any bright ideas on how to build a compost tea maker that i can use at outdoor spot?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by dylan843, Feb 9, 2013.

1. I want to do the 5 gallon bucket air stone thing but it would be too much of a bitch to have to do it by electricity it be awesome if someone could tell me how I could make one of these with a battery or generator or something to just keep at the spot?

2. You would need a DC pump like this...DC Air Pumps

The 75 watt model would be best to provide the proper DO for microbes in a 5 gallon brewer. For smaller batches of 1-2 gallon the 25 watt would work...

These pumps are quite costly compared to AC pumps and have not heard of anyone using one that can provide feedback on the results....

In reality you only need to brew to populate(inoculate)the soil with microbes once in veg and once in flowering at most. Many growers use an act more frequent, but is not necessary to make an act brew every time.

Other than for inoculating the soil you can use a botanical(nutrient)tea that dose not require aeration and only needs to set a couple days in a container with a stirring from time to time before using to get the nutrient benefit.....

You need to question dose the cost justify the means here....
    An act, for inoculation purpose can be made indoors with an AC pump under better temperatures conditions etc and packed to the garden a couple times to inoculate and a simple nutrient tea can be done at the site on a more frequent basis...

3. Growing MJ outdoors is so different than growing indoors that I'm gonna risk the wrath of Rah for saying this; you don't need a compost tea brewer for an outdoor grow unless it's darn well convienent for you to do so. For you I suggest the following.

Get you a camo bucket probably, you have to leave it outside at the site, fill it with water and dump two full cups of rabbit scat in it. Stir it up. Put a piece of wood over the bucket held in place with a brick and everytime you come to the site for watering you stir the bucket contents up vigorously and mix 1 full cup of the rabbit scat aus jus in a gallon of water and drench. Or, do it just once weekly until it gets sorted out. Your call.

You don't need a brewed tea for an outdoor grow. Rabbit scat aus jus and compost top dressing and you're good to go. And dude, if you're growing outdoors and you don't have your compost pile started pick your spot in the yard and build you one. You're gonna need this for future near maintenance free grows. Fer shure.

Good luck and don't leave trails to your honey hole. :)

4. If it isn't a guerrilla grow, you could always hook up a solar system connected to deep cycle batteries (marina/boat batteries). You can save a ton of money by building the panels yourself, all you need is a bit of knowledge about soldering, the materials (get the solenoids off eBay; buy a lot of factory defects. They usually are just bad enough the company can't use them, though they still hold a charge.) and some tools.

If you would like, I have a few links describing how to do this efficiently and cleanly. I plan on this being my project for next winter. :D

5. #5 dylan843, Feb 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013

Thanks! Hell yes I think this is the way I'm going to go. What I will be doin for water is goin out and buying a shit ton of gallons of distilled water from walmart(on that note they also have drinking and spring water...will these work just as well?) So I would fill up my buckets with that water...then do the rabbit scat mixing...and then I take a cup out and mix with each gallon of water I water with? Or is it like I just pour a cup on the plants and then drench with water?

And what do you mean by compost top dressing? Is that different than just having compost in the soil mix?

And someone else above said it would be benefitial to do one tea in veg and one in flower...I was thinking about doing this how much will it help? Since I have 17 plants ill just man up and carry 3 of them there veg and flower and ill make it at my home...thoughts on this?

Sorry for all the questions I'm tryin to understand this shit haha

6. I saw some solar powered airstones on ebay...how much power demand would I need for a 10 gallon bucket? it is a gurrella grow but I think ill be able to hide it. Ill just dig a hole and cover with plywood and then leaves and run the solar panels out of it so they get light. And yes id love the links. Probably gunna keep it simple this year but would. Love to try it next time.

7. If possible maybe you could do it at home and then just carry the compost tea there and spray it? You could inconspicuously put it in a CamelBak and just walk there.

8. Yeah that seems pretty harmless, so its just as effective spraying on the actual plant rather than pouring a gallon or so in the ground?