Any Astrologers around here?

Discussion in 'General' started by imageek, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Hey,

Just wondering if there's any astrologers around here. I'm looking to buy a good telescope for my son and I. He loves space and I'm into physics so it's about time I purchased one so we can do something cool.

Budget, around £2,000. I'd like something decent. Ideally something that can go far out and see galaxies. Also be cool if it was able to auto focus from a database or something. I've been looking at the Orion SkyQuest XT10i. Apparently they say it can view "nebulas, galaxies, star clusters, and close-up study of the Moon and planets".

I'd like to test one if possible but need to find someone in the UK who is willing to. There was a local astrology club not far from where I live but they shut up shop in 2014.

Any advice is much appreciated.

2. Astronomy, not astrology.. but it really depends on how much you want to spend. I got my first telescope when I was 9 or 10, wasn't an expensive one.. but if you play with the eye pieces, you can see some good stuff. With mine, I was able to see Saturn and its rings.. Jupiter's red spot and moons and even the shadows the moons created on the surface. Saw a few nebulae.. they aren't as colorful as you see in photos, but they still had color and were pretty neat. It'll be tough to see many galaxies well from Earth though, but they're out there. Someday I'd like to visit an area where I can see the Andromeda galaxy, that would be awesome to look at through a telescope.

3. Ah my bad. I smoked a vape before I posted this. I'm relient on autotext.

I remember a couple years ago I was at a party in a cottage in Yorkshire. It was remote, and had a much better view of the stars. There was less pollution up there. The dude who owned it had a telescope and I ended up smoking a joint and sitting there all night gazing at the stars. It was amazing to see the moon, in such clarity.

I had a hard time finding anything else. I tried, but I had to keep calling the dude over to put it back on the moon. I didn't want to mess up his telescope settings.

I remember I felt amazing looking into space. The feeling was awesome. I want my kid to feel that feeling. As a kid I had a telescope but it wasn't very good. I couldn't really see the moon as I did at the cottage.

My budget is around £2000. Only because he has such a high interest in space and I know he will appreciate it.

We live in a low polution area (not as low as Yorkshire, but decent).

4. I don't just want to look into space I want go there as well and visit another planet lbvs.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Heard it!
    Astronomy my arse. Your creeping about fields in the dales looking for dogging spots lol

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. Really, you could probably find a decent telescope for that.. but like I said, the eye pieces are an important part too. I've been "out of the game" for awhile, so I'm not much help.. but I would never want to discourage someone from looking into space. There really is this awe inspiring feeling about it.. and me showing my cousin Saturn and Jupiter is what inspired him to get into NASA. So I say go for it.. don't get too hung up on the brand and the bells and whistles. They do make some good programs where you can tell the telescope what to look at and it'll find it automatically.. even track it for you. That was always a pain.. especially when you're looking at something far away. Jupiter only stayed in the frame for like a few seconds.. would have been nice to have a tracking program back then.

7. Ha Ha! Laughing so hard because it's true. There's a good few dogging spots up in the Dales. I've never been to one myself *cough* but they're meant to be pretty aweomse!

8. That was like me with the moon. I'd knock the telescope ever so lightly with my eye and it was gone.

Your cousin applying to NASA? That'd be pretty cool. You're right, it is awe inspiring. The feeling is amazing and it's impossible to explain. It really makes you realize that we are so small in the grand scheme of things. It's sad that not many people get to actually look into space. I think all kids should experience it.