Any detailers out there?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by blowing smoke, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hey everyone.I've never seen anyone discuss any type of auto detaailing here.Just curious to see if anyone out there likes detailing cars,as a hobby or for money.For me there is nothing better then smoking a nice blunt and then buffing a car(especially a black car)getting rid of all the oxidation and swilr marks out the paint.Also love taking a dirty interior and making it look brand new,seeing the persons face when your down is the best.
    Any detailers out there?

Did this truck last week.Paint was horrible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my baby freshly waxed and sealed.[​IMG]

2. Wow this is really good looking design. Great collection!! I am loving it

3. What would i need exactly to do this to my car? What brands you recommend? Drill style buffer or hand done? Which compound? How long does it take?

4. I have been doing this since I bought my first car in 2009.

Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

Is what I've been using since 2011. Usually me and my brother start cars in the am and finish at the end of the day looking twice as good as it did brand new.

Oddly enough, I have a bird crap on my side mirror. It's black plastic and is baked on there, scrubbing and cleaners do not remove it. Any ideas?

5. try heating it up with a heat gun/hair dryer and using goo gone to remove it. if that doesn't work.... probably too much work but sand the whole thing down and repaint. at least its just a mirror

6. Good work man! What did you use to get rid of the swirl marks?

7. #7 dropinbiking, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
    4 year detailer here! I started detailing cars a body shop in 2009. That got me into doing my own vehicles, my parents vehicles, and friends vehicles for some free bud.

What your seeing here is the clear coat being smoothed out and all the imperfections worked out or hidden in wax. The idea is to take a fine layer off the surface of the clear coat to give it a uniform finish, and gradually get smoother with each layer.

Wet sanding is done in extreme cases (or in my case with imperfections in the painting process) You basically sand down the clear coat with a really fine wet piece of sand paper (1500>2000>2500>3000)

After that, you need to buff the surface to give it a show quality shine.

There's two (or three?) main types of compounds. The most aggressive 'cutting' compound, which works well when wet sanding isn't quite necessary. After that comes a medium compound, and than finally a polishing compound which is the finest type.

After that is done, you need to 'treat' or 'seal' the finish, to protect it from UV rays, water, and other dirt and grime. There are waxes than can be sprayed/rubbed on and built up to give the finish that extra bit of protection, colour depth, and shine.

Having a good thick wax surface on your vehicle really protects it from future scratches, and really helps when it comes to washing your vehicle.

Check out this Mazda Miata, fresh out of the paint booth. The surface was wet sanded, buffed and hand polished. Like a mirror.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Amateur detailed here! I wash my baby whenever there is any layer of dirt built up (car is stored garaged under a car cover) so probably one every 6 weeks. I do a quality hand wash and wash every square inch of paint for a few hours, then coat it with meguiars wax. Clay bar twice a year.

It's a classic so there is LOTS of chrome on the interior. I clean and polish the interior (half a days work) once a year, or as needed.

9. I've always been interested in learning to use a rotary but It seems so expensive to find one that won't eat your paint. What's your setup?

10. It's not so much the buffer you use, but what pads, and how you use it.

Variable speed is a must though.

11. anybody use Zaino products?

12. No but I hear nothing but good stuff about them.

Funny side note, I have been unemployed for a while and recently got a full time job as a detailer! Life is not so bad after all.

I picked up meguiars Ultimate compound, turtle wax polishing compound, and quixx wax to seal it all on. Working on the paint on my 04 crown victoria.