Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

anxiety

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by cunegonde, Mar 30, 2018.

1. I have debilitating anxiety and PTSD. The kind of anxiety where you don't leave your house or communicate with other people for days at a time. The things that cause the worst anxiety for me are health problems (both in myself and others). I recently lost a close friend to sudden cancer, and then a family member had a heart attack. Now I've got doctors investigating my own potential health problems. I am at the end of my rope, I don't think I can stay sane at this level of anxiety much longer.

I think the last strain I chose was a bad strain for me personally, or I could be just using too much. I talked to the budtender at the local dispensary and he recommended a strain they had, so I switched to that yesterday. It does work on the anxiety, it doesn't eliminate it but it pulls me away from the edge of the cliff.

I'm not relying on cannabis to cure my anxiety, I don't think it can do that alone. I'm getting some counselling in place, and I've also realized that I'm bottling up some big emotions and I need to let them out.

Does anyone else want to share experience of treating PTSD or anxiety with cannabis? I'd love to skip some of the trial and error.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. I can't relate, sorry, but doing yoga while medicated is something you might want to consider. It helps you focus, relax the mind, connect mind and body, and feel better. Try an app like Down Dog. Good luck and stay healthy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. That actually sounds really good. I don't think I could physically do yoga right now but I'm definitely going to do that once I'm able to.

4. The ratios of THC to CBD of cannabis strains is the main factor for treating anxiety and these are some of the cannabis strains which can be helpful in anxiety treatment:
    1.Granddaddy Purple
    2.Jack Herer
    3.Girl Scout Cookies
    4.ACDC

• Like Like x 2
  5. I actually think thats some what true but i believe its mire the Strain and the terpenes even mire then the CBD amount. Im a 2 month medical Marijuana patient and still learning as i go myself. But from what ive witnessed and what works for me ended up being a 60% THC only India oil. I started out on a 29% CBD to 33% 1:1 Sativa Harlequin and it gave me anxiety.

Everyone is different and its definitely a trial and error testing game until you find the perfect strain and ratio that works for you. Even the different Indicas will act differently. Also start out with a very low dose. The lower the dose the better for anxiety until you get some tolerance. To much no matter the strain at first will not make you feel good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I still think CBD works best with some THC in it. even if its only 2%. It activates the CBD. The problem with plain CBD is it takes a ton of it to have any effect on most people and that Can get really expensive. And for some people pure CBD does nothing in regards to pain relief and anxiety and it needs some THC in it to work.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. I can't handle sativas very well so I'm avoiding that. I've been trying different strains for 4 months now and I prefer indicas, even a sativa-heavy hybrid can be a bit too up for me. I need to bring my energy down, not pump it up.

I just starting switching from hybrids to indicas and that's working better. My LP offers a bunch of different CBD strains, some listed as sativa, some hybrid, some indica. Some are closer to even THC/CBD but the strain I was looking at is 7.1% THC/11.4% CBD. It's supposed to be an indica dominant hybrid so I'll give that a shot next. All of the CBD-only oils and tinctures are way too expensive.

If I plan to make edibles out of them, will the CBD still be active? I can't smoke, I usually take half a gram in a firecracker once a day when needed.

8. Im the exact same way. I only can yse Indicas. Even Indica hybrids are no good for me. I need 90 to 100% Indica strain. Keep in mind edibles no matter how little the dose there still stronger because it digests in your liver and turns into a stronger form of THC. Thats why i Vape. All i need is one hit on the vape and im good for a couple hours. Ive decided i will always vape and it my go too. Not a fan of edibles and cant smoke because of asthma.

9. I have a vape pen for concentrates, occasionally I'll combine a low dose edible with the vape pen, or on days where I need a more immediate effect I'll use it, but it's nowhere near as effective for me. I live in an apartment barely wide enough to fit a futon, I get extremely paranoid about smells and don't have the money to drop on a good vaporizer. I've perfected my firecrackers to have almost no smell, which is a must. I get so worried about someone smelling it, it causes the same anxiety I'm trying to treat.

10. What State are you in? Are your Vape pens a potent oil? Here in Pennsylvania the medical oil vapes are pretty powerful run around 60% THC. And one hit you definitely feel it. It sounds like you have your system figured out but just have to find the right strain for you.

11. I'm in Canada. I'm definitely getting closer to the right strain, I've been able to dial the amount I use way back.

12. Thats good.

13. any cannabis strains with beta caryophyllene BCP will help anxiety... anything with it in there will too like whole black peppercorns Cannabis Black Pepper.
    it's a very interesting topic that may interest you, the cannabimimetics... it's titrating your cannabis dose with other canna similar compounds so you need less cannabis over all... the omega threes too become your endogenous cannabinoids synthesized in your body
    http://themodern.farm/studies/Omega-3 Deficiancy Abolish Endocannabinoid Function.pdf

14. That's definitely something to look into, thanks!

I'm trying my first CBD strain this afternoon. I'll see how it goes.

15. I made about .75 of a gram into a firecracker - slightly larger than my usual dose. I don't know for sure that's not too much, but I've gone higher than that on high THC strains so I'm not worried. Just waiting for it to be finished.

I'm a little worried CBD won't have an effect in firecrackers though - this site says:

" CBD has very low oral bioavailability, meaning that only a fraction of the CBD one would take in pill form ends up in the bloodstream and hitting the relevant receptors in the nervous system. "

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/whats-the-right-dose-of-cbd

I don't know if that means a CBD firecracker won't work very well.

16. In my quest to alleviate anxiety I find that if we often take too much of something it will cause the opposite effect. This includes weed when I take my oil and if I take too much I get major anxiety and I've been battling it for 15 years. I am finally at a point where it is manageable, thanks to canna oil, EFT, and Ribes, which is a homoeopathic medicine, I use for adrenal fatigue. It is what works for me, everyone is different.

17. Not sure if I have ptsd but anxiety and depression are my jam. Cannabis alone was not enough. Actually made it worse. There are a lot of herbal supplements that I’ve tried through the integrative medicine rout. St johns wort for depression, Passion flower for anxiety, valerian root for anxiety and sleep and plenty of others. A big help was cognitive therapy because it showed my I’m not wrong and it taught me how to handle the world better. Ever day is a struggle but every day is a new opportunity to learn a new skill or over come an old hurdle. Honestly though at this point of my life, if I eat carbs and sugar I’m literally debilitated and miserable. So clean eating, positive human interactions, some herbal supplements and that good good dank green and I’m smiling more then I was years back. Have my first kid on the way in a few weeks. Send me a message I’d you wanna talk herbal supplements and brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. I use ashwaganda for adrenal support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. I feel you. I have PTSD and anxiety and my medical weed has helped tons with that. I smoke flower mostly, although I have also used cartridges and disposable pens. Sativa is my favorite altho I sometimes use Indica at night. Either one works...basically it allows me to step out of whatever problem is happening, and look at it objectively. Then I can figure out what to do. My anxiety goes away quicker than it used to. Full blown anxiety attacks last only a couple minutes, whereas before they'd be much longer. I am so glad I got on the medical marijuana program and so is my husband lol.
    Anyway, it all depends on what works for you. Some MM dispensaries will have descriptions of their strains, which includes a list of ailments that particular strain is a treatment for. I agree that cannabis can't CURE anxiety but it can alleviate it quite a lot. Some strains I've used are Lemon G, Golden Goat, Fruity Pebbles, Elphaba's Bliss and Clementine. I've found that everything I've tried works well for me but everyone is different. I guess you just need to shop around. Good luck!!!