any body here fight?

Discussion in 'General' started by Computer, May 19, 2008.

1. fight as in self defense etc. sometimes i encounter "problems" in life and it requires me to kick ass and defend myself, but when i do, i find myself "street fighting" meaning i'm doing all i possibly can to defend myself and to hurt the "attacker". i don't really have a "method". meaning im limited. i get by. meaning no ones ever really hurt me yet. and at the rate im going i really think it's important to learn to defend myself. everybody should learn that i think. its important. i would really like to learn to really FIGHT. im not crazy or a fight addict or anything like that. but i am a man in a modern society. so that means any thing can happen at any given time. what im basically asking for is should i take lessons? martial arts? taekwondo? which one? does anybody train here? what im doing right now is continuing to build my muscle mass. im buff. people say i am. but right now im working on getting big. not buff, not ripped, but muscle big. not for fighting really, but cause im a health nut too. and im pretty sure that getting bigger can contribute to a fight. thanks guys. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Few things I would recommend.
    Believe it or not yoga. Muscles are always good to have, but you need to be able to be flexable and know how to stretch properly.
    I have taken both Taekwondo and Tai Chi, loved them both. I recommend you also study jujitsu as well, ground game is very important. Submissions are a wonderful thing.

3. Personally Id look into street fighting. Straight up streetfighting/bare-knuckle/underground fighting.

4. i took a summer of taekwondo when i was like 9. im 25 now. which of those you mentioned above should i start with? cause i know doing all that at the same time would eat up all my free time or life time for that matter. thank you very much btw.

5. Meet an MMA fighter the other night at a party, supposidly he was sponsored by Affliction, cool dude by the way. I actually went there to fight one of his friends but decided not when he showed up, dude was big stoked as hell. I mean I am a big guy but this dude was stoked.

6. It might take you awhile to do(I think you need backgrounds in other martial arts) but all my martial artists friends say that the best fighting style you can learn is Jeet Kune Do(Bruce Lee's style). It's a cross between american boxing and eastern martial arts manuevers. Bruce Lee used to say he wanted to get rid of the fluff of martial arts and make a fighting style and this is what he came up with. I've seen it in action and OMFG I've seen people get wrecked by it.

Pronounced G-Kun-Doe(I probably didn't spell it correctly)

7. I feel ya dude, thats how i was back in high school, i took advantage of our schools gym with weights and bench's. I don't really like to fight though, if someone messes with me, i usually just be the bigger man and walk away, but if someone messes with a friend, thats different lol, i'll lay their ass out.

8. would you really recommend that? do you have any fighting experiences or anything? if so, then where should i look up street fighting? do they teach anything like that somewhere? i dont think i want to do a fight club kind of thing. i know it would be very efficient, but i can't and don't want to be bruised or injured or possibly acquire brain damage every day or every session.

9. all you really gotta do is box with your buddies and sooner or later you get comfortable with it and when and if a time comes that you feel you gotta kick some ass you can prolly handle the average dude

10. MMA fighter? what's that? and no, a much as i'd like to, i don't want to be in a FIGHT CLUB type deal because of i don't wanna be bruised, injured or acquire brain damage per session. i'm really looking for self defense. i wish there was like a place or class that teaches street fighting without actually getting pounded everyday. self defnse is key word here. im not hungry to hurt anybody. but i do get extremely hungry to hurt somebody when im threatened, but like i said, i have no way of properly executing that. i just get in to it "my way" and i have gotten lucky. i can't rely on luck. i need proven and well studied methods.

11. fuckin' sweet. i'll look this up.

12. Tell me what you think when your done :p

13. Take Krav Maga.

I trained at EliteMMA gym with Bas Rutten for 2 years and have trained in Krav Maga, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Tai, and classical boxing.

Krav Maga was made for self-defense and was created by the Israeli military. I highly recommend you take that if you are looking for a good street style self-defense knowledge base.

14. M-M-A stands for Mixed Martial Arts

He basically was a small time UFC guy, I think he was either a middle weight or a light heavy weight. If you watch some of the UFC fights, you will notice that these mother fuckers don't play. There is a show on Spike all about this shit.

15. i go by those morals as well. but there are times when people sucker punch me. and that basically means i have to bring this bitch down before he puts me down. get it? self defense. im not into hurting people, but when im being threatened then it's time to hurt him to a point where he'll either back off, have people pull him out, or get beat. i live in los angeles sometimes during the year. and there are lots of crazies out there. i would like to put a fucker down and defend my girlfriend, my friends, my family and myself.

16. this sounds brilliant too. will look it up.

17. i have done that before. i think it's a great idea. but realistically i don't know a lot of people that are down for a fun fight. i use to do that with my buddies back in my teens.

18. I've never been in a fight; never needed to. If it came down to self defense I'd fight back, but no way would I go around looking to beat someone's ass for the hell of it.

19. im familiar. bur i didn't really get in to the ufc. i'll pay more attention. thanks dudes. anybody know great fighting forums?

20. same here man. but so far in my life i have been in those situations where i needed to defend myself. i've got morals like you. everyone should have our mentality. but everybodys different. and that is why i need to step it up.