Anxiety Does It Again

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by bdeslaur, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Well, the story starts yesterday. I was expecting a check from my lawyer in the mail. I had to go to the post office to get it. As I was waiting in line, my heart started beating and my hands started shaking. I have such trouble with money since my brain injury. Immediately when I got it, I cashed it. My Mom only allowed me to have $150. Guess what? I spent all of it on new pipes, bubblers, and a grinder. I feel horrible about it. Do you guys have any methods to managing money better?

2. Yes. But you have to take your life into your own hands in order for it to work.
    Day i bought my house and had insurance, property taxes, hydro bills. Groceries, vehicles, cable, internet....
    Its just called growing up. I understand your situation OP but you cant expect someone to give you awnsers to help you understand how to manage your money untill you imerse yourself in the real world and cut the umbilical cord.
    Im not trolling you im just saying growing up and taking life into your own hands is the only way to trully understand life and learn how to manage money.
    For example that jaguar i think it was you wanted.
    Huge waste of your money bud.
    A cheaper car still gets you from point A to point B.
    If you can drive a motor vehicle. Which can at any point accidentally take another persons life in the blink of an eye (from a accident or whatever), you can live your own life.

I moved out when i was 18 not because i had family issues but because i wanted to.
    I worked hard and made good money eventually.
    But at first i wasted it all on stupid shit, we all have and thats ok.
    But eventually i learned to juggle my funds to make ends meet.
    You will too but you first gotta take the plunge and go out on your own.
    But thats very hard to do if you got parents who will say things like you wont make it, life is tough ect.

You'll learn to manage your money eventually OP. Might not be today, maby not tomorrow but your day will come.
    And youl make the same mistakes and waste money on the same things untill you finally figure it all out.

Im rooting for yah as i do for anyone who wants to take reality on head on.

Its tough and at times confusing as fuck but eventually it'll all come together and youl figure it out.
    Peace Blade! :smoking:

Disclaimer: i am by no means a expert just speaking from personal experience lol.

• Like Like x 3
  3. for myself managing money came with responsibility. college isn't free nor are other things and they come first.

there are a lot of things I need and would like. but for now the best thing to teach yourself on how to handle money is having no money.

4. I'm an older person with bipolar disorder and some executive function loss. I get hypomanic and spend. Frankly what has worked for me is to let my wife keep control of the money. I always have spending money and get everything I need and a lot I just want. But there is a filter there between me and spending which allows me to not buy everything I think I need right when I think of it. With a brain injury it just may take you a bit more effort to get control of your spending. It's good your Mom can help. Hope you got some nice stuff. Don't feel guilty, just enjoy. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I agree, I think it's awesome your mom is there to help. Check out Dave Ramsey, might be a good place for you to start. Also, be compassionate with yourself. You may still have a ways to go, but look where you started.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Get OpenOffice, get a spread sheet going, put your amount at the top, then deduct each and every little expense.

IMO, buying multiple pipes, bubblers, and a grinder is kinda silly (especially if you didn't need em.

7. Bledsaur do you need a care giver because of your brain injury?

8. Is OpenOffice budgeting software? I need to start budgeting myself.

9. So you know how there is the Microsoft Office suite? With Word, PowerPoint, Excell, Access Database? It costs like $150 or some rediculous amount.

Well there is a company called Apache OpenOffice which is basically the entire Microsoft office suite, but it's open source software, and it's 100% free, and you get all the extra lil' nick nacks and features.

Excell is just a spreadsheet program and it's not too difficult to use, you can make budgets and all sorts of stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks!