Any drywallers here? Got a question ...

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by skinart, May 13, 2011.

1. I have some brick walls inside my house that I would like to drywall over ... my question is ....

Is it possible to glue or similar drywall to the brick? Or does it have to be framed first?

I don't mind the framing ... but some of it's in a hallway which is already kind of tight ... and loosing 2"'or so on each side is something I don't really want to do if I can help it ...

So what do you pro's think? We have this adhesive here called liquid nails which would stick it like shit to a blanket, but unsure if drywall if mounted so firm may crack if unable to shift with house movements during hot and cold weather?

2. Leave the closet brick frame the rest. Your gonna have moisture to. I would frame it so it can breath and also like u said shift if the house dose. Good luck with it. My thoughts.

3. Ok thank you for the advice ... I didnt even think about having to breath! whats the thinest wood i could use for that? You think I could get away with like 1 x 4s on there side? That's like 3/4" .... Gap between wall and drywall ... I think that would be enough for air breathing ... but is that enough wood to screw into? Maybe use a 1" screw ... and just use a lot of them?

4. Use 1 x 2 furring strips. They cost about a buck a piece. They measure 1 1/2" wide x 3/4" thick x 8' long. The 1 1/2" side goes to the wall so you only lose 3/4" + the thickness of the drywall on each side. Frame it along the top and bottom and then 16" on center top to bottom. For 1/2" drywall, use 1" screws. That lets you sink the head below the surface of the paper (don't break the paper! Use a drywall gun or a drill with a clutch) without bottoming out on the brick. The best way to attach the furring is use a compressor and a T - nail gun which you can rent if you don't have one. You can also use concrete nails but there's more chance of blowing out the brick if you're not careful. Fastening schedules vary but you'll be fine if you set screws every 12" around the perimeter and every 16" in the field. Keep your screws a 1/4" from the edges so you don't break the drywall.