels. I am very knowledgeable at growing cannabis; however, not so familiar with the genetics part of creating your own seeds. Sure I've made some dank ass seeds by crossing two favorite strains as a hobby/experiment, but never had anything tested because I never cared about cannabinoid ratios, I knew they would always be high THC. Now that I'm using this medicinally to treat my pain, I am so excited to try a high CBD strain to see if it's more effective. I just hope some people her can help with a couple questions.

First of all, CBD Crew claims the plants will produce 5% THC / 5% CBD. I'm sure this is just an estimate and they can be a little above or below that percentage (personally I don't care as long as they are roughly 1:1 and not lower than 5%! So has anyone actually had a CBD Crew plant tested for its cannabinoid profile? If so, what were the results? Were all plants that were tested fairly similar and close to what the breeder claims?

Another question for those more familiar with breeding. I understand the basics.. P1, F1, back crossing, etc. and I've done it many times just messing around, again just never had anything tested nor cared to. So let's say you breed a high CBD male and female. There would be many different phenotypes produced. Especially since I think these are F1's and breeding those will produce F2's that have the most unstable genetics. Do you think aside from varying traits (vigorous growth, taste, smell, color, etc.) would the cannabinoid profile change dramitcally like 20% CBD/.5% THC and vice versa? Or would many be ~5%/5% like the parents? Would backcrossing a female F2 back to the original male make it any more of a stable high CBD batch of seeds?

I just really want to better understand how breeding for CBD works because I want to make my own seeds instead of ordering expensive ass seeds all the time! I've searched many times and cannot find decent info! Any help on this would be much appreciated!

2. So I grew 2 seeds--one turned out to be male and the other is female. I removed the male early on to prevent completely seeding the whole female. I cut 2 flowering branches and placed in water to keep them going and remove pollen to selectively pollenate a branch or 2. Well the sacks never opened on their own because I didn't have a good environment for them. I only have one grow room and I didn't want him anywhere near the female. So I removed the unopened pollen sacks and let them dry out then crushed em up with a q-tip. It was a little yellow so I hope I had some useful pollen. I just brushed it on a branch so I'm hoping I get some beans! So I'm keeping the female alive as long as possible through cloning. If I get some seeds, I just plan to keep breeding the males back into the same female. I hope to do this for a few generations in order to HOPEFULLY get a relatively close cannabinoid profile as the original seeds. I don't really have the money to order more. I also don't know that I'll be able to continuously keep my grow up and running so I want some seeds in order to preserve the genetics in the event that I need to shut down.

Anyone that is knowledgable in breeding if you can chime in to give me some peace of mind that my plan is feasible, that would be great. I don't need an exact version of the original seeds, just close to the same CBD levels and I'll be happy.