Any Engineers or Engineer majors that could help me?

Discussion in 'General' started by GanjFarmer', Mar 13, 2013.

1. So do to me being the fuck up I was in High School instead of graduating I got my GED. Now with my GED the only college that will really accept me is my local Community College which isn't really a problem because it saves me money. Now say I wanted to major in Electrical Engineering, what courses could I take in CC to help me transfer to a 4 year school as an Engineer major? Everyone tells me for Engineering that CC won't do anything because they offer no courses in relation to Engineering.

My CC offers a major called, Mechatronics Engineering Technology, has anybody heard of this? If I choose this major could it help in getting into a 4 year school for Engineering?

2. I've heard of some tech programs merging into degree programs, but you'd have to check with your school and see if they have agreements with universities. Agreements mean that the connection is laid out in writing, so you won't just be fucked over and get a few partial credits. That was the case for me. I was told by my HS that transferring would be easy, but found later that I wouldn't even be admitted without the proper university-level courses, and the college marks would mean shit-all, maybe a year off of a four-year degree (after taking three years of college). So I dropped out quickly and got into university where I really wanted to be.

As for courses, you basically want a lot of math, EE's particularly deal with a lot of complex exponentials to deal with frequencies and signals and all that jazz. I'm in engineering physics but we take a common first year at my school, and I've taken EE classes as part of my discipline. It's fairly common to have 2 calculus, 2 physics, 2 chemistry courses first year, as well as perhaps linear algebra, some geological / environmental science, some labs and a design project.

3. My CC offers this program where if you go there for 2 years you're guaranteed admission to your choice of one of three colleges upon transfer. Though the 3 colleges aren't very well known, or respected to say the least. 2 are some local colleges and the other is Temple University. I suppose I could look into this and go to the school that offers an EE major. Just kind of upsets me because I had a school I was set on but don't really know how to do everything right to get there.

4. Yeah I'm not terribly useful for this, I pretty much did the direct-route and finished a couple higher-level HS courses before the next year's admission. I wish you luck in your future, OP! Hard work and determination will pave the way.

5. Thanks man.

6. Take all the math you can. Calculus if it's offered. How many actual course credits you can get is hard to say (transferring is always tough with engineering), but the more math you have under your belt, the easier it will be once you get into eng school.

A lot of EE majors will go through their first year of college without even hitting an actual EE class.

7. The community colleges in my area have a deal like this, I've got a few friends making the transition after this fall. They went and knocked out all their easy general education classes (calculus/history/stats/stuff like that) at community college, then they're going to one of the UMass-es for a community college price. Go on the school's website and look for advising and give em a call.

Good luck