Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety Problems

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by seanthetoker, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Hey blades, I was wondering if someone could help me out but first a little background information. I live in Illinois and I am going to college in Colorado. Its my first semester of college ever. So far its been great; cant complain at all. I used to get high all the time and have a great time, no anxiety or anything. the summer before I moved out to colorado is when it started getting weird. I had a girlfriend during summer and we smoked all of the time and it was great. I broke up with her because whenever I would smoke these thoughts killed all the feelings I had for her. She was the best thing that has ever happened to me and we had plans to go all of the way.

starting last summer and up till now, whenever I smoke I have terrible anxiety issues. I obsess over these thoughts that I don't belong and that everyone is talking shit about me. I feel like I don't belong whenever I smoke by myself and when I smoke with friends or family I feel like they are hiding something from me or talking shit about me.

I have trouble going to parties because I have a terrible social anxiety issue. smoking makes it worse. when i am at a party having a good time and i step outside to smoke a bowl with some people I leave right after we are done. I cant handle all of the people. its overwhelming.

I know moving out to CO may have had something to do with it because last summer I was scared as shit because I didn't know what to expect and I was going to be alone. on top of that all of the work i have to do gets to me.

Sometimes the anxiety gets so bad that I throw up. Whenever my mind is occupied I dont have these thoughts. but 95% of my high is obsessing over these thoughts.

Im looking for advice on how to deal with this anxiety or whatever it is. Has anybody had anything similar to this happen to them????
    I really do NOT want to stop smoking because I love it and has been a huge part of my life for about 3 years.

Sparknotes: Anxiety, obsessive thoughts, social anxiety when I am high. Dont want to stop smoking. Advice on how to get over it?

Thank you gc:smoking:

Sean.

2. get exercise, meditate, do something, go see a doctor

3. Meditate.

Eventually you'll be able to come to terms with your fear, and you'll realize it's only in your head.

Don't worry man, I have severe anxiety and have learned to manage and control panic attacks.

Anxiety makes for an arduous life, but it get's easier. :)

4. I also get really bad anxiety that isn't related to anything real. Pretty much just finding stuff to worry about (like you thinking people are talking shit about you).

The single biggest thing that has helped me has been learning how to do "deep breathing exercises". It is amazing how it starts to calm you after about 30 seconds or so. The increased oxygen flow to your brain essentially gets you high and is actually beneficial to you (memory, etc.).

I've been in a funk lately and have not been doing it as often as I usually do.

It's very understandable that you don't want to stop smoking weed even though it is contributing somewhat to your anxiety. It makes mine worse sometimes too, but I know for a fact I'd still have anxiety if I stopped smoking b/c I didn't start toking up until age 21 and I had had anxiety for years before that.

I do not personally recommend going to a doctor for psychological issues (unless you are losing your grip on reality or something). I find the environment to be somewhat bizarre. Although there are most likely many good psychologists, I'm very skeptical of having someone make a profit off my troubles. Talk to a good friend or family member when you are in a tough place in life. After school special kind of shit, ya know?

Hope things smooth out for you!

Seriously, look up some guides on breathing exercises. No joke, has significantly changed my life for the better.

Take a hit for me, if you can. I'm dry!

5. I used to meditate all of the time. I used to have a great self-image and had a ton of confidence with women. I used to live on top of the world.

All of that is gone.

What are some good meditations that you recommend I do? I am familiar with chakra meditation but nothing else.

Thank you

6. hey man just wanted to say, no matter what you do, don't go on antidepressants (the docs will give you these for anxiety). they are hell on some people. I am currently coming off effexor and it's bad fuckin' news. don't even try it. I also have anxiety issues, except i have generalized anxiety disorder, not social anxiety. It's too bad, cause I actually find smoking helps my anxiety a lot.

7. It's your thought process bro. Instead of worrying about things like that focus on the moment and just try to laugh at the little things. It's a lot harder for life to get you down when you're busy smiling. The way you look at things determines how you feel, so if all you're ever thinking about is stuff like this you're only continuing the cycle.

8. Yeah, like others are saying, it's all in your head.

For about a half year, whenever I smoked I would get really panicky like that. I would sit down to watch TV but I wouldn't concentrate on what was actually on the TV. I'd panic myself and my mind would go crazy. Is my heart beating normally? I can't feel my chest. Maybe my heart's stopping. Why do I feel light headed? Is something wrong with me?

It's all apart of your head. I've been dealing with anxiety for...well...forever pretty much, and I can tell you that you, and only you, can control it.

I know it sounds cliche, but start thinking positively. It's as simple as that. When you smoke, force yourself to think positively. Think about an upcoming sports game, etc...

9. I like to think of it in this way: Every though, every emotion, is dependant on your biology and what you consume, thus every bad feeling is dependant on what you consume, be it suicidal feelings or extreme anxiety it only depends on lack of vitamins and nutrients in your physical body, usually just a temporary lack of nutrients.

