Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

anxiety

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by ibuprofen87, Jun 26, 2012.

1. #1 ibuprofen87, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
    I have quite a bit of experience with smoking. I've experienced "the terror" on numerous occasions, but it was atypical and only happened after like 10s of bong hits.

Lately however, almost every time I smoke I get serious anxiety. Like, I take a single drag off my one-hitter and I'm in for 30 minutes of terrified anxiety before I can calm my self down enough to enjoy it. I know getting paranoid about your heart-rate is common, but no matter how much I tell my self that there is no risk, that I'm a healthy, active young person, I still have to cut off all stimulus and just while away the minutes. I'm pretty sure I've had several full fledged panic attacks when this happens during a heavier smoking session.

I believe this is caused by a spike in real-life anxiety I've been dealing with lately (plus my latent disposition to panic while high), but it is completely non-productive. If I decide while I'm sober that I want to relax for a few hours I should be able to regardless of what is happening in my life.

Anybody have similar experiences? Any advice for coping or eliminating it? More generally; how do you control anxiety and fear when on mind-altering substances? I feel bad that I freak out with something as innocuous as marijuana; I'm not confident enough in my ability to let go to try the rest of the things I wish to experience.

2. #2 engadine, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
    I think you should look into meditation immediately, it helped me get over some very traumatic experiences that weed made me more aware of and helped deal with years of anxiety. It's taken me around 6 months of mindfullness to get to the stage where my anxiety no longer feels present but it's a very powerful tool to have in your life. Most people don't understand meditation because they've never been troubled with the same sort of problems as you and me - anxiety is a very vicious way of thought.

http://www.freebuddhistaudio.com/audio/details?num=LOC78

3. Edit out the part about the shroom, other drugs are considered umentionables. Now onto your questions. Most of the time a rise in panic attacks or freak outs will occur whenever your really stressed, or you are having a lot of panic issues. If you are then maybe you need to take a t break, wait a month or so and see of your anxiety goes away. Then when your ready smoke again, and if you smoke and you still freak out then maybe marijuana isnt for you, or at least in smoking form. Now as for calming yourself down while high. All you have to do is think, no ones ever died of an overdose, and keep saying positive things about life and your outlook and you should be able to calm down.

4. I think it is highly related to your everyday-life anxiety you are experiencing when not smoking. I know when I am very stressed out and try to smoke to calm myself down, it can sometimes turn into anxiety as well. Maybe if you tried to trick your mind into relaxing instantly once you start toking, the anxiety would go away. Good luck!