Any (EX, Or Current) Pizza Place Workers? Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by CmMx112, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Whats up guys. So a friend of mine has been trying to help me get a job at Pizza Hut for about a month and a half now. Shes mentioned my name to their hiring manager several times. They are going through my application tomorrow. She said the original manager had looked at it about 3 weeks ago, and that she really liked what I had to offer, and that I had a really good chance of getting the job. And the way my friend has been talking, well it sounds like Ive basically got the job. Shes got one other person a job there before. So I trust what shes saying.

The job that I applied for, and what they were hiring for, is the pizza maker. So, I was wondering about a few things....

How hard is it to make pizzas? I assume it isnt too difficult, after you get the hang of it. Any advice?

Do they drug test Before hiring, and do they test you randomly after getting the job? Ive been clean for almost a month now, so Im not too worried about it. But I hope they dont test during, because after I start making some money, I know Im going to wana start buying a little more of the good-good :D

And what kind of atmosphere will it be? Will it be upbeat, rushing, and pushing, trying to get as many pizzas out as posible? Or will it be more laid back? The place is in a smaller community, outside of a semi-larger city.

Im wanting to get a job, and hopefully make enough after a year or so to move out on my own, and still afford to go to college. Im also wanting to save up for beach week (Even though I graduated last year, I went last year and it was the best week of my life. Such a smokey blurr! :D). And Im also trying to drop an ls1, transmition, and rear-end into my truck. So hopefully Ill get the job so I can do all of this, and have some extra money to blow.

Any extra advice will deffinatly be appreciated, and +repped :D

2. I use to be a driver for a local place...nah making pizzas is easy, but can get stressful depending on how busy it is on any certain night.

3. At my pizza place, there's some obviously baked Hawaiian dude, chilling in the back, making pizzas.

4. Hahaha, yea, my friend told me that all of the cooks there smoke, so I might end up making a few connects, and smoking friends! :hello: :D

5. you sure do have a SHIT load of plans for the money you're planning on making at Pizza Hut bro, lol. but i support big dreamers so...! :smoke:

in terms of the environment, your friend getting you the job is the best person to ask about that one. even if she's a delivery person she'll know what goes down in the kitchen. def. ask her!

hope you get the job

6. Hahahaha, well during the summer I get paid 60 bucks a week to mow a yard. So Ill have a few more bills per week :hello:

And, shes actually a cashier. Been working there for like 2 years.

7. depending on how they make it, its about 7-8/10 to make pizza's once you get the hang of it. where i used to work about 4 years ago had a heat press, place dough in the middle, bring it down and it would stretch the dough out, picked it up and stretched it out by hand a little more to the desired size. then comes sauce cheese and toppings, with a spoon or two of sauce, and about 1-2 handfulls (both hands) of cheese, and toppings accordingly (depends on pizza huts recipes obviously).

as far as drug testing, the place i worked was a mom and pop type of shop, and near the beach, so the owner blazed and didnt care if you did, as long as you got the job done without it affecting your performance (in a negative way haha). but im 75% sure that pizza hut will test you when you are hired, not sure on during.

dont know if youve worked in other kitchens, but it will be pretty fast paced. most of the work in pizzas is waiting for it and making sure it comes out perfectly cooked. we used to have 2 pizza overs stacked up on top of each other. i think pizza hut uses an automated system where you place the raw pizza at one end of an oven, it walks across a long oven like on a platform, and comes out the other size ready for boxing and delivery, but im not 100% sure on that.

as far as advice, definitely pay attention when they train you on how to actually make the pizza. a big part of this job is consistency, and being able to multiply that consistency all day long. record it in your mind, create a procedure for yourself, and repeat it. really practice it, you know. for me it was repeating it in my head to make sure i never forgot anything. dough, press, stretch, put it on peel (large wood/aluminum spatula), sauce, cheese, toppings, oven.

careful with those ovens. we used to have ours running at about 450-500F, so you burn easy and you burn quick. try and protect your arms, hands, and fingers because in pizza making, they ARE your tools.

have fun with it. pizza making is actually a lot of fun if you see the fun in it. id take a toke out of my one-hitter before my shift sometimes, and boy, watching those pizzas twirl in the air with the radio blasting in the back, they were fun times.

plus, you cant beat the pizza hook up:cool:

8. are you 12? lol. you have never made a home made pizza before? you raise the dough, kneed it flat, add tomato paste, cheese and toppings, throw it into the freakishly hot pizza oven, and in no time flat you have a pizza.