Don't want to sound like a complete hippy but take off your shoes and walk barefeet on grass (or wear sandals if you're self concious) get some dirt on your feet, sounds weird but I guarantee 100% you will feel better.

I use to suffer from extreme dysphoria, I just felt like a dirty hobo that shoots up hard drugs smells of piss and shit, asking other people for money and sleeps on the street. Even though I never consumed hard drugs and never begged for money.

10. #10 weednotcrack, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    I used to have anxiety and depression, thought weed was helping it, but it was hit and miss because only indica strains can help anxiety and seeing how it's harder now to get pure strains due the increase of strain crossing, it was rare to get a strain that helped anxiety. So I continued to smoke weed for depression.

I eventually started doing yoga, which got me into deep breathing. Deep breathing is great for anxiety because when you are experiencing anxiety your heart rate goes up and deep breathing slows down the heart rate. But when my family members would make fun of me for randomly deep breathing, I realized it isn't best to do in public...:laughing:
    I was already walking daily, then I started to lift weights and jogging. That's when my anxiety really started to fade away. You see, people who do aerobic exercise have a lower resting heart rate. Thus, I didn't have to do deep breathing all the time, because my heart rate was naturally low. The benefits I was getting from exercise and the healthier diet I was eating was enough for me to lower the amount of weed I was consuming. When it came time to renew my medical marijuana card, I decided I didn't need it anymore. I was getting high off the endocannabinoids, my body's own cannabis.

Wired to run: exercise-induced endocannabinoid si... [J Exp Biol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

"Endocannabinoids (eCBs) are endogenous neurotransmitters that appear to play a major role in generating these rewards by activating cannabinoid receptors in brain reward regions during and after exercise.
    "

Scientists Find New Sources of Plant Cannabinoids Other than Medical Marijuana? « Montana Biotech

"Fruits and veggies represent another source, if not treasure troves, of compounds which may interact with the endocannabinoid system.
    "

Fitness - Exercise: How Does This Promote A Healthy Mind And ...

Exercise helps fight anxiety, depression - USATODAY.com

Diet and Exercise to Improve Mental Health

"One of the primary ways you can help to prevent mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety and schizophrenia, and achieve a healthy state of being is to eat a balanced diet...Along with a balanced diet, exercising regularly also facilitates a healthy mind, improving mood and providing emotional stability."

Does Exercise Lower The Heart Rate? | LIVESTRONG.COM

Oh, and I forgot to add the fact of my increase of socialization helped when my depression, but if it wasn't for the diet and exercising, I wouldn't be as sociable as I am now.

http://www.mentalwellnesstoday.com/.../155-relieve-depression-through-socialization

"Researchers from the University College Dublin (UCD) completed a study showing that people who participated in some form of social interaction felt less symptoms of depression."

11. I have never done any formal meditation (outside of visualization before wrestling matches:eek:)

I just like to sit in a relaxed position and reflect on fears, regrets, phobias, likes, dislikes, or simply my day.

I feel such reflection allows me to better understand myself as a person, which seems to ease my anxiety.

That said, I've often meditated during, or after, a good yoga session.

For some reason stretching and other physical activity help my mind settle. :)

12. I am in the same boat my friend. I pretty much had to quit in March because a bad panic attack/low blood sugar attack. I have been exercising, taking yoga classes, and taking vitamins (multi, D, Magnesium, Omega 3). I am pretty much back to my normal self. I have not hit the volcano vaporizer yet though. Not sure when I will. Just concentrating on getting healthy first. See a doc if you can for a checkup, etc. It may not hurt. It is how I found out I had LOW Vitamin D.

13. For me weed actually help my anxiety. I have it really badly. I went on a course for it even and they said to physically put your hand out and say stop every time you feel yourself getting anxious. Obviously when in public do it mentally. It takes determination and practice but really does help. Hope it helps cos I know how you feel.

14. I have OCD really bad, but right now it is under control for the most part. I used to analyze almost every detail of every conversation I had with people, and for no reason at all. This happened when I was sober...Anyway, over time I have learned to push these thoughts and analyses to the back of my mind...not eliminating them, but realizing that they are only in my mind. My advice, and what helped me, is asking yourself: What would happen if I stopped thinking about these things? The answer is nothing...and then you realize that you only need to focus on the present. Carpe diem...cliche but so damn true. I wish you the best.

15. Talk to a doctor. Get some Zanex. Don't bar yourself out on em and keep a level head to stay independent of them but when you're really struggling they really mellow you out.

16. No...just..no..:mad:

17. .....

18. I use to do lines of Ket occasionaly but that's because it has been linked to destroy anxiety permanently. All your problems disappear.