Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Any doctors on this thread?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ogchristopher, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Do you think it would be ok for me to stop taking psych meds and trying medical marijuana? i take lexapro, depakote, and seroquel...

depakote is really for migraines anyhow.

2. Not really a doctor, but i`m a 2nd year med student.

Anyway, you could easily get MMJ in place of your regular medication if you tell your doctor that the other meds dont agree with you, he might write you a prescrip for it.

Its not like he`s gonna accuse you of trying to get drugs out of him, since your already on a bunch of em.

If you can grab a MMJ card, your a lucky bastard, you`ll have name brand high quality strains at your fingertips.

Damn i need to move to cali:D

3. I'm not a doctor but I'm an intelligent college student who used to be on anti-depressant type meds. My dad is a doctor though, and he warned me about some of this stuff, specifically:

If you come off some anti-depressants (paxil for instance) cold turkey you can have terrible withdrawl symptoms that you might want to read in to before making a decision. I used to take lexapro but that was a long time ago. I've never heard of depakote and have only taken seroquel as a ambien substitute so I can't really comment on that stuff.

4. I'm not a Doctor, I'm a 4+ year MMJ patient.

Several things WRONG with this statement.

1) It's not a prescription. It's a recommendation. Doctors are forbidden by law to write a prescription for marijuana. They are also forbidden from dispensing Marijuana.

2) DO NOT go to your regular doctor to get your MMJ recommendation. I can't stress this enough. I see a ton of people who think they can just walk into their GPs office and get a "script". You can't. There is STILL a huge stigma attached to MMJ within the medical community, and chances are your GP or your psychiatrist/psychologist won't be amenable to you using MJ at all. ESPECIALLY if you're on a ton of meds. What you need to do is go to a doctor that SPECIALIZES in MMJ recommendations. Yes, I know it's a cottage industry that makes a ton of money, but consider this:

Doctors who specialize in recommending MMJ are well versed on the extremely complicated MMJ laws, and are already predisposed to writing recommendations. They will have the proper forms that you will need to fill out (including a very long patient history, mine was 12 pages), and will give you the proper identification that you will need in case you ever have an encounter with a Local Enforcement Officer (LEO - or COP). They should also have a 24 hour/7 day a week verification system and be available to you if you have to go to court.

DO NOT EVER go cold turkey on your various anti-depressants. Instead talk to your regular doctor AFTER you get your MMJ recommendation, and explain that you want to go off your meds. Your doctor should a) try to talk you out of it, but b) give you the proper method for doing so in the end.

Good luck.

5. I'm not sure if I'd believe anyone who said anything online about someone else's meds, whether they claimed to be a doctor or not.

No one can diagnose you online, dude, you have to go to see a Cannabis doc, and they will give you the advice you seek.

See the NORML site for a list of Physicians who do recommendations.
    http://www.canorml.org/prop/215physicians.html

Please don't ask for serious drug interaction advice in a stoner's forum, we are pretty well informed, but your mental health is too serious an issue to screw around with. (And some of these prescription drugs are stone cold killers!)

6. #6 JuanRing, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2009

Damn... never knew that.

How do you find an MMJ doc then? Are they in the yellow pages or what:D

Edit: NVM, poster above me gave a link that answered my question

7. Virtually every single thread in this forum that gets started can be answered by simply reading the other threads in this forum...sad but true.

8. just so you know wildwill, in CO many GP's write RECOMENDATIONS for mmj cards. you do not have to go to a place like the THC foundation. Yes they cannot write scripts, but many GP"S still write recomendations, only some people's dont because they are afraid of how the insurance companies will come down on them.

at least thats how it is in CO, not sure about SOCAL