If you want my advice, the work place is basically just a pig pen. There's the more dominant individuals (not necessarily based on size) who try to run everything and boss every one around. Don't get baked before or during work, get baked after, otherwise your shifts turn into this weird time shift dimension of shit where you're so high you can't function, i've been there when I have worked in a kitchen. Don't start fights, and do your best, it's fucking fast food. it's easy.

9. d420g- Thanks man. It soulds like it wont be too dificult. And Id +rep ya, but its telling me to "spread the rep." :devious:

paenk- Naa man, Im 7.....

10. I guess so since I have never made pizza unless this counts...

[​IMG]

11. Really, bro? Is he twelve years old because he hasn't been hand kneading pizzas in his mother's kitchen for years? Ehhh...

12. And for the record, I have helped my mom make a homemade pizza before. Like 2 years ago.

Shot in the dark here, Im pretty sure making pizza at Pizza Hut is a litttle different than making pizzas with mommy ;)

13. I worked at Pizza Hut for 3 years when I was in high school. I wasn't drug tested before or during my stint there. If PH began drug testing, they would lost most of their employees. At my old shop, there were a total of 3 out of the 20 or so people who worked there that didn't toke; This old guy that's been working there since 1983, and still does (no joke) the GM and this chick who was 17.

I loved it. My main manager was a backyard wrestler and crazy as fuck, and still a good friend of mine, another manager I had was also crazy as fuck and both of them smoked me out a lot.

The job did suck sometimes, I'm in Orlando so it's really busy, especially on Friday nights. Expect to get slammed on weekends and big holidays, especially the superbowl. PH always comes out with a new thing on the day of the superbowl, they've been doing it for years. However, I'm in a very college-town type place, just between Valencia Community College and UCF, so there was a lot of college girls and that was a big plus.

The pizza isn't made in the traditional way. PH uses frozen disks of dough that you get from the truck, which are left to thaw and rise overnight. The assembly of the pizza is easier than at a lot of pizza places, in that you don't have to weigh out your toppings like at Little Ceasars. (although that may have changed by now, this was years ago)

I ended up quitting because my main manager got fired, and this dick GM moved in and made a whole bunch of stupid changes that made it really suck to work there. All the people I liked quit, so I quit too. Only reason I liked it was because the people were awesome, and once they were gone there was no reason to stay.

Hopefully your experience will be cool, like mine was. Good luck.

14. Yea, it shouldnt be too bad. I just want to make some money! :hello:

15. easy peasy. pizza hut is lazy and they use premade stuff and they use measuring cups for ingredients. so if you can take dough and stretch it to a certain point your golden

90% of my staff smoked. ha. yeah no testing.

all depends, same with any place for that matter. different people everywhere want to run things their own ways. my store was layed back during week beside rush hours, with weekends non stop busy. but this was in a pretty big town.

btw if you can, you might want to look into delivery. insiders made shit money :(

16. Thanks nolimitlex, I wanted to deliver, but having a 98 in a 55, and 69 in a 55 on my record, well, I dont think I wouldhave gotten the job. Haha.

My cousin delivered, and this one time he got a half of a dime bag as a tip. Ugg I wish I could deliver, haha :D

17. Update:

Ive got an interview tomorrow. I met 2 of the managers, one of them saying "Whats up dude, Watcha need??" And the other one obviously does some kind of drug (or was really tired) because of the bloodshot & squinty eyes. And she's the one that will be interviewing me.

Well, Ive been smoking the past couple days. I got off a 32 day T-Break and smoked like 4 days straight before I was informed of the interview. And I smoked 1 day after, which was friday... I just hope they dont test me...

Hopefuly all goes well :hello:

18. Yeah definitely. Pretty much all i've done, besides landscaping and dishwashing.

Some quick tips would be

-Wait till its a nice brown color and brown off the bottom after its on the screen. NO ONE LIKES A DOUGHY ZA

- Roll it from the middle out. Make two fists kind of and bring them, in and out in a spin motion when twirling it. (Practice one day when you are bored)

- Pop the shit out of the bubbles and put a little cheese over the crater.

and cant forget the Butter on the crust before you cut it. makes it real easy

EDIT: HAHA dude they won't test you. I can almost guarentee it. Unless its a Church or run by the goverment. Restaurants are a stoners best friend.

19. Thanks man! I really hope I get the job. As long as they dont drug test me I think I'll get it :D