Any botanists?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by treestand, Aug 14, 2011.

1. I'm interested in botany and I just want to know if anyone here is a botanist

2. I'm about to finish my degree in Horticulture but I wouldn't say I'm a botanist. I love plants though...I enjoy botany as well

3. See cause I have always loved plants and now I want a career in it but I don't know anything about the degrees and colleges I'm just looking for suggestions

4. Well. There's landscaping, greenhouses, nurseries, garden centers, etc.

I'm trying to get into greenhouse myself. What do you think you'd like to do?

5. I'm in my last year of a Horticultural Science degree myself. I'm more interested in plant breeding and micro propagation. If you are interested in the academic side of plants like classifying them and learning their biology, or are interested in maybe teaching then I would say to look for a college or university that offers a degree in Botany. If you are more interested in actually growing plants, breeding plants, and other horticultural techniques like grafting and cloning, then I would look for one that offers a degree in Horticulture.

Most colleges that offer degrees in Horticulture will offer different specializations like Greenhouse Management, Landscaping, Horticultural Science, ect. I chose the Horticultural science one because I enjoy the science stuff like biology and biochemistry.

As far as jobs and stuff you can get with the degree really depends on the area you focus on, but you can get a job at most nurseries or landscaping businesses with any of the Horticulture jobs. Botany degrees are more for academic careers. Many Horticulture majors also start their own business and work for themselves. I'm planning on moving to Colorado after I complete my degree and servicing the MMJ industry.

6. staring at circles through a microscope, randomly guessing what it was is about all I got out of botany class :D

7. I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, that count?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ah8WTL2i8]Holiday Inn Express Helicopter commercial.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

8. I too am looking into Horticulutre/Botany when I start college next year.